Recovering from playback error and software transcoding

cooolboy

cooolboy

Hello @Luke and Happy New Year!

Have noticed that since Chrome started officially supporting HEVC playback that all my HEVC + HDR content falls back to software transcoding and not hardware for some reason and gives the (Recovering from playback error) as a reason.
Could it be related?

Attaching logs with debug mode enabled.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-17b33f1c-abc7-4fd7-bf03-e12d368f9c97_1.txt

Hi, unfortunately when the browser does this, it doesn't give us any specifics on what the exact problem was. It just raises an error and then we recover from that by switching to transcoding.

cooolboy

What I don't understand is why it's not reverting to hardware transcoding but rather software. The hardware (Intel Celeron(R) J4105 CPU) I'm using is perfectly capable for HEVC and HDR transcoding. Is this something that could be further investigated? Would you like more log files from similar media playback?

• 4 weeks later...
solidsnakex37
On 1/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, cooolboy said:

What I don't understand is why it's not reverting to hardware transcoding but rather software. The hardware (Intel Celeron(R) J4105 CPU) I'm using is perfectly capable for HEVC and HDR transcoding. Is this something that could be further investigated? Would you like more log files from similar media playback?

I've been having these "Recovering from playback error" messages frequently as well. Though, this happens in the following apps for me: 

Web App
Android TV - Nvidia Shield
Emby Theater (Windows)

I opened a discussion back in mid December, but ultimately didn't get anywhere. It seems that Emby doesn't log anything in terms of what the actual error is. 

6 hours ago, solidsnakex37 said:

I've been having these "Recovering from playback error" messages frequently as well. Though, this happens in the following apps for me: 

Web App
Android TV - Nvidia Shield
Emby Theater (Windows)

I opened a discussion back in mid December, but ultimately didn't get anywhere. It seems that Emby doesn't log anything in terms of what the actual error is. 

We do, and have a process to submit in-app logs so that we can obtain these, but not for the web app because the only thing the browser video player gives us is one generic media decoding error code and it's not possible to get more specifics beyond that.

You can submit an android tv app log by following the process at the bottom of here: