FireTV Cube 3 now supports TrueHD + DTS!

Antinoitikos

rbjtech
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Its because they really are only supporting those audio codecs to support passing them through on the HDMI in, right?  So, the internal support for them is just kind of a happy accident.  They don't need to support the video codecs for that pass through because the outboard hardware is already decoding it.

Maybe - but DV7 does work if its from a DV7/HDR10+ source - which makes no sense.  As it should have just used HDR10 (or 10+ if the TV supported it) if they did not support DV7.   

@VirulentPip - Maybe send a log when trying to playback DV7 to see what it's 'reporting ?'

Edited by rbjtech

What version of Emby for FireTV are you using?  I just got the new Fire Cube and can get it to pass through TrueHD to my AVR but not DTS-HD (just DTS core).

Also, if I set the Fire Cube audio output to "Best Available" I get surround sound from Emby but only stereo from Netflix, Disney+, etc?

On 12/17/2022 at 9:06 PM, Antinoitikos said:

It passes through DTS-HD MA, I just disabled mine in the Emby app options since Sonos doesn’t fully support it at this time and creates a weird clicking noise when the Sonos Arc tries to downscale it.

Are you using the released Fire tv app or some other version? I only get DTS and not DTS-HD.

22 hours ago, Luke said:

@cncb 

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

Same results: TrueHD passes through, not DTS-HD (just core DTS).  Although I did not see any passthrough settings in the standard app?

On 12/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, cncb said:

Same results: TrueHD passes through, not DTS-HD (just core DTS).  Although I did not see any passthrough settings in the standard app?

There aren't any because it's automatic based on what the device supports.

• 2 weeks later...

in a nutshell for the FireTV cube V3 andf Emby media player  - Dolby-HD is working, DTS (not DTS-HD) is working, Dolby vision is working in general but depends on the encoding of the mkv/mp4. Is this a true statement ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
rbjtech
59 minutes ago, cncb said:

I tried the latest version today and still no DTS-HD.  I think the OP may be mistaken about DTS-HD support.

It clearly states it on their specification page - why would they not tell the truth.

I'm not 100% on what 'basic profile' means - but as it's passthough - the ability to 'support' it comes from the end device, not the Cube anyway.

Device Specifications: Fire TV Cube | Amazon Fire TV

So if you are trying to passthough DTS-HD to a TV for example - then it's highly unlikely to support it (nor DTS for that matter) - if it's an AVR - then it's much more probable.

Same situation with Dolby TrueHD.

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, cncb said:

I stand corrected.  I tried Kodi and it does indeed passthrough DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD to my AVR so it seems to be an Emby issue.

Which emby client ?  I presume FireTV lol.. AndroidTV and Android passthough ok but you may need to specify it in the emby client. 

I've never tried passthough on the FireTV's (but being Android based, they should be ok)... ?

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
Just now, cncb said:

The sideload build that @Luke suggested.

ok - I can't test myself as I don't have the latest Cube, only the 2019 (gen2) model.

• 2 weeks later...
raven-au
On 1/29/2023 at 1:58 AM, cncb said:

I tried the latest version today and still no DTS-HD.  I think the OP may be mistaken about DTS-HD support.

I'm confused, the device specs do not say the Cube passes through DTS-HD Master Audio which is pretty much what all the DTS-HD based movies and TV shows use.

It passes through DTS-HD (Main profile) "only" and that (I'm pretty sure) doesn't include the Master Audio extension or the object-based X extension.

And Kodi passing this through is not relevant to Emby either.

Most Android apps use Android features, I'm pretty sure Emby does, they're unlikely to buy into unsupported Android infrastructure.

For example, Kodi will passthrough up to and including DTS:X only if you use the Kodi IEC packer device, if you use the RAW IEC Android packer device you will get only the DTS core passing through which is what everyone is seeing in Emby. Now Kodi also has some serious audio sync. problems if you use the Kodi IEC packer on some TV shows, I still haven't worked out exactly what the conditions are yet.

rbjtech
37 minutes ago, raven-au said:

I'm confused, the device specs do not say the Cube passes through DTS-HD Master Audio which is pretty much what all the DTS-HD based movies and TV shows use.

It passes through DTS-HD (Main profile) "only" and that (I'm pretty sure) doesn't include the Master Audio extension or the object-based X extension.

And Kodi passing this through is not relevant to Emby either.

Most Android apps use Android features, I'm pretty sure Emby does, they're unlikely to buy into unsupported Android infrastructure.

For example, Kodi will passthrough up to and including DTS:X only if you use the Kodi IEC packer device, if you use the RAW IEC Android packer device you will get only the DTS core passing through which is what everyone is seeing in Emby. Now Kodi also has some serious audio sync. problems if you use the Kodi IEC packer on some TV shows, I still haven't worked out exactly what the conditions are yet.

I'm unsure why you believe this is not possible.

The Shield (running Android/Exo) can passthrough DTS-HD (MA/X etc) without issues - so if the Cube has the raw capability, then it will do exactly the same.

A quick google has not indicated anything suggesting it does not ?

If it only passes through DTS-HD (lossy - aka DTS-HD HRA (High Resolution Audio) - then that is indeed something that needs investigating further.

From Amazon :-

Audio codecs
(input formats)
  • Dolby MAT trancoding for Streaming application and HDMI Input
  • Dolby MAT Input to Dolby MAT Output for HDMI Input
  • Dolby TrueHD passthrough
  • DTS passthrough
  • DTS-HD passthrough (basic profile)
  • AC3 (Dolby Digital)/ EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) /Atmos(DDP+JOC)/AC4(Atmos)/Dolby TrueHD(Atmos)
  • MPEG-H passthrough
  • AAC Profile (AAC LC). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz
  • MPEG-4 HE AAC Profile (AAC+). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz
  • MPEG-4 HE AACv2 Profile (enhanced AAC+). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz
  • AAC ELD (enhanced low delay AAC). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz
  • xHE-AAC (enhanced HE-AAC). Support for up to 8 channels from 8 kHz to 48 kHz
  • FLAC. Up to 48kHz, 2 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit (no dither for 24 bit)
  • MIDI. MIDI (Type 0 and 1), DLS (Version 1 and 2), XMF, and Mobile XMF. Ringtone formats RTTTL/RTX, OTA, and iMelody.
  • MP3. Up to 48kHz, 2 channels in DSP (16-bit and 24-bit) and software (16-bit).
  • Vorbis. Ogg (.ogg), Matroska (.mkv).
  • PCM/Wave. Up to 96kHz, 6 channels, 16-bit and 24-bit.
  • AMR-NB. Supported.
  • Opus. Up to 8 channels, 48 kHz.

Edited by rbjtech

raven-au
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I'm unsure why you believe this is not possible.

The Shield (running Android/Exo) can passthrough DTS-HD (MA/X etc) without issues - so if the Cube has the raw capability, then it will do exactly the same.

A quick google has not indicated anything suggesting it does not ?

If it only passes through DTS-HD (lossy - aka DTS-HD HRA (High Resolution Audio) - then that is indeed something that needs investigating further.

From Amazon :-

This post in the Plex forum implies to me that the basic profile doesn't include what we need:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/dts-hd-passthrough-not-working-on-new-fire-tv-cube-3rd/825191/39

What is implemented is under the control of the vendor and, based on the above, the spec says the things we need are not available in the Cube implementation.

Can you see where I'm mistaken?

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, raven-au said:

This post in the Plex forum implies to me that the basic profile doesn't include what we need:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/dts-hd-passthrough-not-working-on-new-fire-tv-cube-3rd/825191/39

What is implemented is under the control of the vendor and, based on the above, the spec says the things we need are not available in the Cube implementation.

Can you see where I'm mistaken?

So from reading the post - I see very mixed messages.  Some users are saying DTS-HD MA/X is playable via Kodi - in which case, the raw hardware of the Gen 3 Cube is capable of passing the 'data'.   The fact that Plex cannot do it - is Plex's issue.  

