1.0.37 - Don't bother updating until you read this!

unisoft

unisoft

1.0.37 a shambles here after someone in family pressed UPDATE when emby launched and LG said there was an update:

• Only 2 themes - both dark themes. Media Center Blue removed with no warning this was going to be!!!!!!! Don't care if name changed but would like to retain blue theme.
  • Lack of spacing between Continue Watching and Latest episodes in a TV library in Horizontal view (TV mode). Looks continuous view of tiles instead of defined separation between sections
  • Broken Vantage Point TV Intros altogether - On the LG app it used to play the intro video if you used tags even if it was already broken in most of the other apps. It used to work on most of them that had intro support and as they got updated, broke.
  • In Vantage Point Cinema Intros, instead of nice seamless black screen between various bumpers and intro idents, you now get a flash screen of grey background between each
  • After a movie has played, you get a flash of the backdrop then black screen then back to the emby details of the movie. Looks terrible.

So waited nearly 9 months for this mess. Must have been rushed out the door. Had people over and they all commented on the boring dark theme and odd behaviour with Intros.

Edited by unisoft

unisoft
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you show an example of what you mean by spacing?

Hi Luke:

(Emulated screen shots using Theatre)

Emby LG App 1.0.37:

Emby Spacing issue between sections Horizontal View LG APP.png

Emby Theatre (and how LG App 1.0.35 looked and Android):

Emby Spacing issue between sections Horizontal View THEATRE.png

Edited by unisoft

27 minutes ago, unisoft said:

Hi Luke:

(Emulated screen shots using Theatre)

Emby LG App 1.0.37:

Emby Spacing issue between sections Horizontal View LG APP.png

Emby Theatre (and how LG App 1.0.35 looked and Android):

Emby Spacing issue between sections Horizontal View THEATRE.png

Ok the lack of space is not intentional. Should be an easy fix. Thanks.

CrappyUserName

I have the issue with only 2 themes as well. Dark and Black are the only 2 options now. I have premier and on PC in a browser I have all the options but on the TV I don't.

I was already using Black so I'm not that worried but I think something else has changed that I can't quite put my finger on, It just feels like there is more white all over the place now? It's a bit glary on an OLED. Were selected items green and now changed to white?

The option to change text colour would be good. I'd really like a black theme with light grey text so it's not so bright.

47 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

I have the issue with only 2 themes as well. Dark and Black are the only 2 options now. I have premier and on PC in a browser I have all the options but on the TV I don't.

I was already using Black so I'm not that worried but I think something else has changed that I can't quite put my finger on, It just feels like there is more white all over the place now? It's a bit glary on an OLED. Were selected items green and now changed to white?

The option to change text colour would be good. I'd really like a black theme with light grey text so it's not so bright.

It contains six months of new development from the previous release, so there are bound to be numerous small changes throughout the app.

50 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

I believe some of the themes aren’t able to be supported on older tv  models, hence the reduction in available themes and some of the color or format changes.  We have seen the same issue on Samsung TVs as well

unisoft
10 hours ago, SamES said:

I believe some of the themes aren’t able to be supported on older tv  models, hence the reduction in available themes and some of the color or format changes.  We have seen the same issue on Samsung TVs as well

There are no themes except Dark now! I seriously hope the Media Center Blue was just a mistake. I don't mine if its renamed, but to drop them without warning smacks of we know best and don't care about our customers; exactly the opposite of what I thought. My TV is 2016 OLED model and it coped perfectly fine with coloured themes and I am pretty sure at Christmas it used to animate snow falling down the screen, it didn't do that this year.

I am seriously considering switching to Jellyfin now, this is an alarm bell call for me. This was another underhand change without any communication. I could have blocked updates at router level if I had known. The trust level has plummeted with updates now. I used to always take them.

What next, show the videos in black and white to match the now poor grey/black UI?

In short the choice of Dark/Black themes only is absolute rubbish and p*** poor.

• Lack of spacing between Continue Watching and Latest episodes in a TV library in Horizontal view (TV mode). Looks continuous view of tiles instead of defined separation between sections
  • After a movie has played, you get a flash of the backdrop then black screen then back to the emby details of the movie. Looks terrible.

