Roku Smart Soundbar crashing entire server

ryderjj89

ryderjj89

I am not sure where else I can post this but this seemed to be the most logical place.

My sister-in-law has a Roku Smart Soundbar and recently, when she starts to play something, it will try to load and then the entire server will reboot. I don't mean just Emby, but the machine itself. I can't get any crash logs or anything in the event viewer due to it saying crash dump initialization failed and error during dump file creation. All the settings involving creating dump files when the PC blue screens are set properly. I had her try on her computer and she was able to start playing something just fine.

The only thing that's happened recently is Emby updated to 4.7.10. Her Roku is up to date, and she's rebooted and reset her connection. She can log in to the server just fine but can't play anything.

I am using a VPN and Emby is excluded from it by using Split Tunneling. Everyone else can play content fine and she can even on other devices. It just seems to be this Roku Smart Soundbar that's crashing the machine. It's a standalone server so there is no monitor/keyboard/mouse hooked up to it, so I access it with just remote desktop, which obviously won't show blue screens, if there is one.

If you absolutely need to have the blue screen error from it, I can try to figure something out, but it will be a while as I'd have to move things around quite a bit to hook a monitor up to it.

I hope y'all are not as lost as I am on this and can shed some kind of light on what the issue might be here. Thanks, and happy holidays, team.

ryderjj89
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, can she play from another app such as the web app?

Yes. I had her try on her laptop using my website and had no problems.

Hi.  I would check your drives/controllers for any sort of failure or warning.

Did she play the exact same thing with the test on the web app? 

ryderjj89
40 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I would check your drives/controllers for any sort of failure or warning.

Did she play the exact same thing with the test on the web app? 

Drives look good. No issue playing content from any other user on any other device. This issue is isolated to the Roku. She tested the same content on the web after it didn't work on the Roku and it played fine the first time. I've checked event viewer to see if there's any disk errors, etc and there's nothing.

justinrh

Does the Roku force transcoding?  What is in the Emby log file?  Can you replicate the same actions using a different app or device?

ryderjj89
Just now, justinrh said:

Does the Roku force transcoding?  What is in the Emby log file?  Can you replicate the same actions using a different app or device?

Can't even get the content to start to see if it's transcoding or direct playing. The log file also doesn't show any errors. It's like when she starts to play it, the server crashed. Gets to like 30% loading before it happens.

17 hours ago, ryderjj89 said:

It just seems to be this Roku Smart Soundbar that's crashing the machine. It's a standalone server so there is no monitor/keyboard/mouse hooked up to it, so I access it with just remote desktop, which obviously won't show blue screens, if there is one.

This is probably the reason. There is no monitor.

Are you using hardware transcoding? Are subtitles enabled before playback? Is it live TV?

Can you share an Emby Server log with us? It should log the crash or at least give clues towards crash context as the last item it logged.

ryderjj89
Just now, speechles said:

This is probably the reason. There is no monitor.

Are you using hardware transcoding? Are subtitles enabled before playback? Is it live TV?

Can you share an Emby Server log with us? It should log the crash or at least give clues towards crash context as the last item it logged.

There's never been a monitor. It has a GTX 1650 in it thats fully updated on drivers.

There is no live tv setup. I'll check for subtitles and get the logs. I wasn't sure if emby would save any log since the whole computer crashes.

3 minutes ago, ryderjj89 said:

I wasn't sure if emby would save any log since the whole computer crashes.

Emby should log the Roku attempt to play and show us what it is going to try to do. It may not be able to spawn ffmpeg and that causes the crash. So might be no ffmpeg log. But there should most certainly be an Emby Server log with at least some context at the end to give us some clues about where things go stray.

ryderjj89
Just now, pwhodges said:

What's in the Windows event log at the point of the crash?

Paul

Nothing. That's the worst part. It crashes, comes up and then says in the log crash dump initialization failed and error occurred during dump file creation so I can't get any logs of the windows crash itself.

ryderjj89
Just now, pwhodges said:

Is there no entry before the restart which shows an error?

Paul

None at all. If I had one, I'd surely post it for ya and would have something to go off. I'll see if she can reproduce the crash again and grab the emby server log.

pwhodges

Blue screen crashes are extremely rare these days, and usually only a driver can cause them - or hardware.  If this is associated with transcoding (maybe with particular parameters) it might be worth trying the next older driver.  Or even moving the GTX card to a different slot, if one's available.

Paul

ryderjj89
5 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Blue screen crashes are extremely rare these days, and usually only a driver can cause them - or hardware.  If this is associated with transcoding (maybe with particular parameters) it might be worth trying the next older driver.  Or even moving the GTX card to a different slot, if one's available.

Paul

That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm surely not a noob at troubleshooting issues since I do it for a living. The GPU is not even 2 years old, the older driver didn't fix it as I updated the driver to try and fix it.

The issue only happens when this Roku plays content. No web, no mobile devices, no other TVs, etc. Every other device that plays content is perfectly fine. It's just the Roku. What I've learned from troubleshooting is that if everything is fine but one device, it's something with that device. I'm trying to find out if the 4.7.10 update to Emby server changed something with playback. Or perhaps a bad Roku update. I can't go disassembling my whole setup because of one device. I'm sure you understand that.

Edited by ryderjj89

pwhodges

Well, of course it's not the Roku itself - but something that is happening differently in the server as a result of using that Roku.  So perhaps trying to isolate what commands are different in trying to address the Roku compared with others could be helpful.

But in my experience (before retirement I spent decades doing troubleshooting for a living, too) this feels most likely to be a h/w fault triggered by some particular instruction sequence; either memory or motherboard as favourite culprits.  I can't see a userland process like Emby triggering this directly, at least, not without an event log entry.

Paul

• Like 1

ryderjj89
Just now, Luke said:

Can you please attach the emby server log from when this happens? Thanks.

Yeah I'm gonna ask her to try again and get the log after. Will try to attach it today.

• Thanks 1

ryderjj89

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you please attach the emby server log from when this happens? Thanks.

The log files are attached. These are the most recent 5 logs and their timestamps are around when the server crashed. It got to 33% loading for her then hangs and says content not available.

ffmpeg-transcode-dbafc2db-5c0b-49e3-98fb-2d9f8bd657fc_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e40f6c85-1441-4196-962d-be5ea8bb080e_1.txt embyserver-63805094039.txt hardware_detection-63805094053.txt embyserver.txt

Hi.  If you disable hardware acceleration for transcoding in your server, does the problem stop happening?

ryderjj89
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If you disable hardware acceleration for transcoding in your server, does the problem stop happening?

I haven't tried that since it was just one device. I'll try it though and report back. It's been enabled this whole time. Just don't know what changed.

ryderjj89
21 hours ago, ebr said:

Update: Disabled hardware accelerated transcoding and issue persists only on this Roku.

Were the logs useful at all?

ryderjj89
Just now, Luke said:

Are windows and your graphics drivers both up to date?

Yessir. Double checked to make sure they are all up to date.