Jump to content

Emby Classic


aziz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello Emby Team and community.

It has been a while since I was on the forum, but I am a very happy user of EMBY and continue to be, especially when it runs 24 x 7 for many years without me needing to do anything 😀

 

That said, my hard drive crashed on my Emby Classic PC machine and i need to rebuilt it.

I fully understand that Emby Classic is dead, and I am not expecting any support at all..

 

I just need to know if I can get hold of the install files for emby classic and the plug in that came with it.. I am sure these files are on a github someplace, and if you kindly point me to the right direct, i will attempt to download and install.

 

Many thanks good people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you very much FrostByte...

This should get me started in rebuilding windows 7 😀.

I have had a quick look, and found installer for Emby Classic.. Does the GameBrowser plugin live in the same place, or is that in a separate place?

Thank you for you help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK... clearly i spoke too soon...

I assumed wrongly, that if I download the code from Github, I will get a setup file which I double click and the whole installation will happen..  That still might be the case, but I am lost..

 

I did not find any executables in the code I download from github...

 

Can anyone point me to a write up on how to install Emby Classic from the github code... thanks guys..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi.  You do not need to install from code.  Just install this:

However, you are going to want to be sure your server is 4.6.x.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello ebr... It has been a long time sir... thanks for your quick answer...

 

I shall try that next... 

By the way... I love all the other platforms, and they are solid now.  That said, I think Emby Theater is good over all, but the last time I tried it, the music player had ways to match that of WMC, plus I could not get the GameBrowser to work on emby theater to launch games, but I am not sure it actually design to do.

 

Anyway.. i will rebuild my old machine for now, and i am the only one using it.. everyone else in my house is using either Android TV, smart TV or their own devices.

Thank you very much ebr.. 

p.s.  does this code also contains gamesbrowser plugin?

 

Here is a crazy idea...  is there a way to launch YouTube from within emby client..  so the idea is.. I am watching a movie, then I decided to watch 10 minutes of youtube, and i don't want to leave emby theater, so i just click within emby client (android, ios, etc) and have access to youtube app within emby... if this is already done, then please point me to where i can get it.  (currently I am doing this witin Windows Media Center using batch file, and the whole thing is driven by my microsoft remote control)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, aziz said:

does this code also contains gamesbrowser plugin?

No, it is just Emby for WMC

7 minutes ago, aziz said:

Here is a crazy idea...  is there a way to launch YouTube from within emby client..  so the idea is.. I am watching a movie, then I decided to watch 10 minutes of youtube, and i don't want to leave emby theater, so i just click within emby client (android, ios, etc) and have access to youtube app within emby... if this is already done, then please point me to where i can get it.  (currently I am doing this witin Windows Media Center using batch file, and the whole thing is driven by my microsoft remote control)

Not at this time but most devices have at least a "home" button that will take you to where you can easily launch any other app and I even have an Android TV that has a dedicated YouTube button on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks ebr...  You have a valid point with the "home" button on most devices, and you are right, the PC as a device is dying or dead, and the devices have already taken over.

 

Question:  I am unable to get the plugin catalog on emby Classic...   everytime I click it, emby crashes out to WMC.  Is there a way to get the plugin manually?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks ebr... I appreciate all your help...  I just need the GameBrowser plugin for Emby Classic.

Is it going to be a single file?  and can I just stick it in a certain folder and it will run...  thanks again ebr...🙏

 

If anyone has the Gamebrowser plugin for emby classic, can you please share... good people.. thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello ebr,

 

I am trying to get the Gamebrowser files from old backups I have from my old installation.

 

What files should i be looking for, how many, and which folders will they live in..

 

Thanks ebr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am running the EMC client on a Win 7 PC but I never had gamebrowser installed so I can't help you there.

However, in the ever evolving media collection, cataloging and displaying you have to decide the point where you stop and say this will work for me for what I want to do and backup that configuration and since you no longer update it you are golden. For me I have stopped updating the server after 4.0.10 for a Win 7 box. I run Throg's themes for the eye candy presentation and it will do all the home theater stuff I want, but that is just it limited to Music Videos, Movies, TV Shows and Documentaries and nothing else of the additional features that were available under Media Browser (Emby Classic).

Since we are depending on the developers and where they are taking their product I added a QNAP NAS and installed the latest server version, update it to the latest version regularly and use it for Live TV, Newest Content that I want to share with others and watch myself within a month. This way I have one server that has the latest content and another server that can play the Terabytes content that I collected over the years but to be honest I use the QNAP with a Roku or Chromecast client far more then the EMC client with the TBs on two Unraid servers.

To further add to this if you are into games why not consider the NVidea Shield, I will look for that device if they come up with a new model. Since you and I don't have the smarts to write our own cataloging and display program we have to roll with the developers and hope that they don't pull a Google on us and discontinue what we are relying on.

