Emby Theater Home Screen - Live TV

rbknox

Add a recording by search

Everything is grouped in the search results, by series or movie, so you need to click into it, and then on the next screen you can see that information with each individual airing.

rbknox
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Everything is grouped in the search results, by series or movie, so you need to click into it, and then on the next screen you can see that information with each individual airing.

I understand the grouping.  The point is that the content from my libraries is not relevant to a adding a TV recording.   It just confuses the scheduling process.

In any case, what about the lack of call sign and channel number information for active and completed recordings?   Can this be added please?

• 4 weeks later...
rbknox
On 4/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, rbknox said:

OK now I see what you mean, the home screen section. Yes that can be resolved. Thanks.

Luke, I see this has been improved.  In ET if I click OK on an active recording on the main screen,  I now get an action screen, including the option to play the active recording.   Question:  Was this an update as part of 3.0.20?  And, does ET update automatically?

thanks,

rbknox
On 4/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, rbknox said:

I would say you are wrong in that providing the station call sign / channel number anywhere in the context of a recording is the exception rather than the rule for Emby.    Here's a quick summary of what I see:

Add a recording by guide (a bit moot since you start with the channel and therefore know it), but as you confirm the recording call sign and channel are displayed
Add a recording by search: no call sign or channel provided.  Basically if you search to record, you are accepting whatever instance of the broadcast that Emby decides
Scheduled recordings:  call sign is displayed and channel number is provided on the context detail screen
Active recordings:  no call sign or channel number displayed, even in detail/info screens
Completed recordings:  no call sign or channel number displayed, even in detail/info screens

During an active recording, the station call sign is now included in the summary screen (another 3.0.20 improvement?).   But when reviewing a show that has been fully recorded (completed recording), one is still flying blind as to what the channel number / call sign of the completed recording actually was.   

5 hours ago, rbknox said:

During an active recording, the station call sign is now included in the summary screen (another 3.0.20 improvement?).   But when reviewing a show that has been fully recorded (completed recording), one is still flying blind as to what the channel number / call sign of the completed recording actually was.   

Hi, yea it makes sense. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hi, there is still not any indication, for a completed recording, of where the recording came from:  call sign, network name, or channel number!!

Thanks,

On 4/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, rbknox said:

Thank You.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, rbknox said:

BTW, another suggestion.  When you click on Add a Recording, you are given several options on how to select the recording - guide and search being two. If you choose Search, Emby searches your entire set of libraries (music, photos etc), all of which are irrelevant to selecting a TV show to record.   Eventually by scrolling to the very bottom of the search results you are presented with Programs - the things that you would actually choose to record.  Don't you think the search in the context of Add a Recording should be filtered to only Programs in the guiide?

When I select a program to record, by using search, I am still presented with search results that include among other things my personal photos, home videos, and prior recordings..   So, search is always universal.   When I specifically indicate that i want to search for a program to record, why can't the search be filtered to include only programs that are available through the program guide? Or at least media that is considered TV content.

On 11/26/2023 at 2:48 PM, Luke said:

Hi, what do you mean by programs available through the guide? What programs would not be in the guide?

I guess that is my point.   Let's back up a second.   I want to add a recording - maybe it is worth clarifying that I'm looking to record a TV show (as I don't think there are other sources that one could record).   I go to the Recordings tab and select "Add Recording".  I am presented with ways to add a recording:  Guide, Search, Channel & Time, Keyword. 

If I know the name/time of the show, I would use the Guide option.   If I don't know exactly the name, time etc, I endeavor to Search.   The functionality I am trying to highlight is that having got this far, when I enter a Search term, why am I presented with a collection of everything in my libraries that happen to match the search criteria, in addition to programs I might want to record?  Wouldn't it be far more intuitive if I was simply presented with the programs (from the guide) which are available to record?  That way I don't have to navigate all the various library specific search results.

In other words, if I want to search my libraries, I can do that from a higher level search request elsewhere in the app.  But when I want to add a recording I should only be searching the guide for recordings.

If one is looking for something to record, Search is a valuable way to do it.  The other options:  Keyword and Channel & Time impose requirements around creating a recording, which are not very intuitive.  Therefore if you can't go right to Guide to record, Search is the other key option.  

On 11/25/2023 at 10:12 AM, rbknox said:

Hi, there is still not any indication, for a completed recording, of where the recording came from:  call sign, network name, or channel number!!

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

If I know the name/time of the show, I would use the Guide option.   If I don't know exactly the name, time etc, I endeavor to Search.   The functionality I am trying to highlight is that having got this far, when I enter a Search term, why am I presented with a collection of everything in my libraries that happen to match the search criteria, in addition to programs I might want to record?  Wouldn't it be far more intuitive if I was simply presented with the programs (from the guide) which are available to record?  That way I don't have to navigate all the various library specific search results.

The add recording button is primarily for users who are using the keyword recording support as well as date/time without epg data. 

For everyone else it's going to be easier to just ignore that button and browse around as you normally would, and use the recording buttons directly on program screens or in the guide.

But yes it's a good point, if you click the search option from the add recording dialog, it just dumps you in the generalized app search. We should have it filter to only live tv data in that situation.