Rename a file to match the title and year from main library popup

Loondawg

Loondawg

Please add a button to allow renaming a file to match the title and year from "identify" menu off the main library popup.

So I named my file "\\PC\Music DVDs\The Torture Never Stops (2009).mp4." Of course it was just wrong enough that Emby could not find it. So I manually located the moviedb id and updated the title to "Frank Zappa: The Torture Never Stops" and the year to 2008. It would be incredibly nice if I could now just press a rename button and have it change the file name on disk to "Frank Zappa The Torture Never Stops (2008)" so the problem is permanently corrected. It makes sense to have it there since changing the title or year should probably be accompanied by a file rename.

That should mean the next time I have to remove and recreate the entire library because I had selected mixed content instead of movies Emby should find the metadata from the new file name and I will not have to spend hours manually searching for and updating the data for dozens of files again and again. I do try to remember to do it manually every time, but it is really cumbersome and adds an huge number of keystrokes and window swapping that a simple rename button would completely eliminate.

Loondawg

Hi Luke,

I don't blame this on Emby. The incorrect file naming was my mistake and I don't expect Emby to figure out my mistakes. I was saying when I figured out my mistake and entered the correct information in Emby, it would be nice to be able to push that out to to the file system too so the problem is fixed once and for all.

I suppose I could change how I do this and rename the file and then wait for Emby to update the library and find the data. But it would be nice since I'm already there updating it under identify to one or two-click that change into the file system so it's fixed correctly with minimal inputs and with little room for me to screw it up.

Loondawg

Just to give a real world example. I'm sitting here manually searching for 20 discs in The Midnight Hour collection because when I first entered it, they was called "Burt Sugarman's The Midnight Special Legendary Performances: 19xx." But now they've dropped the "Burt Sugarman's" part of the name and the files aren't being found.

That's not your fault. It's not my fault. It's part of the imperfect world we live in. Sometimes metadata is recorded differently between themoviedb and imdb. And sometimes metadata it gets changed after originally being stored. Because I lost those IDs when I rebuilt the library, something that was working before now needs to be manually fixed. And it would be nice if there was a way to do it with a lot less manual input.

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at: