Linux permissions. I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

Learning_Curve

Learning_Curve

Hi,

I'm running my Emby server on Manjaro Linux. The PC has a number of internal HDDs that are mounted at startup, and also shared via NFS. Each of the four HDDs contains one half of my Movies and TV libraries.

I created a user and group 'media', and added my user, Emby, and one other service to the group. I set all the mount points to be owned by my user and the media group. Emby is able to read all the libraries, but can't delete something if I so choose. Interestingly, the other service has full rw permission.

The folders are mounted in a folder /data, again owned by my user and the media group. I've used setfacl to allow my user, emby, and the other service to specifically create and delete files.

Output of ls -l

   /data  ls -l                                                                                                                                ✔  zero@zero-desktop
total 136
drwxrwsrwx+ 910 zero media 73728 Nov 15 15:50 Movies
drwxrwsrwx+ 349 zero media 36864 Nov 18 13:34 Movies2
drwxrwsrwx+   6 zero zero   4096 Nov 10 05:27 Storage
drwxrwsrwx+  49 zero media  4096 Nov 17 06:44 TV
drwxrwsrwx+  35 zero media  4096 Nov 13 17:22 TV2

Not sure what other info to provide.

I've actually tried setting the owner as emby:emby, and it didn't make a difference. I've also tried other variations involving my user, my group, the 'media' user and group, the other service's user and group, each time followed by either restarting emby-server.service, or an outright system reboot.

Still, when I try and delete a file from within the Emby interface, I get an error about not having write permission.

How to I get Emby write access, despite the fact that it should already have it?

Learning_Curve

Hi, yes, i did see that thread. The opening post is really just a primer on linux file permissions and, while I'm no expert, I'm not entirely ignorant of how ownership/access works. The rest of it is 3 pages of 20 different people having 50 different problems.

Still, on Page 3, someone mentioned making sure the mounting options in fstab were correct. Sure enough, I was mounting as uid=1000,gid=1000. I just changed it to uid=1000 and gid=1004 (media). Now I can delete files within within Emby.

I still don't get how sickchill worked and emby didn't, but I'll still take this as a win.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...