2 rokus 1 works, 1 does not

candybar213

candybar213

I know I have not posed the logs yet like you ask but I wanted to let you know that I just updated the server to the most recent ver and the roku channels as well and both my rokus are now doing the same thing will play fine on lowest quality setting also i noticed the blue bar at the top of the page that says "media browser" has a flicker to it and before only the one that had a problem was doing it now they both are and they both have the problem I wonder if it is a problem with the roku master settings but I have reset the one to factory and it was still doing it.

I know I have not posed the logs yet like you ask but I wanted to let you know that I just updated the server to the most recent ver and the roku channels as well and both my rokus are now doing the same thing will play fine on lowest quality setting also i noticed the blue bar at the top of the page that says "media browser" has a flicker to it and before only the one that had a problem was doing it now they both are and they both have the problem I wonder if it is a problem with the roku master settings but I have reset the one to factory and it was still doing it.

Honestly not sure. Make sure your on the latest version of the Roku client 1.16.3. Also it could very easily be a bug in the Roku software itself. See what version of the Roku software your running. 5.2 should be hitting most boxes soon if not already and it does fix a few bugs.

lovesmediabrowser

I ran into this problem with my roku it is a setting in the mediabrowser app. Its the movie image type in the preference section. If you pick the default should work fine.  I was messing around with the setting and came across that. Best I can figure is that the server didn't have the other movie image types so it would glitch when you would launch a movie.  At first I thought it was the server crashing but as soon as I put it back to the default setting it worked like a charm. I have the roku HD wireless model. (black one )

The movie image type should have zero bearing on whether something plays or not. That is only for display purposes on the screens prior to the details/playback screens.

lovesmediabrowser

That's what I figured to but when I would go to play a movie it would kick me totally out of the app.  I'll take a look at it tonight and see if I can re create it.

candybar213

i checked the app settings and they are all set on the defaults except the video quality and it has to be set on the lowest one. I did the firmware upgrade on both rokus and that is what broke the one that did work fine before. still trying to get to all the logs you wanted sorry.

heffe2001

I'm having the same exact problem with a 2 XD.  Roku MB app is current (1.63.3), Ruko software is 5.2 (3264).  My server version is now current as well (was one version behind).  I don't get a ffdshow log, and it appears that it only send out the request for the URL, then nothing else happens (I have a log of mine attached, tried to start a couple different things).

If I set the quality down at the lowest, it appears to work.  IF the file is an AVI, it transcodes and plays (quality definitely is lacking).  If it's a MKV, it appears (to me anyway) to be playing without transcoding (I'll attach logs of this behavior if you request it, the quality appears to my eye to be the same as the raw mkv file played on my desktop).  (It appears I was incorrect here, it's transcoding the mkvs as well, looked good at 10', but up close you an tell it's transcoded).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5p2svgz00qiqtta/server-6352056414.txt

Edited by heffe2001

I don't see any playback in that log. Make sure there is actually playback in the log so we can see what is going on. Thanks.

heffe2001

That's the problem, it'll play on the lowest quality setting, but if I set it to anything else ,there's nothing generated in the logs at all other than what you see there.  Nothing, nada.  I hit play (or resume), it flashes the retrieving screen up for a half second and goes back to the movie detail screen.  No logged data (it appears anyway).

I started a new log, and started playing the video (a MKV in this case) with quality at it's lowest.  I stopped the video, set the quality to default (3.2 I believe), exited the app and went back in, and tried to resume the video.  Flashed the retrieving screen up, and back to selection.  I then zipped up the 2 log files, and that's what I'm attaching now.  It looks like on anything but the lowest setting, the server isn't even getting a request from the Roku app to start anything?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56n5y0czne4vkoq/logs.zip

heffe2001

OK, ignore my logs, and something for the original poster to check, go into the setup of your Roku, and make sure you're set at 720p or 1080p in your display settings.  If you aren't, NO setting works other than the lowest (sd) setting.  I put mine on 720p, and now it works at default (haven't tried anything else yet, but I'm betting it'll work).

I'll go hide in a corner now, lol.

Ah yeah I never thought of that. I'm guessing the internal video player basically looks at that and if it is set to 480p, it limits the video to that. Whenever you try to play a video above that, it errors out. Since the only setting in the MB software that is below 720p for requesting video is the 664 KB one, it is the only one working. 

heffe2001

Is there a way you can put a check into the software for that, and pop a message if you try to go higher than supported by the 480p setting?  I'm wondering if this will fix the OP's problem as well?

Yeah I'll see if there is a way to provide a warning message in those situations. Just wondering what users on old displays are using. If they are leaving it to default or pushing it down so they can get it to work.

candybar213

I will check this when I get home this morning but it sounds right because the one that worked was on my tv that is a new flat screen and the one that didn't work was started on an older tv I will hook it back to HDMI and see if I can up the output and try it ou

candybar213

ok I took the rokus one at a time and hooked them up hdmi to my tv and that made the 720p setting available I selected it then set the app to the default HD setting and it worked fine did this with both rokus and it worked fine hooked them back up to the older TV and it still works fine as long as no one goes into the display settings on the main roku. if you do it will remove it from 720p and the hd setting will not work again. Great catch to the other guy with this problem it will only happen to someone that is on an older tv set so that is why it is more rare.  :D

Glad it is working. I would have never guessed that was the problem. At least we will know now and I plan to try to put a warning in.

heffe2001

Sounds like your TV isn't reporting it's capabilities back to the Roku correctly, I'm assuming that you're using HDMI output?.  Glad it works now though.

candybar213

It's working fine now remember the roku a are on a couple of old TV sets using RCA when moved to an HDMI tv I could move the quality up and it would play without the glitch so it is working fine now you just have to make sure the app is not trying to output higher quality than the roku is set to or it is a crash