Perhaps someone else may have the gamebrowser files but I seriously doubt it as the home theater guys and the Win 7 stalwarts are slowly dying out.

Edited by One2Go
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, One2Go said:

I am running the EMC client on a Win 7 PC but I never had gamebrowser installed so I can't help you there.

However, in the ever evolving media collection, cataloging and displaying you have to decide the point where you stop and say this will work for me for what I want to do and backup that configuration and since you no longer update it you are golden. For me I have stopped updating the server after 4.0.10 for a Win 7 box. I run Throg's themes for the eye candy presentation and it will do all the home theater stuff I want, but that is just it limited to Music Videos, Movies, TV Shows and Documentaries and nothing else of the additional features that were available under Media Browser (Emby Classic).

Since we are depending on the developers and where they are taking their product I added a QNAP NAS and installed the latest server version, update it to the latest version regularly and use it for Live TV, Newest Content that I want to share with others and watch myself within a month. This way I have one server that has the latest content and another server that can play the Terabytes content that I collected over the years but to be honest I use the QNAP with a Roku or Chromecast client far more then the EMC client with the TBs on two Unraid servers.

To further add to this if you are into games why not consider the NVidea Shield, I will look for that device if they come up with a new model. Since you and I don't have the smarts to write our own cataloging and display program we have to roll with the developers and hope that they don't pull a Google on us and discontinue what we are relying on.

Perhaps someone else may have the gamebrowser files but I seriously doubt it as the home theater guys and the Win 7 stalwarts are slowly dying out.

Thanks One2Go,

I enjoyed reading your post, and I am certainly another one who still enjoys WMC and Emby Classic.  I have just over 30tb of content, between movies, music, TV, photos and videos and off course, games.  Thank good it is on Raid system.

The real reason I am still on WMC and Emby Classic is because the new platform are not all rounders like a PC is.  So, Android TV is great for Movies and TV, but lacks the music and home photo's ability. and no real games.  Nvidia shield i hear is great for games but Music and photos is an issue.

What i enjoy is a single device (WMC & Emby classic), that allows me to play movies & TV on 5.1 amp,  play music in clever que system, allowing to build a playlist on the fly, and then start a home photos slide show while music playing in the background, and all of done with a simple remote control, without having to touch a keyboard or a mouse or a screen.  And when your mood changes... pick up the remote and select to play a game of choice, without the need to touch anything else but the remote control.  once the game is on the screen, the wireless controller drives the game...   All this.. One Device... Fast as hell... With Games that are "real" games.

When I am done... single click on the remote shuts the TV, AMP and puts the PC to sleep.  I guess, it is simplisty and integration that keeps me on this platform..

I have tried Emby Theater, and it is very good since the early days, but the music and photo sharing and games is still not there.. but the remote integration is quite good (but not a real eye candy :-))

I have frozen my server, and will stay on Emby classic as long as possible, or until Emby Theater give the same level of integration as WMC with Emby Classic.

take care. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, aziz said:

So, Android TV is great for Movies and TV, but lacks the music and home photo's ability. and no real games.  Nvidia shield i hear is great for games but Music and photos is an issue.

What i enjoy is a single device (WMC & Emby classic), that allows me to play movies & TV on 5.1 amp,  play music in clever que system, allowing to build a playlist on the fly, and then start a home photos slide show while music playing in the background, and all of done with a simple remote control, without having to touch a keyboard or a mouse or a screen.

Hi.  Our Android TV app will allow you to do that very thing as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Our Android TV app will allow you to do that very thing as well.

Yes it does, and I use the Android TV app in the bedroom because it is small and I don't playgames on it..  It is very good Emby App..

However.  The games I had in mind is Call of Duty on max graphic or FIFA or PES or car racing on max graphics and max sound.   That's what I mean by real games.  PC games.

Also, the Music Playing is OK, but it is not as smooth from user point of view as old WMC.  queuing single songs from different albums and going back and forth is painful in Android TV.  Plus Home photos are way too difficult to cue with or without music.

Just my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, aziz said:

Yes it does

Okay, well you specifically said that it wouldn't do a slide show with music so I wanted to clear that up.

6 hours ago, aziz said:

queuing single songs from different albums and going back and forth is painful

In exactly what way?  How could we make it better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, well you specifically said that it wouldn't do a slide show with music so I wanted to clear that up.

In exactly what way?  How could we make it better?

Hi ebr,

I am really glad you are picking up on this, and i am sure your aim is to improve the Android TV platform to make it the same or even better than Emby Classic.  So, let me do my part and help you with user feedback to achieve those results, as it will ultimately help me too.

 

So, yes, it does the slide show, but that's not enough.  You can enable a feature to make it a tick mark, or you can design a feature to make it very usable..  Emby on Android TV has majority of the tick marks features, but they are not usable.  I have scratched my head yesterday to understand why, and i think i have finally got the answer.

 

So, the major draw back on Emby Android TV is a users lack of control. let me give you an example of my usage....

1- Start Emby Android TV. (very smooth and nice so far....)

2-decide i am in the mood for music.. click music library, and choose by album ( so far so good)

3- wants to listen to Metallica, click on the M letter, and it will take me to beginning of M, and then i have to scroll many many pages until I get to Metallica (on WMC, just click the 6338 - MET)

4- once got to Metallica, que the song i want (easy and nice)

5- repeat the painful step 3 above for as many songs as i want to listen too.. (normally at least 20)... very painful process.

6- once que is populated with songs... I have to keep clicking back until i get to home screen so I can select the photo library (on WMC single click, just click the GREEN button)

7- select the photo album i want to view, and click play (again, same problems as music album selection issue)

8- 5 minutes later, you decide to change the music, and just listen to one artist... you have to keep pressing back all the way and repeat the process again.. on WMC, single click GREEN button, choose new music, then click back few times, and you are in the photo album again without missing a beat.

 

That's what I mean by integration.  Many companies prior to Apple tried to integrate phone, calendar, email together, and failed.. Apple was successful because of the integration level.. Apple made it fit like a glove..  

 

Emby is already 90% of the way there.. but the last 10% is the hardest...

 

My suggestion would be to add a GREEN button (which is good since Emby Logo is green) to every part of the app.  so image this.....

I am at step 8 above.. and decided to change music... I just click the green button (let us say we simulate green button by "long press" the OK button, and select HOME.  then once at home, go to said library, and select new music.  Once that is done... click back button until I get to the Slide show again... that will get you guys closer integration than today..  

in future.. a "long press" could even give you your favorite library, like music or photo, or even between Movies and TV, making the Emby Android TV seem multitasking...

same feedback should be applied to Emby Theater, and on that platform, they have the green button already..  they just need to copy WMC...

I hope this help.  Once again ebr and team.. Thank you guys for making such an awesome product.  I have been using it from the early 2000, and I am very happy user still (and I am using a discontinued device... can you imagine if i was using the latest tech)

 

all the best.. aziz 

p.s.  Date Played is a "tick mark" feature that already exists in Emby Android TV, however, it is not a usable feature.  Make it usable by making it accessible at the right moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, aziz said:

I have to keep clicking back until i get to home screen

5 minutes ago, aziz said:

you have to keep pressing back

5 minutes ago, aziz said:

I am at step 8 above.. and decided to change music... I just click the green button (let us say we simulate green button by "long press" the OK button, and select HOME. 

Long press on Back button will take you to Home screen, instead of clicking it number of times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Long press on Back button will take you to Home screen, instead of clicking it number of times.

Yep - that would be the equivalent of the WMC green button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2022 at 7:00 PM, ebr said:

Yep - that would be the equivalent of the WMC green button.

Hi ebr...

 

I have spent the last couple of days trying to find out if I can replicate my "usage" of WMC+Emby classic to Android TV Emby.  like I said before, it is almost there, minus the "real" games.

That said, and regarding the "long press" Back button... It is not the equivalent of WMC green button.. it is almost there, but missing vital piece...

On WMC, the Green button, will take you "one step" back per click to whatever you are doing last..(so, if i was using Emby classic, then click green button to go to music library and choose music, then decide to go to the same place in Emby Classic... it is only few "Back button" clicks away, and i will be back in the same place of Emby Classic..

On Android TV.. long press of "Back button", will take you home (which is great), but it will forget everything else.. it will reset everything to zero...

Are you able to do the same, but without "resetting" history to zero.. I mean.. I am in Movies by genre, then long press "Back" button, and chose TV views, then change my mind, and click back button few times and be back were I started in movies by genre??  I don't even know if it is technically possible, but this will be great addition if it is possible..

thanks for giving me the time to add feedback to this great platform...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, aziz said:

Are you able to do the same, but without "resetting" history to zero..

That may be possible but not likely what most people want.  If they go back home, they expect the next back to exit the app.  In fact, that's usually why people use that feature.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ebr said:

That may be possible but not likely what most people want.  If they go back home, they expect the next back to exit the app.  In fact, that's usually why people use that feature.

OK.. maybe you are right... but...  On my Android TV remote, there is a button that will get me out of Emby in a single click (I think it must be app button or something like that.  i believe this button has the same function on all Android TV platforms, so, why press the back button, and then press it again, just to be asked if you want to exist, then click OK.. why not just use the Android app button??

 

That said, why Emby for Android not cater for both...  my be a behavior like.. "Long press" the back button for navigation needs.. and "Long Long press" back button to get the hell our of dodge without being asked again for confirmation..  is that possible to do?

 

thanks ebr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

actually, come to think about it...

Can you reprogram the Android TV remote buttons, and if yes, maybe make the android app to be the green button.😀... screw google, as I like them even less than I like microsoft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...