Echo Show 15 FireTV mode

MagicDoubleM

MagicDoubleM

So this got enabled on mine, and surprisingly this seems to be the real deal, not just an UI overlay imitating a firetv, nope, you can install apps from amazons store. Emby isn't marked as compatible, but the other thing, we don't call by its name here, installed fine, connected to a test server and works without additional hiccups so far.

Next step was trying to get emby on it, but unfortunately you can't install anything through other apps like AFTVnews downloader or file managers. The setting to allow the installation of apks from other sources isn't there, no side-loading on the Echo Show 15 possible yet. So that's where this little experiment ends for now.

But once Emby gets marked compatible through the store, the Echo Show 15 will be a very nice little client.

Edited by MagicDoubleM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Trunks.san

Hello !

Any news of this support device on Amazon store ?

😅

Edited by Trunks.san

On 7/15/2023 at 6:59 PM, Trunks.san said:

Hello !

Any news of this support device on Amazon store ?

😅

Hi, not yet but we are trying to get back into the amazon store as soon as we can. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
crimster

Do youbkind if I ask why Emby was pulled from the Amazon App store to begin with?  It must have happened recently as I installed it from their app store a few times earlier this year.  Also is there a standalone install for a fire tv compatible Emby app I could use to attempt to sideload it on this Alexa Show 15 I just got?  I understand that they have disabled the Downloader app on the show 15 however, I am an established developer that has worked primarily with mobile apps for the past 10 years, and I did find an app in the app store for the show 15 that in my personal opinion seems to be a cloned version of Downloader.  Just judging from the images made available on install page from the app store, the UI looks like a carbon copy of Downloader. It is only available as a $0.99 purchase from their app store and I haven't made the purchase yet but for a dollar I'll give it a go.  The only visual differences noticed from the prementioned images are minimal color changes, the icons have been substituted for different one, the way the widgets are labeled and of course the the app name.  From my experience it looks like nothing more than a very lazy clone job accomplished using the most basic android editing tools that allow for nothing more than a decompile of the app, click to replace icons, likely a color pallete wheel or bar to quickly change color attributes, renaming the app, and recompile. All accomplished without having to ever look at any actual lines of code.  Like I said this is simply my initial analysis based on images of the app but I've been doing this long enough to know that when an actual developer spends the time to write out all their own code for an app that serves a similar purpose as an established app, that developer isn't going to make their new app look anything like the established app, simply for the matter of pride in their work if nothing else. It's too simple to give the app a different appearance for someone to write it too look identical qnd stand chance of being accused of copying someone else's work.  That being said I'm either correct about my assumption or if I'm not 100% correct there instead any way that they didn't at least start off by using the Downloader source code as a Studio template.  Sorry for the rant, I obviously am not the biggest fan of this kind of thing, especially when the original app, which has been made free by the developer, ends up removed or made incompatible by an app store and then an exact clone of that developers work ends up not only available and compatible in the same app store, but also comes with a price tag attached.  But as much as I am against it I'm also a victim of circumstance and will pay the dollar to see if it will allow me to easily install Emby on this show 15, first before having to take a deeper dive into it to figure it out. It would be super cool if there was a compatible standalone install of Emby for fire TV that you all think would work on the show 15 version. That saves me even more times of extracting and installing which isn't hard to do but I'd prefer to do it the way the developers intended it to be done.  Thanks.

They never gave us a reason. Back when it happened there was a lot of belief in the industry that Amazon would pull any app that appeared to have features that would compete with features in Amazon branded apps. So for example the download feature.

But we don’t know if that’s what it was or not because they respond to all communication attempts with generic prewritten answers.

Anyway there might be some good news here as some users on Amazon tablets are reporting that the Emby app is available to them again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going mostly off memory here so one or two of the words might be slightly different, but here's the process:

• Swipe down on Echo Show 15 Home Screen
  • Touch "Fire TV"
  • Touch "Find"
  • Type in "Emby" and touch "Search"
  • Touch "Download"

Application installs, but when opening it says "Invalid Application Platform.  Cannot Run."

11 hours ago, sngreco said:

Looks like it's 2.0.93a

Thanks.  I think the app's validation is not recognizing the device as a Fire TV.  I'll have to look into how to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
sngreco
On 10/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, ebr said:

If its possible for you to side-load to the Eco device, can you try the latest beta release of the app?

I've looked into it, and I can't find any way to do it. It looks like all prior methods have been blocked. Are you aware of a process that I can try?

sngreco
25 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, we'll have to wait for the next general release to try it.  Thanks.

Do you have an estimate on when that will be? I'll set myself a reminder to test it.

Is this updated supposed to be release on some weeks or more time could be needed?
If Emby will not work on Echo Show 15 in a short term, then I will return back it Amazon....

3 hours ago, nabla79 said:

Is this updated supposed to be release on some weeks or more time could be needed?
If Emby will not work on Echo Show 15 in a short term, then I will return back it Amazon....

HI, yes, hopefully soon.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 4:12 PM, ebr said:

If its possible for you to side-load to the Eco device, can you try the latest beta release of the app?

I have run a test on my Echo Show 15 by using the Live App Testing flow. I confirm that your last beta version works correctly. I will wait for the new official release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2