Resolved for the next Emby LG app update. Thanks.

CrappyUserName
On 12/27/2022 at 9:38 AM, SamES said:

They were there before the update and worked just fine so there is absolutely no reason for them to be taken away. Most of them are just colours not custom icons or anything.

Other issues -

The loading circle looks borked. It has a break in it so there are 2 different sections spinning around. It's gone from rainbow to blue. Who chooses these colours? If anything it should be green or follow the selected theme.

This has been a problem since 1.0.35 but I didn't worry about it too much. When the seeking was changed to make it a lot faster to seek (a good change) you can no longer seek to the end of the episode and have it go to the next episode automatically. It just keeps springing back so you have to let the last 20 seconds or so just play out. Or obviously you can hit the next track button.

I've mentioned it before but it's annoying when an update gets released and is always accompanied by "check the blog announcement for details". The only versions to get a blog announcement in the last 3 years are 1.0.20, 1.0.24 and 1.0.35

Most software gets a change log detailing what's been added and bug fixes. It would make it a lot easier to problem solve when something breaks if we could see what was changed.

• Agree 1

unisoft
53 minutes ago, CrappyUserName said:

They were there before the update and worked just fine so there is absolutely no reason for them to be taken away. Most of them are just colours not custom icons or anything.

Other issues -

The loading circle looks borked. It has a break in it so there are 2 different sections spinning around. It's gone from rainbow to blue. Who chooses these colours? If anything it should be green or follow the selected theme.

This has been a problem since 1.0.35 but I didn't worry about it too much. When the seeking was changed to make it a lot faster to seek (a good change) you can no longer seek to the end of the episode and have it go to the next episode automatically. It just keeps springing back so you have to let the last 20 seconds or so just play out. Or obviously you can hit the next track button.

I've mentioned it before but it's annoying when an update gets released and is always accompanied by "check the blog announcement for details". The only versions to get a blog announcement in the last 3 years are 1.0.20, 1.0.24 and 1.0.35

Most software gets a change log detailing what's been added and bug fixes. It would make it a lot easier to problem solve when something breaks if we could see what was changed.

Agree. No reason to remove coloured background that isn't even an image i.e. just the same as black colour, its just a colour. Just wanton destruction of a good product to offer a bland choice of Dark/Grey theme only.

Been looking at Jellyfin, they've come on leaps and bounds, but won't be an overnight transition as will do when get new server and TV. Need to have a backup plan because this and changing the sort order for Genres by Album name rather than Artist then album name for Genres was yet another bad decision made along with that stupid "Folders" introduced as a top menu item when its actually a 'View By' type option and looks out of place. Many good things, but being let down by other poor decisions creeping in. Long time user too since Media Browser days. Still got that on WMC on Windows 8.1; you can fix the version on that. That is in a VLAN and only uses the internet for Guide updates. That had brilliant custom entry points to make it seem less then someone decided to remove that in the newer versions and caused a storm at the time. I kept with the older 2.6.2 version as a result. For now, won't be updating  Android clients or Server until I fully know what's been done. Have to now assume zero trust on Emby updates instead of keeping current.

Edited by unisoft

The lighter themes will be tough but I think it should be realistic to get the darker ones restored (blue radiance, wmc) on older devices. Thanks.

• Like 1

CrappyUserName
4 hours ago, Luke said:

The lighter themes will be tough but I think it should be realistic to get the darker ones restored (blue radiance, wmc) on older devices. Thanks.

I thought it may have been an accident.... the fact it was on purpose is more worrying.

Personally the themes isn't a huge issue for me because I use black but I really don't like the precedent this sets. The themes worked fine before hand so I can only conclude they were removed to make it easier for you guys. Which is fine I guess but you should really notify users of a change like this when making the update announcement, especially when themes are a selling point to get premier, I don't know about other countries but it would be shaky ground with Australian consumer laws.

• Agree 1

zxaura1

Unfortunatelly the update didn't fix the vertical - horizondial issue in home screen. I mean whatever I choose in settings, the app always starts in vertical home screen.

