3.0.17 appears to have broken HEVC playback

AdrianW

generiq
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

When you say you replaced the build does that mean you put Shinchiro's build into Theater, or you tested it via mpv directly?

I used shinchiro's libmpv.dll directly in Theater. I kept the Emby build and alternated between them, to run tests.

kazolarYG

Glad I found this -- was watching a movie, realized I had the wrong version of the movie ripped, got the disk, ripped an alternate version, started up Theater -- can't play -- even got a library error. Reinstalled all Windows HEVC libraries, reinstalled Emby Theater, still can't play -- found where the archived versions are, copied 3.0.16 over -- set the do not update flag in config -- can play HEVC movies again. Couldn't play ANY HDR mkv movie I have and I have hundreds, none of them worked. They all played back in media center fine. Worked fine in 3.0.16. 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:57 PM, kazolarYG said:

Glad I found this -- was watching a movie, realized I had the wrong version of the movie ripped, got the disk, ripped an alternate version, started up Theater -- can't play -- even got a library error. Reinstalled all Windows HEVC libraries, reinstalled Emby Theater, still can't play -- found where the archived versions are, copied 3.0.16 over -- set the do not update flag in config -- can play HEVC movies again. Couldn't play ANY HDR mkv movie I have and I have hundreds, none of them worked. They all played back in media center fine. Worked fine in 3.0.16. 

Same boat as you. Execpt last weekend I built a new HTPC. I assumed it was a driver issue or some windows setting i messed up. Downgraded to 3.0.16 and all my 4k HVEC TrueHD files play fine now.

generiq
On 11/19/2022 at 10:17 PM, AdrianW said:

I did try an mkv with a 6 channel AAC track and that did play OK. But, without those config lines it dropped back to stereo.

The ac3 encoder doesn't upmix from stereo to 5.1. If that's what you want, you should use the surround filter, instead. Assuming you're using HDMI?

af=surround=chl_out=5.1

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#surround

AdrianW
6 minutes ago, generiq said:

The ac3 encoder doesn't upmix from stereo to 5.1.

I was using those config settings to get AAC 5.1 re-encoded to AC3 5.1 to be sent to my receiver (yes - via HDMI). It also re-encoded 2 channel AAC to 2 channel AC3 but that was causing the video not to play at all. 

I've commented out the lines and that workaround is OK for now. 

Edited by AdrianW

generiq
1 minute ago, AdrianW said:

I was using those config settings to get AAC 5.1 re-encoded to AC3 5.1 to be sent to my receiver (yes - via HDMI). 

You should probably just let it decode to PCM. Can you get it to do that? Set the channel number in Theater, maybe add  audio-channels=5.1 to your auto-profile? 

generiq
7 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

It also re-encoded 2 channel AAC to 2 channel AC3 but that was causing the video not to play at all. 

You can make an auto-profile specifically for 2 channel audio and use the surround filter.

[AAC stereo to surround]
profile-cond=(p["audio-codec-name"]=="aac") and p["audio-params/channel-count"]==2
af=surround=chl_out=5.1

AdrianW
17 minutes ago, generiq said:

You should probably just let it decode to PCM. Can you get it to do that? Set the channel number in Theater, maybe add  audio-channels=5.1 to your auto-profile? 

Channel numbers are set in Theatre and I have these audio related lines in mpv.conf:

audio-channels=7.1,5.1,stereo
audio-spdif=ac3,dts,dts-hd,eac3,truehd
audio-buffer=1
ad-lavc-downmix=no
# af=lavcac3enc=yes:640:2

#[extension.mkv]
#profile-desc=cond:(p["audio-codec-name"]=="aac" or p["audio-codec-name"]=="mp3") and p["audio-params/channel-count"]==6
#af=lavcac3enc=yes:640:6

I'm happy enough with it now. I've basically transitioned to using Infuse for playback of my Emby library anyway. Theatre is used for a different user who mainly watches content with 2 channel AAC (Anime). 

I used to have a lot of content with 6 channel AAC, but I've replaced most of that over time.

Hello i am joining here and wanted to know somthing i have a 5.1 soundbar as in two speakers in the back and iam using Spidf from soundbar to pc

No Hdmi

i wanted to change aac audio to pcm or is AAc a surround sound codec or audioname 

i am no expert just trying to learn 

in the end what i whant is that AAC play to  PCM if its surround to 5.1 ?

because when i use ADrianw it now says Atmos DD+ sounbar

Edited by Gofran

generiq

I'm wondering if it's more to do with the spdif / audio driver???? For whatever reason, if I connect my computer to a receiver via HDMI, it works. When not connected via HDMI, with that filter it needs to assume spdif. And somehow with the emby build, it hits a wall. Where shinchiro's somehow handles it differently, and plays through. This is just my speculation. Or it simply could be that ffmpeg error interrupting the process.

AdrianW
29 minutes ago, generiq said:

if I connect my computer to a receiver via HDMI, it works

My NUC is connected to a received via HDMI and wasn't working.

generiq
1 hour ago, AdrianW said:

My NUC is connected to a received via HDMI and wasn't working.

But it might be more prevalent with some audio devices, than others.

AdrianW
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please try this build and let me know how it compares?

Uncommented the lines from mpv.conf and checked my installed ET and it still fails to play the file I was originally having issues with.

Tried the test build and it plays! Well done, that appears to have fixed it. I did try a few other files of various types and they were working too.

I did notice a possibly unrelated issue with one interlaced file (I'm pretty sure I have the ET de-interlace setting at "auto" in both) - it played at 50Hz in the new build and was very jerky, but played at 25Hz in the prod version and was smooth. Changing the de-interlace setting to "Off" in the new build made it play at 25Hz and smooth.

generiq

Well, I can't play anything... But I think it's server related this time. I just get the eternal spinning circle. My laptop just had some kind of Windows update. I think it's screwed stuff up... to be continued....

Plays in a browser, but not Theater.... (transcoded)

Edited by generiq

generiq

OK, I whipped Windows into submission, aaaand.... I suppose it works.... but I need to plug into a receiver, or I get nothing. I think that's a change in mpv, not emby. It didn't used to be like that. No errors in the log this time, so it looks like we're good to go.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, generiq said:

OK, I whipped Windows into submission, aaaand.... I suppose it works.... but I need to plug into a receiver, or I get nothing. I think that's a change in mpv, not emby. It didn't used to be like that. No errors in the log this time, so it looks like we're good to go.

Thanks. Since there is still one more fix to make, can you please double check this issue against the build I posted here:

Thanks.

troyhough

Just installed 3.0.18 on my Windows PC. Some HEVC does not play back at all. Looks like I am looking at the concrete when driving down the Interstate from about 2ft away. Not sure if .17 did this, haven't used Theater in a while...

1 minute ago, troyhough said:

Just installed 3.0.18 on my Windows PC. Some HEVC does not play back at all. Looks like I am looking at the concrete when driving down the Interstate from about 2ft away. Not sure if .17 did this, haven't used Theater in a while...

Try enabling the gpu_next renderer in the app's video settings and see if that helps. Thanks.