HDR10 passthrough

Mopar_Mudder

generiq

You really didn't understand. It isn't being 'processed'. The colorspace is being respected. Your projector is just showing the generic flag that Windows is attaching. sRGB will remain sRGB etc. Color management is being done at the window and not at the display/projector. The old way of doing this was to take control of the display and physically switch between colorspaces. Windows has a better way of doing this, now. DVDfab might be using Vulkan to do it the old way or possibly you have a GPU driver that's old enough to be exploited for this purpose. Either way, just turn HDR on and leave it on. 

I wish everyone would understand that HDR and color are separate entities. One is light and the other is color.

Mopar_Mudder

I haven't had time to mess with it anymore.

My video card it a RTX3050 with the latest drivers

I can leave it turned on in Windows. Just wish their was a better way.

• Thanks 1

jokunen
On 1/2/2023 at 6:16 AM, Mopar_Mudder said:

I haven't had time to mess with it anymore.

My video card it a RTX3050 with the latest drivers

I can leave it turned on in Windows. Just wish their was a better way.

I haven't been able to get pure HDR passthrough in Theater. Videos are too light and brightness fluctuates unless you turn off hdr-compute-peak. For me this is sign that some form video processing is happening in background. Also you need to activate windows HDR on/off (windows+alt+b shortcut works).

My solution has been to use Kodi Matrix + EmbyCon for 4k HDR content and Emby Theater for all SDR content. MPC and madvr combination also works, but you need to edit external player settings in order to activate correct player and you lose resume ability for HDR.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:53 AM, jokunen said:

I haven't been able to get pure HDR passthrough in Theater. Videos are too light and brightness fluctuates unless you turn off hdr-compute-peak. For me this is sign that some form video processing is happening in background. Also you need to activate windows HDR on/off (windows+alt+b shortcut works).

My solution has been to use Kodi Matrix + EmbyCon for 4k HDR content and Emby Theater for all SDR content. MPC and madvr combination also works, but you need to edit external player settings in order to activate correct player and you lose resume ability for HDR.

Did you enable HDR in windows?

Mopar_Mudder

Did some testing tonight. Turning on HDR in windows definitely make the picture get washed out. Blacks look more dark grey.

jokunen
On 1/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, Luke said:

Did you enable HDR in windows?

I have and HDR filmmaker mode gets correctly activated in TV. I have also tried suggestions found from mpv GitHub thread (vo=gpu_next HDR passthrough settings · Issue #10158 · mpv-player/mpv · GitHub) without success in ET or standalone mpv. In the latter info screen suggest that gpu is used to color decoding, peak detection, colourspace conversion, tone mapping and color encoding. 

• 2 weeks later...
generiq
On 1/6/2023 at 5:51 PM, Mopar_Mudder said:

Did some testing tonight. Turning on HDR in windows definitely make the picture get washed out. Blacks look more dark grey.

That means the metadata is being lost. You're probably doing something that you shouldn't be. Are you making changes in the Nvidia consol? Are you altering anything from default in Windows? etc....

Mopar_Mudder

Just turning it on. There is a slider bar in windows to adjust brightness but I didn't mess with it, maybe I need to?

generiq
11 hours ago, Mopar_Mudder said:

Just turning it on. There is a slider bar in windows to adjust brightness but I didn't mess with it, maybe I need to?

No, leave that alone. It adjusts how bright SDR stuff should be.

Describe the hardware chain. Computer, cables, receiver etc

Edited by generiq

Mopar_Mudder

RTX-3050 card to Onkyo RZ-50 to JVC RS2100 all connected with RUIPRO 8K Ultra Certified HDMI Fiber Optic Cable.

Movies are ripped with DVD Fab

generiq
12 hours ago, Mopar_Mudder said:

RTX-3050 card to Onkyo RZ-50 to JVC RS2100 all connected with RUIPRO 8K Ultra Certified HDMI Fiber Optic Cable.

Movies are ripped with DVD Fab

So, when you play any HDR video, do you always get the same result? If you have an HDR movie that wasn't ripped with DVDfab, and is in an mkv container, same result?

• 2 weeks later...
generiq

@Luke here's an idea for you. For 'old skool' people who still want to have the display switch in and out of HDR, you could provide an 'advanced' option to use --gpu-api=vulkan

This does not seem to affect other graphics APIs, such as Vulkan, though. MS seems to have much less say on what the driver vendors can or cannot do on that side. So if you do the same, but with --gpu-api=vulkan - at least on nvidia you will get the display configuration switching to HDR with HDR content.

Edited by generiq
  • Thanks 1