I agree 100% with your logic that the DTS-HD 'spec' is not MA/X capable (lossless) - but then why do others say they are seeing the MA/X indicators appear on their AVR's with Kodi ?

Going to do some more digging on AV Enthusiast sites - as they should know the difference between HRA and MA/X .. I hope.

I may just get one and test myself - haha.

raven-au
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So from reading the post - I see very mixed messages.  Some users are saying DTS-HD MA/X is playable via Kodi - in which case, the raw hardware of the Gen 3 Cube is capable of passing the 'data'.   The fact that Plex cannot do it - is Plex's issue.  

Yes, it is playable by Kodi but for me there are problems with audio other than the lossless formats that seem to work just fine.

If I select the Android passthrough device the problems mostly go away but I can only get DTS core passed through (as well as the LPCM, TrueHD, DD+ and Atmos of those if they have it).

What I'm saying is it's up to the device vendor to implement anything other than what is provided by the Android TV implementation itself.

TBH I really don't know how much the vendors do or what it is they need to do so I could be mistaken, ;)

So, yes, Emby could do it I suppose but it doesn't make sense for the Emby devs to modify the Android TV code, that just won't work, it has to be the Amzon's and Nvidia's that do that.

Anyway, as I pointed out earlier, Kodi has a custom driver which needs to be used for the lossless DTS-HD passthrough to work and if you select the Android driver instead you don't get that lossless passthrough, only the core DTS, and again I don't think the Emby devs would want to buy into that can of worms.

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, raven-au said:

So, yes, Emby could do it I suppose but it doesn't make sense for the Emby devs to modify the Android TV code, that just won't work, it has to be the Amzon's and Nvidia's that do that.

I believe they already are and that's why it works (DTS-MA/X) on the Shield for example - the standard Exo does not have this capability.

The key issue is does the Cube 3 have the hardware capability to passthough DTS-HD MA/X - the answer appears to be yes (because Kodi can do it).

Some of this may actually be licensing - and it's simply restricted rather than not implemented ?

I may just get one to test, and send it back afterwards - I can do a like for like test with the Shield on all video and audio codecs with Emby.

edit - bought one - they are on sale in the UK - I'll test tomorrow. :)

Edited by rbjtech

raven-au
25 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I may just get one and test myself - haha.

I'd wait for a sale, there was a sale over here at xmas with these devices at $159 down from $219.

I'm still unhappy with Nvidia for the Shield Tube, I feel betrayed and spending $350 dollars on the pro is just too costly.

I should be able to buy toys like this cheaper.

So, for me, it comes down to whether I willing to put up with the limitations of the Cube ...

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, raven-au said:

I'd wait for a sale, there was a sale over here at xmas with these devices at $159 down from $219.

I'm still unhappy with Nvidia for the Shield Tube, I feel betrayed and spending $350 dollars on the pro is just too costly.

I should be able to buy toys like this cheaper.

So, for me, it comes down to whether I willing to put up with the limitations of the Cube ...

Just bought one - they are £119 on sale here in the UK.

I've got the 2019 Shield Pro - so I'll do a like for like in the next couple of days.

raven-au
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Some of this may actually be licensing - and it's simply restricted rather than not implemented ?

I may just get one to test, and send it back afterwards - I can do a like for like test with the Shield on all video and audio codecs with Emby.

It may be licensing or some misguided company policy about not supporting piracy.

They don't stop and think that the bulk of the people that want to do this are the ones that buy lots of gear and videos.

I have several shields and they do play anything I throw at them.

There are some things I'm not sure of like I don't have any AV1 shows.

raven-au
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Just bought one - they are £119 on sale here in the UK.

I've got the 2019 Shield Pro - so I'll do a like for like in the next couple of days.

Cool, have fun.

You point about if the hardware is capable of it why wouldn't they do it is well made.

But large companies do have some odd ideas and policies sometimes, who knows perhaps they will complete the work in time ...

• Agree 1