Alternate language titles

andrewds

andrewds

Is there support for alternate language titles? If for example I want to localize my account in Spanish it would be nice if I could search El Señor De Los Anillos if I'm looking for The Lord of the Rings. I looked at metadata configurations and I don't see any way currently to define something like this.

• Agree 1

andrewds

Thanks for this tip @crusher11. I was thinking more along the lines of support for a list of titles and their language/locales. For example, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (en-gb) versus Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (en-us). This way if I have made a language selection for my user profile I can receive localized titles.

I realize this gets into more complex problems about localized titles potentially implying availability of audio dubbing, subtitles, locale-specific edits (e.g. removal of Nazi iconography from German releases), etc. Those things could be mitigated with UI notices when the available audio language doesn't match the localized title language or there are no subtitles available matching the localized title language.

For me, the titles would be enough. I have a user who has difficulty with written English but is perfectly functional in spoken English so simply being able to locate titles in another language would be a big help.

Edited by andrewds

• 10 months later...
laie_techie

My wife is foreign born. Sometimes we like to watch movies with the audio in her native language with English subtitles; other times we watch in English with her native language as the subtitles. I've suggested in other threads about adding localization to the NFO files or metadata database tables.