Virtual TV plugin Help

ryzen5000
Go to solution Solved by ryzen5000,

ryzen5000

Hi I am trying to set up virtual TV plugin 4.7. Firstly is there a newer version of this plugin? It looks like this was last created 2019 and might be outdated considering EMby has evolved. I added 3 channels but only one is showing up in the TV guide and I tried reinstalling the plugin several times. I set each chanel up the same way. Can anyone tell me how to make the other channels show up?

Junglejim
26 minutes ago, ryzen5000 said:

Hi I am trying to set up virtual TV plugin 4.7. Firstly is there a newer version of this plugin? It looks like this was last created 2019 and might be outdated considering EMby has evolved. I added 3 channels but only one is showing up in the TV guide and I tried reinstalling the plugin several times. I set each chanel up the same way. Can anyone tell me how to make the other channels show up?

I'd suggest posting any problems you have with Virtual TV in the plugins section, here..

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/80828-virtualtv-plugin/

PaulE123
7 hours ago, ryzen5000 said:

Emby settings, live TV, advanced....change the days to get guide info for from auto to something like x3 days, and save the settings. Restart your emby server, refresh the TV guide by running the task to do that, and that should be it. I only figured this out  yesterday as I was having the same problem. 

Junglejim
23 minutes ago, PaulE123 said:

Emby settings, live TV, advanced....change the days to get guide info for from auto to something like x3 days, and save the settings. Restart your emby server, refresh the TV guide by running the task to do that, and that should be it. I only figured this out  yesterday as I was having the same problem. 

Why didn't you reply to his duplicate post in the plugins section?

You were posting there, and found the solution (by your self). :)

This could be his/her problem but still more info is needed. Don't assume it's the same problem as yours. ;)

Edited by Junglejim

ryzen5000

I did solve the problem of all the channels not showing up. I reinstalled the plugin several more times, then I realized on the channels that weren't showing up I had not selected a user. Then after that and I saved I had to refresh the guide a few times before the channels showed up. I think I got it set up good now though and its working well on computer however on Roku app when I attempt to play or "tune" into any channel it immediately boots me out of the Roku app to my main tv screen. I tried several times it does not appear to be working for ROku. I wonder if there is any other setting I can change to make it "tune" in to the channels I select? BTW here is my completed guide, very cool.

Guide.jpg

PaulE123
10 hours ago, Junglejim said:

Why didn't you reply to his duplicate post in the plugins section?

You were posting there, and found the solution (by your self). :)

This could be his/her problem but still more info is needed. Don't assume it's the same problem as yours. ;)

I only seen this post here, I didn't see the post in the Plugin subforum because I hadn't visited it. I merely offered the solution to what was my problem, hoping it could be of some help...

ryzen5000

Anyone have success with the virtual TV plugin on ROKU? I keep getting kicked to my main TV menu if I select "tune in" to any channel. It seems to work perfectly on PC though. But I really wanted it for the actual TV my whole family watch EMBY and we have a hard time deciding what to watch because there is so much on my server.

pünktchen

Some people reported success with "Playlist Playback" mode, but it depends on the Roku device, Roku firmware and version of the Emby app for Roku. The only thing that really works is "Continous Playback" mode, if your server can handle the transcoding that probably takes place.

ryzen5000

Yes. Continious playback (live) selection works. Roku is now playing. Thanks! Transcoding? I selected Select the common video codec of the intermediate transcoding file h265.

I will see if its transcoding or not, its not a problem if it is because I have dual GPU for EMBY. 

Edited by ryzen5000

ryzen5000

Ok this is weird, why is it transcoding when my devices all support H265? I selected playback in h265 but its not working out that way. It can handle the transcoding but I am not happy about it when I went out of my way to purchase H265 compatible devices.

Edited by ryzen5000

ryzen5000

I got it, If I select playlist archive it direct plays HEVC perfectly.

If I select continious play (live) it transcodes.

If I select playlist playback it boots me out of emby. 

If I select continious playback archived it transcodes.

I tested it out on channel 1. Just one channel to compare it to the other channels at a different setting.

Edited by ryzen5000

pünktchen

If you are trying to tell me that your source video files already have the HEVC video codec, then i guess they also have subtitles and that leads to transcoding.

• Solution
ryzen5000

I got it, If I select playlist archive it direct plays HEVC perfectly.

If I select continious play (live) it transcodes.

If I select playlist playback it boots me out of emby. 

If I select continious playback archived it transcodes.

I tested it out on channel 1. Just one channel to compare it to the other channels at a different setting.

ryzen5000

It's working perfectly now, even better than I expected. This plugin is one of my new favorite things about Emby. In fact it's going so well that I just ordered another 18X Exos disk and I have another family member that wants to get set up to watch it from her house. She heard about it and has Netflix right now, I feel sorry for her because Netflix plays all the old content from few years ago. My server has all the latest 2022 series and movies and I do go back to 2016 for most things but I mostly have the new shows. Anyways she has an old tv so I will need to get her an Amazon firestick because now I read fire TV has the Emby app and she will need that so her TV doesn't transcode. MY rig can handle lots of transcoding but I like to use it for things and VM's and I don't want any power sucking Tv's running on my GPU's. I'm getting my sister set up on her laptop first today and I have a reverse proxy so she can watch from any location.

Edited by ryzen5000
  • Like 1