Although I factory reset the tv several times, the app does not remember the horizontial setting. Every time I have to change this in settings until I switch off the TV.

I am greatly disappointed waiting so many months for a fix

SamES
3 hours ago, zxaura1 said:

Unfortunatelly the update didn't fix the vertical - horizondial issue in home screen. I mean whatever I choose in settings, the app always starts in vertical home screen.

Although I factory reset the tv several times, the app does not remember the horizontial setting. Every time I have to change this in settings until I switch off the TV.

I am greatly disappointed waiting so many months for a fix

Can you please try uninstalling the app completely from the TV, turn off the TV for a few minutes, then try reinstalling?

I've seen instances in the past where the app storage on the TV gets corrupted and settings don't save.  Removing the app generally fixes this.

zxaura1
3 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you please try uninstalling the app completely from the TV, turn off the TV for a few minutes, then try reinstalling?

I've seen instances in the past where the app storage on the TV gets corrupted and settings don't save.  Removing the app generally fixes this.

Unfortunately did not solve the problem. I 've already done it several times in the past, waiting days between installing - uninstalling, with no luck. Also as I said, I did several factory reset to tv, but the problem stays 

SamES
8 hours ago, zxaura1 said:

Unfortunately did not solve the problem. I 've already done it several times in the past, waiting days between installing - uninstalling, with no luck. Also as I said, I did several factory reset to tv, but the problem stays 

What model is your TV? No one else has reported this issue, so it is probably related to your setup

If you create a new user on the server and test with it, does it have the same issue?

I think it would be good to start your issue as a new topic as your issue is not really related to this original topic 

On 12/29/2022 at 12:26 AM, CrappyUserName said:

I thought it may have been an accident.... the fact it was on purpose is more worrying.

Personally the themes isn't a huge issue for me because I use black but I really don't like the precedent this sets. The themes worked fine before hand so I can only conclude they were removed to make it easier for you guys. Which is fine I guess but you should really notify users of a change like this when making the update announcement, especially when themes are a selling point to get premier, I don't know about other countries but it would be shaky ground with Australian consumer laws.

It was to make things easier, although we should be able to get the darker themes restored. We'll try to do a better job of announcing changes such as these. Thanks.

zxaura1
12 hours ago, SamES said:

What model is your TV? No one else has reported this issue, so it is probably related to your setup

If you create a new user on the server and test with it, does it have the same issue?

I think it would be good to start your issue as a new topic as your issue is not really related to this original topic 

My TV is OLED65E6V. It really helped adding a new user, but only if I use Emby Connect to it. It remembers now the horizondial setting.

Thanks for your advice!!!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
CrappyUserName
On 12/29/2022 at 7:39 AM, CrappyUserName said:

Other issues -

These 2 issues are still present in 1.0.39

The loading circle still looks borked.

The next episode problem is actually worse now as there is no next/previous track buttons when you bring up the on screen menu, I think they were removed in 1.0.37.

Can you tell me when watching a TV show how to skip to the next episode once the credits start rolling? Currently I either have to stop the current episode and browse to the next one or I just seek right to the end but then it bounces back 5-20 seconds and I have to just let that last bit play out before it starts playing the next one. If I keep trying to seek it just keeps bouncing back.

5 hours ago, CrappyUserName said:

Can you tell me when watching a TV show how to skip to the next episode once the credits start rolling? Currently I either have to stop the current episode and browse to the next one or I just seek right to the end but then it bounces back 5-20 seconds and I have to just let that last bit play out before it starts playing the next one. If I keep trying to seek it just keeps bouncing back.

Do you have the feature enabled to show next video info? That will give you the option near the end of the credits to skip to the next one.

CrappyUserName
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Do you have the feature enabled to show next video info? That will give you the option near the end of the credits to skip to the next one.

It wasn't on. I have a feeling I turned that off a really long time ago because it was coming up way too early. I'll give it another go. Is there a setting anywhere to alter when it appears or is it a fixed time? I can't see anything in playback or library settings to adjust it.

Were the next/previous buttons supposed to be taken away from the on screen menu? Seems like a weird thing to remove really.