Emby Theater Home Screen - Live TV

rbknox

Any chance of allowing more flexible configuration of the Live TV panels - both within the My Media section and the Live TV section itself?   Here are a few observations as I am tweaking the Home Screen:

- it seems the Live TV subsection of My Media duplicates the functionality associated with the LIve TV section.  While there may be some who like the LIve TV subsection within My Media, for me I would like to remove it completely and dedicate the My Media section to my libraries.  My workaround is to move LIve TV to the far right, which for me is off the display.  But allowing an option to remove it completely would seem to make more sense.

- despite the two different ways to access Live TV, one still has to navigate at least one more sub level to get to any live TV.  I know Emby is promoting a more "program" oriented approach to selecting live content but having a button on the LIve TV section which goes directly to live TV would be useful.  Of course, some additional navigation once in live TV (entering a different channel for example) might make sense.   

- an alternative approach or option might be to expand the Live TV section to look more like the My Media, with options to go directly to the Guide and directly to live TV

- I really like the Active recordings section.  However, given the real estate the pop-up tiles take up, why not allow one to go directly to the active recording by clicking the tile?  I keep hitting ok on these tiles to no avail.   Furthermore, why not include recent recordings to the right (in order of recording date) of the active ones?  In other words, this section might be permanently displayed, and would be really useful if you could then click and go to the recent recordings.  

- As a completely alternative idea, maybe there should be an option tab (at the very top) for a TV management view.  I'm not saying I don't like a single home screen, but it is a thought.  Also, for me, the Favorites tab has been rendered somewhat useless, as I have assigned all the TV stations I want to see in the Guide as Favorites.  This goes back to challenges with setting up a useful Guide experience (in other posts).  In order to make navigation of the Guide practical, I had to filter my channels my making them Favorites.  I believe however this isn't really the way Favorites was meant to be used ...  and in any case my Favorites tab lists all my TV channels.

Thanks,

Hi, I guess I am using two definitions.  Initially I am referring to the tiles/labels in EBT:  there is a LIve TV tile as part of My Media..  There is also a Live TV section which is selectable in the options.  Again, they are essentially duplicates of the same functionality.   I would characterize these as general TV labels - as from these you can access various TV functions:  Live TV (now we are talking about actually tuning a channel like in the legacy way), Recordings, Programs, Schedule etc.   In other words, EBT is grouping the TV functions under the name "Live TV"; to get to an actual tuned channel (live tv), however, requires additional navigation.

Does this clarify?  The theme of my post is that the TV functionality is not very configurable   EBT has two ways to access the TV functions, but limited means to customize the interface.   I thought of an additional restriction just now:  Once you configure to include the Live TV section, you automatically are presented with the "On Now" section below - whether you in fact would like to see the "On Now" section or not.   So, in addition to the above, it might be nice to choose whether you want to see "on now" or not.   

Thoughts?

Edited by rbknox

On 1/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, rbknox said:

- I really like the Active recordings section.  However, given the real estate the pop-up tiles take up, why not allow one to go directly to the active recording by clicking the tile?  I keep hitting ok on these tiles to no avail.   Furthermore, why not include recent recordings to the right (in order of recording date) of the active ones?  In other words, this section might be permanently displayed, and would be really useful if you could then click and go to the recent recordings.  

- As a completely alternative idea, maybe there should be an option tab (at the very top) for a TV management view.  I'm not saying I don't like a single home screen, but it is a thought.  Also, for me, the Favorites tab has been rendered somewhat useless, as I have assigned all the TV stations I want to see in the Guide as Favorites.  This goes back to challenges with setting up a useful Guide experience (in other posts).  In order to make navigation of the Guide practical, I had to filter my channels my making them Favorites.  I believe however this isn't really the way Favorites was meant to be used ...  and in any case my Favorites tab lists all my TV channels.

Regarding my comments above:

- I have since noticed that if you choose Desktop display mode, you can start an active recording with a mouse click (but not by pressing enter on a remote).  This raises the question why basic functionality like this isn’t consistent between desktop and TV mode?  

- I have also realized in TV Server settings, there is a channels tab where you can deselect legacy and other unimportant channels.  I will try this out, hopefully freeing up Favorites for things that are really favorite.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 1:58 PM, rbknox said:

Regarding my comments above:

- I have since noticed that if you choose Desktop display mode, you can start an active recording with a mouse click (but not by pressing enter on a remote).  This raises the question why basic functionality like this isn’t consistent between desktop and TV mode?  

- I have also realized in TV Server settings, there is a channels tab where you can deselect legacy and other unimportant channels.  I will try this out, hopefully freeing up Favorites for things that are really favorite.

Features that are not relevant to TV display mode are not enabled, such as the mouse overlay menus, and vice versa with desktop mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Luke,

Just to be clear.  In desktop mode you can mouse click on an active recording tile to start playing that recording.  How would you accomplish that same convenient and practical task in TV mode?  I’m not aware there is a way.  Why not allow the OK button from a remote to start playing?

