24-bit audio?

crusher11

18 hours ago, crusher11 said:

@SamES is it better to be tagging you in this? Luke seems to be doing absolutely nothing.

Sorry, even I'm confused reading this thread.  The first log file I opened was this one 'ffmpeg-transcode-44dbf3f4-37ac-462e-81cc-60a8bec02559_1.txt' which is not 'The Apartment'

Let's go back to basics.

If you remove all the bitrate limits and other settings, does the video and audio work correctly?  Is it DirectPlay or transcode?  Please attach any logs from this test.

Then we'll go to step 2 after that.

crusher11
9 hours ago, SamES said:

Sorry, even I'm confused reading this thread.  The first log file I opened was this one 'ffmpeg-transcode-44dbf3f4-37ac-462e-81cc-60a8bec02559_1.txt' which is not 'The Apartment'

Ah, I see what happened. Cinema Intros was enabled for at least part of the testing period, obviously the trailer generates its own ffmpeg-transcode log. Ignore the ones for the Twice Told Tales trailer, then.

9 hours ago, SamES said:

If you remove all the bitrate limits and other settings, does the video and audio work correctly?  Is it DirectPlay or transcode?

It's a remote user, so this is not possible.

OK, so with the bitrate limit, does the video and audio work correctly?  Please attach any logs from this test.

crusher11
1 hour ago, SamES said:

OK, so with the bitrate limit, does the video and audio work correctly?  Please attach any logs from this test.

Those would be the logs I attached in the earlier post. As I said you can ignore the ones relating to the Twice Told Tales trailer, that's fine and only there because of Cinema Intros.

Video and audio were fine for the trailer. Video was fine for the movie, but there was no audio.

Can you please pick the appropriate log, or repeat the test?  I looked at them yesterday and it was not clear which was the correct attempt 

crusher11
5 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you please pick the appropriate log, or repeat the test?  I looked at them yesterday and it was not clear which was the correct attempt 

All of them are. The only reason there are non-Apartment things in the logs is because of Cinema Intros playing a trailer. I rotated logs before and after the testing.

So after transcoding you get no audio?  Correct?

Can you test the file (locally) without transcoding to confirm that the original audio works?  

crusher11
3 hours ago, SamES said:

So after transcoding you get no audio?  Correct?

Correct.

Edited by crusher11

crusher11
3 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you test the file (locally) without transcoding to confirm that the original audio works?  

I don't have a Samsung that's local to the network.

How about putting the file on a USB?

Do you have any TV that is local to the server?  What client does it use?  If you test on there, does it DirectPlay, or transcode?  Can you try that and attach any logs?

We need to test a) that the audio track is definitely fine b) does the transcode work on other platforms or is this just a Samsun problem

crusher11
18 hours ago, SamES said:

Do you have any TV that is local to the server?  What client does it use?  If you test on there, does it DirectPlay, or transcode?  Can you try that and attach any logs?

We need to test a) that the audio track is definitely fine b) does the transcode work on other platforms or is this just a Samsun problem

Works fine on ATV, both direct play and forced to transcode.

embyserver-63811062634.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e2f3a498-b815-4c5d-8922-370975ede487_1.txt

3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

The transcoding log is from android tv, and the server log contains no references to tizen or samsung. Please attach the log files from when the problem was experienced. Thanks.

crusher11
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

The transcoding log is from android tv, and the server log contains no references to tizen or samsung. Please attach the log files from when the problem was experienced. Thanks.

Your inability to comprehend anything going on in this thread is staggering.

So the only rational conclusion I can come to is that despite the conversion from pcm_s24le to aac (which is supported by Samsung) for some reason the audio is still unplayable.  This same conversion works on Android, so we can assume that the conversion is working, but it still results in no audio

Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (pcm_s24le (native) -> aac (native))

The issue is that I don't think we can prevent this specific conversion, but still allow other conversions to aac.

You can send me a PM with a link to download the Apartment (or another sample) but there may not be much that can be done.

Is it just this one file that's having an issue?

crusher11
2 hours ago, SamES said:

Is it just this one file that's having an issue?

As far as I can tell. I tested a native AAC-encoded file, which was a low enough bitrate to go through direct, and that played back fine. Other things play fine. The Dolby Digital track (which isn't the film's audio, it's a commentary track) plays fine.

My initial thought was the 24-bit audio being an issue so I created a 16-bit track myself, but that doesn't work on the Samsung either (again, this is transcoding). However, another file that's natively 16-bit PCM did work.

5 hours ago, crusher11 said:

As far as I can tell. I tested a native AAC-encoded file, which was a low enough bitrate to go through direct, and that played back fine. Other things play fine. The Dolby Digital track (which isn't the film's audio, it's a commentary track) plays fine.

My initial thought was the 24-bit audio being an issue so I created a 16-bit track myself, but that doesn't work on the Samsung either (again, this is transcoding). However, another file that's natively 16-bit PCM did work.

Yeah, I think this is going to be a difficult one.  There is obviously a codec parameter that is slightly different in the way the audio track has been encoded.  If it's only one or 2 files then your best option might be to use the convert option on the server to create a new audio track - set the video to original quality - and then you probably won't notice the difference and hopefully audio works fine after that