Roku Smart Soundbar crashing entire server

ryderjj89

To clarify, you are getting a BSOD or just a hard reboot?

This still almost has to be a hardware driver of some sort.

ryderjj89
Just now, ebr said:

To clarify, you are getting a BSOD or just a hard reboot?

This still almost has to be a hardware driver of some sort.

Going by the event viewer saying crash dump initialization failed and error occurred during dump file creation, I am assuming it is a blue screen that's auto restarting since I don't have to restart the machine.

However, I want to make it 100% perfectly clear that this is happening from only ONE singular device, a Roku. No other devices or apps used by any users are affected. If there is a driver or hardware problem, this Roku is causing it, not my machine, and possibly not even the Emby v4.7.10 server.

6 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

and error occurred during dump file creation

That would point me towards a hard drive problem.

6 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

from only ONE singular device, a Roku

I understand it looks like that but it is impossible for the Roku to directly cause your server to crash.  Instead, it is just that the playback on the Roku is requiring access to something that playback on none of the other devices does.  Probably related to transcoding.

ryderjj89

The main OS drive is a Samsung 850 Evo SSD and Drive Health is good. The crash dump thing seems to be a bug with Windows as it happens on my desktop and this server, even though the server is Win10 and my desktop is Win11. That's another issue I have to look into separately.

I wouldn't say its impossible. Its the only device having a problem. I'm guessing the 5 logs I've sent haven't indicated what the problem is?

I've disabled hardware acceleration for transcoding, GPU drivers are up to date, Windows is up to date. Network adapter driver is up to date.

Question: Would disabling the onboard Intel HD Graphics potentially cause this problem? I don't remember if I disabled it before or after this issue started. I enabled the device again and enabled them on the Transcoding page, but I'll have to wait until my sister is home for her to test again.

Another question: I noticed the beta versions have updated to ffmpeg 5.1. Could that possibly help resolve this if its not because of the Intel adapter being disabled?

21 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

Would disabling the onboard Intel HD Graphics potentially cause this problem? I don't remember if I disabled it before or after this issue started.

I suppose since it could change any number of things.  Also, you said this is a headless machine, correct?  Have you tried attaching a monitor to see if that solves it?

ryderjj89
1 minute ago, ebr said:

I suppose since it could change any number of things.  Also, you said this is a headless machine, correct?  Have you tried attaching a monitor to see if that solves it?

Yeah it's just the machine by itself. No keyboard/mouse/monitors or any other cables hooked up to it. Very clean.

I don't have any extra monitors. It hasn't had a monitor hooked up to it since after I finished setting it up and made sure Remote Desktop worked. It's been like this for a while now. It's something that changed recently, within the past like week or so. The server doesn't drag, performance is great on it. Drives are all healthy, not even fragmented.

Just now, ryderjj89 said:

It's been like this for a while now. It's something that changed recently, within the past like week or so.

Right, but with software updates this could have an impact on that particular configuration.  I would try re-enabling the integrated graphics and, if that doesn't solve it, I would try hooking up a monitor as a test.  That will at least start pointing us in the right direction.  Graphics drivers are like 95%+ the cause of BSODs so I suspect one of those things is going to make a difference.

ryderjj89
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Right, but with software updates this could have an impact on that particular configuration.  I would try re-enabling the integrated graphics and, if that doesn't solve it, I would try hooking up a monitor as a test.  That will at least start pointing us in the right direction.  Graphics drivers are like 95%+ the cause of BSODs so I suspect one of those things is going to make a difference.

Yeah. I re-enabled it, even updated its driver to the latest, and will have to wait for her to test later this evening. I can't easily hook a monitor up to this without moving it off my desktop, physically moving it, etc. I don't have any spares.

To recap so far:

• Disabled Hardware Acceleration for Transcoding - Didn't fix
  • Windows 10 OS is up to date
  • GTX 1650 drivers are up to date
  • Intel HD graphics 530 is re-enabled and drivers are updated
  • Network adapter drivers are up to date
  • Drives are healthy
  • Emby is up to date on latest stable version - 4.7.10
  • Roku software is up to date, checked manually for updates

I'll report back what happens tonight. I hate the waiting game but she's the only one with the device having the issue.

Edited by ryderjj89

2 hours ago, ryderjj89 said:

Disabled Transcoding

Actually, you just disabled the hardware acceleration, right?

ryderjj89

Ok update. To add to the list, I also removed some plugins that I wasn't using related to live TV since I no longer used that feature. I had my sister try again and I watched Process Explorer while she did. I noticed that just when the crash happened, csrss.exe (Client/Server Runtime Subsystem) closed. This process is critical to Windows to run and so if it's closed by anything, you get a BSOD of "critical process died". So, something, when playback is started, is crashing CSRSS and causing the BSOD.

ryderjj89
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try a scenario where it direct plays without any transcoding?

Do you have a suggestion on how to force that?

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, ryderjj89 said:

Do you have a suggestion on how to force that?

What is the client playback quality setting?  I am guessing Auto, if so set to a value higher then item bitrate.

Or a really low bitrate item.

Or temporarily disable transcoding on the user in user setup.

As the previous logs showed transcoding do to bitrate.

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

ryderjj89

Disabled transcoding on her profile, saw ffdetect run for a second and close, then another crash.

Edit: Hooked my monitor up (it has a second HDMI on it so used an extra cable. Phew.) I saw the crash.

"System_Service_Exception" is the error. I've ran SFC and DISM to repair files. I'm gonna take a look at Driver Verifier and see if it shows anything.

Edited by ryderjj89

ryderjj89

Ok sorry for adding multiple posts here. Just was able to dig more now that I could see more of what was happening and I did have an extra keyboard/mouse to use.

I updated Emby from 4.7.10 stable to 4.8.0.19 beta and this issue has gone away. I had her test with transcoding on and off for her profile and there hasn't been another crash. That suggests that something in 4.7.10 is conflicting somewhere. I'll stay on beta for now until 4.8 releases stable or something OR if the beta releases are stable enough for production use, I'll just stay on the cutting edge. Hope this info from tonight helps!

Happy2Play
57 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

if the beta releases are stable enough for production use, I'll just stay on the cutting edge

Overall, they are but there are the occasional issues but are usually remedied pretty quick if it is something that completely breaks functionality.

ryderjj89

Wanted to give another update. Turns out I had the issue happen to me as well while playing through web on my desktop. Same similar crashes. Seeing that WdFilter is for Windows Defender, I've disabled it entirely and wasn't able to get the issue to happen again the few times I tried last night. I'm still on the beta as well. If the issue happens again, I'll dig some more but I suspect there's some conflict with the WdFilter driver and Emby. Unfortunately it's not so easy to update that driver or even remove it.

This has been a wild issue and I hope it's going to be resolved finally. Will update again if it happens. Perhaps it isn't the Roku itself but the Roku was able to trigger it more consistently, every time we tried.

• Thanks 1