23 minutes ago, rbknox said:

Luke,

Just to be clear.  In desktop mode you can mouse click on an active recording tile to start playing that recording.  How would you accomplish that same convenient and practical task in TV mode?  I’m not aware there is a way.  Why not allow the OK button from a remote to start playing?

I probably need to see screenshot examples of exactly what you mean, but in desktop mode you have the poster overlay that appears with a play button. You don't get this in TV mode, so all you have to do is click the poster and you'll be taken to the detail screen for the video where there will be a play button. If your remote control has a play button, you can also click that when the poster is selected.

Okay, I can press play on the poster to play the recording. I had not tried using the play button.  Maybe this is just me but usually OK and Play would be interchangeable (or at least both active) on a remote.  But more to the point, there is no visual indication that there is any way to play the recording - maybe a play overlay as with desktop mode  would be helpful to make the ability more intuitive. And/or  maybe hitting OK should bring up an option/detail screen?

I don’t use a mouse often, but I was not able to click on the poster to get it to do anything: details, play option or otherwise.

Further on the active recording poster, I also just noticed that when recording shows by choosing from the guide (these were already in progress live), the first show I recorded shows up as an active recording poster.  However the 2nd show I recorded does not show up as an active recording poster, even though it is actually recording.  Also, while the 2nd one shows up in the Recordings folder, it doesn’t have a red recording ball on it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 11:40 PM, rbknox said:

Further on the active recording poster, I also just noticed that when recording shows by choosing from the guide (these were already in progress live), the first show I recorded shows up as an active recording poster.  However the 2nd show I recorded does not show up as an active recording poster, even though it is actually recording.  Also, while the 2nd one shows up in the Recordings folder, it doesn’t have a red recording ball on it.

Thanks!

@rbknox can we please go over an example?

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...
rbknox

Thanks!

@rbknox can we please go over an example?

I am not able to reproduce the problem I was having.  It may have been a delay in the recording showing as active.  In any case it seems to work fine now. 

Any thoughts to my other suggestions from above:

-  allow removal of Live TV tile/poster from My Media section
- option to include most recent recordings to the right of Active Recordings, as a sort of continuum of active to recently recorded 
- treat Active tile as a shortcut to the recording (like in desktop mode with a mouse).  Per above, while it is possible to hit play when an active poster is selected, you can't manage the active recording. For example, sometimes things are recording that are redundant or not wanted (e.g. sports, but not your team) where it would be convenient to hit OK and select stop recording / delete recording, instead of having to first go back to the Recordings section.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

- treat Active tile as a shortcut to the recording (like in desktop mode with a mouse).  Per above, while it is possible to hit play when an active poster is selected, you can't manage the active recording. For example, sometimes things are recording that are redundant or not wanted (e.g. sports, but not your team) where it would be convenient to hit OK and select stop recording / delete recording, instead of having to first go back to the Recordings section.

@rbknox have you tried the 3-dot menu? There should be a button in there to stop the recording.

rbknox
On 3/26/2023 at 6:45 PM, Luke said:

@rbknox have you tried the 3-dot menu? There should be a button in there to stop the recording.

I feel we're going around in circles a bit here.   Clarifying again that I am referencing Display mode set to TV not Desktop.  When in TV mode, I do not generally have access to a mouse, or I don't want to have to use a mouse to perform basic navigational tasks.   When in TV mode and using a remote, the only thing I am able to do with an Active Recording poster/tile is press Play (note:  and that only works if there is no other TV channel currently playing.  If something is already playing, hitting play does nothing).   There are no other options using a remote.  If I use a mouse and right click, I am presented with options including the 3-dot menu, but again, I'm assuming this would not be normal behavior in TV mode.  So, my suggestion would be that when using a remote in TV mode, having navigated to the Active Recording tile, clicking OK would bring up an option screen with functionality similar to desktop mode.  This capability would not be inconsistent with TV mode as it is available on other tiles.  For example, if I navigate to Now On or Continue Watching and hit OK, a function-specific set of options are presented to me.  This, imo, is the way the Active Recording tile should function.

rbknox

While on discussion of Live TV functionality, is there any reason why the call sign and channel number are completely absent from all the on- screen information once a TV show is either recorded or being recorded?   When I go to record a program, I am presented with information about the recording including call sign and channel number.  But after that, I am unable to verify either of those identifiers, not even in the detailed info section.   Why is this?   With different ways to record content (OTA, HD, ATSC 3.0, cable TV with redundant channel listings etc), it is nice to be able to see "which" recording actually happened.   I'm all for this detailed being abstracted away much of the time, but it is still valuable to be able to see what channel you recorded when you want to.   Not saying it couldn't be an option for those who want it, but it is confusing not be able to see it.

• 4 weeks later...
rbknox
On 3/30/2023 at 11:21 AM, rbknox said:

I feel we're going around in circles a bit here.   Clarifying again that I am referencing Display mode set to TV not Desktop.  When in TV mode, I do not generally have access to a mouse, or I don't want to have to use a mouse to perform basic navigational tasks.   When in TV mode and using a remote, the only thing I am able to do with an Active Recording poster/tile is press Play (note:  and that only works if there is no other TV channel currently playing.  If something is already playing, hitting play does nothing).   There are no other options using a remote.  If I use a mouse and right click, I am presented with options including the 3-dot menu, but again, I'm assuming this would not be normal behavior in TV mode.  So, my suggestion would be that when using a remote in TV mode, having navigated to the Active Recording tile, clicking OK would bring up an option screen with functionality similar to desktop mode.  This capability would not be inconsistent with TV mode as it is available on other tiles.  For example, if I navigate to Now On or Continue Watching and hit OK, a function-specific set of options are presented to me.  This, imo, is the way the Active Recording tile should function.

On 3/30/2023 at 11:31 AM, rbknox said:

While on discussion of Live TV functionality, is there any reason why the call sign and channel number are completely absent from all the on- screen information once a TV show is either recorded or being recorded?   When I go to record a program, I am presented with information about the recording including call sign and channel number.  But after that, I am unable to verify either of those identifiers, not even in the detailed info section.   Why is this?   With different ways to record content (OTA, HD, ATSC 3.0, cable TV with redundant channel listings etc), it is nice to be able to see "which" recording actually happened.   I'm all for this detailed being abstracted away much of the time, but it is still valuable to be able to see what channel you recorded when you want to.   Not saying it couldn't be an option for those who want it, but it is confusing not be able to see it.

Any follow-up on these?  

Thanks,

On 3/30/2023 at 2:21 PM, rbknox said:

In TV mode you can click into the recording and manage it on the next screen, or if you want to stay on the home screen, you can pull up the context menu with your remote if it has an info or menu button. On android you can also long press the OK button.

rbknox

I have both a Menu button and an Info button - neither does anything in Emby Theater.  I am using a Harmony Elite (hub) remote.  It is configured for Media Center standard / Microsoft devices.   Is there something else I should be configuring for this to work?

I haven't tested that specific combination, but control-d also can be used for menu, in case you might be able to map that to a key on the remote.

rbknox

Luke,

Two comments:

- specific to what I have said in this thread about the Active Recording poster on the Home Screen, you have not answered why the behavior for the active recording is different (and for me unusable).  Again, I can hit OK and open context for recordings, for On Now, Continue Watching etc?  Why not the same option for Active Recording?  
- maybe there is something you can point me to, but, what is the expected remote template for Emby Theater on Windows?  If I am having trouble with remote key functionality, having been operating htpc’s on Windows for many years, then what about others on the Windows platform?  Something not right here.  Case in point, to my knowledge ctrl D is not easily implemented or standard on windows remote templates.

Also, you can you address this question:

On 3/30/2023 at 11:31 AM, rbknox said:

Why not the same option for Active Recording?  

Can you show a screenshot example of what you mean? Because you can do these things with active recordings as well.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, rbknox said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we currently display this information in all places except for completed recordings, right?

rbknox
On 4/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, Luke said:

Can you show a screenshot example of what you mean? Because you can do these things with active recordings as well.

I have attached a screenshot of an active recording.  Not very revealing (except to note all the open space to the right of it, per my previous unrelated suggestions above about what to add to this as a queue to fill in the space), but again, using only a remote, I have no control over this tile/poster except to hit play which will start playback.  Pressing OK (which will open / provide context for virtually any other tile in the app) does nothing for Active Recording.  Further to your suggestions: Info and Menu also do nothing.

Screenshot (9).png

12 minutes ago, rbknox said:

I have attached a screenshot of an active recording.  Not very revealing (except to note all the open space to the right of it, per my previous unrelated suggestions above about what to add to this as a queue to fill in the space), but again, using only a remote, I have no control over this tile/poster except to hit play which will start playback.  Pressing OK (which will open / provide context for virtually any other tile in the app) does nothing for Active Recording.  Further to your suggestions: Info and Menu also do nothing.

Screenshot (9).png

OK now I see what you mean, the home screen section. Yes that can be resolved. Thanks.

rbknox
23 hours ago, Luke said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we currently display this information in all places except for completed recordings, right?

I would say you are wrong in that providing the station call sign / channel number anywhere in the context of a recording is the exception rather than the rule for Emby.    Here's a quick summary of what I see:

Add a recording by guide (a bit moot since you start with the channel and therefore know it), but as you confirm the recording call sign and channel are displayed
Add a recording by search: no call sign or channel provided.  Basically if you search to record, you are accepting whatever instance of the broadcast that Emby decides
Scheduled recordings:  call sign is displayed and channel number is provided on the context detail screen
Active recordings:  no call sign or channel number displayed, even in detail/info screens
Completed recordings:  no call sign or channel number displayed, even in detail/info screens

BTW, another suggestion.  When you click on Add a Recording, you are given several options on how to select the recording - guide and search being two. If you choose Search, Emby searches your entire set of libraries (music, photos etc), all of which are irrelevant to selecting a TV show to record.   Eventually by scrolling to the very bottom of the search results you are presented with Programs - the things that you would actually choose to record.  Don't you think the search in the context of Add a Recording should be filtered to only Programs in the guiide?

rbknox
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK now I see what you mean, the home screen section. Yes that can be resolved. Thanks.

Thank You.