3.0.17 appears to have broken HEVC playback

AdrianW

troyhough
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try enabling the gpu_next renderer in the app's video settings and see if that helps. Thanks.

That seemed to work. Thanks.

ATSC3 OTA were black before with just audio. Those seem to work now too, although take forever to tune.

• Thanks 1

I am on ET 3.0.18 on Windows 11 and I still can't read HEVC correctly unless EMBY Server transcode the video to h264.
This picture is what happen when I attempt to read an HEVC video.

At least the audio is working fine.

This happens on Windows 11 and a friend of mine have it too on Windows 11 but in my Windows 10 pc it works fine.

image.thumb.png.8eb067fa218b7a281f6db590cf78a504.png

1 minute ago, RAYTEK said:

I am on ET 3.0.18 on Windows 11 and I still can't read HEVC correctly unless EMBY Server transcode the video to h264.
This picture is what happen when I attempt to read an HEVC video.

At least the audio is working fine.

This happens on Windows 11 and a friend of mine have it too on Windows 11 but in my Windows 10 pc it works fine.

image.thumb.png.8eb067fa218b7a281f6db590cf78a504.png

Hi, please try updating to the new 3.0.19 release. Thanks.

generiq

For Windows 11, be aware that it handles gpu resources differently to Windows 10. I have two GPUs in my computer, and Windows 11 decides which to use with each app. You can manually select per app what GPU is used. And just recently, it did something to disable the iGPU, which in turn screwed up all GPU resources and usage. So make sure you aren't getting similar shenanigans.

11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try updating to the new 3.0.19 release. Thanks.

Thank you, the app updated automatically today and now it works for me and my friend!

Edited by RAYTEK
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Raptor6L

Hi @Luke

I discovered this problem yesterday afternoon and as yet haven't been able to resolve it.

Theater is 3.0.19 | Server is 4.7.11.0 | Win10

I have found that some\ most of my movies freeze at the start, just showing the backdrop. OSD is responsive but pause\ play does nothing and the skip forward\ backwards is greyed out. Funny thing is, if I use my remote, I can skip forward and the movie will play from there. Or skip forward then rewind it back to the start and it'll play.

Attached the Server log. Does Theater have a log? If so, do you need it and if so, where can I find it?

At 15:22 (and about 5 seconds) I started playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It just showed the backdrop and didn't actually play. About 15 seconds later I pressed the skip button on my remote which skipped to the next chapter and started playing.

After this log, I also tried swapping to GPU-Next and that hasn't helped.

Thanks

Chris

embyserver.txt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, Raptor6L said:

Hi @Luke

I discovered this problem yesterday afternoon and as yet haven't been able to resolve it.

Theater is 3.0.19 | Server is 4.7.11.0 | Win10

I have found that some\ most of my movies freeze at the start, just showing the backdrop. OSD is responsive but pause\ play does nothing and the skip forward\ backwards is greyed out. Funny thing is, if I use my remote, I can skip forward and the movie will play from there. Or skip forward then rewind it back to the start and it'll play.

Attached the Server log. Does Theater have a log? If so, do you need it and if so, where can I find it?

At 15:22 (and about 5 seconds) I started playing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It just showed the backdrop and didn't actually play. About 15 seconds later I pressed the skip button on my remote which skipped to the next chapter and started playing.

After this log, I also tried swapping to GPU-Next and that hasn't helped.

Thanks

Chris

embyserver.txt 705.39 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, how have you configured video settings in the app?

• 3 weeks later...
Raptor6L

Hi Luke

Sorry for the delayed reply. Holidays and all that family stuff.

Turns out this is only happens on the one PC, which has been giving me issues in other areas as well. Not sure why it's doing it, but conveniently I intend to retire this pc shortly anyway, so I'm not going to spend any more time trying to figure it out.

Thanks anyway.

Chris

• Thanks 1

AdrianW

Something else I've noticed with HEVC videos - ET now seems unable to resume playback (or start at a chapter point).

When pressing resume (or choosing a chapter) the backdrop displays and just stays there and ET appears to hang.  I have to Alt-tab so I can force close it. 

I also tried a few H264 videos and they didn't have the issue.

• Thanks 1