2 rokus 1 works, 1 does not

candybar213

candybar213

My boys have a roku in there rooms one seems to play fine I  believe all my files have not found one yet it does not play. the other one however all videos show up but when I click play it will flash on the black screen that says "retrieving ...." then back to the previous screen. I have reset the roku to factory setting with no change. server is running windows 7 64bit but like i say runs fine on one roku, both rokus are model 2500x. thanks for any help

candybar213

ok i tried that and it is the same click play goes to retrieving screen for about half a sec then back to the screen about the movie with picture and the click play button.

Make sure your settings are matching for each box. The video quality setting that is. Also you might provide us with some details of the video itself that your trying to play. 

candybar213

ok they are both hooked to an old tv the big box type with RCA cables the video quality was the same on both it seems to play if i set it to the lowest setting. This file is an avi any idea why it only lets me play on the lowest quailty setting

Well if it is an AVI, it would be transcoding. Are you trying to play these both at the same time? Maybe your server can't handle the load of two transcoding jobs at once. 

candybar213

It is with any type of file and even when there is nothing playing on the other one the server should handle a few playing at once. I have avi mp4 mkv files and have the same issue with all file types

We will need clean server logs. Clear out all your server logs, then try playing a video. Then provide us with the ffmpeg and server logs. We can take a look. Thanks.

candybar213

I will do that latter this morning but I need a step by step please sorry I am Making it so hard on you but I will get it to you so if there is a problem it can be fixed for all

1. Navigate to the video you want to play on the roku

2. Paste the following in the location bar of windows explorer  %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\logs

3. Delete the entire contents of that folder.

4. Attempt playback on the roku.

5. Open the resulting log files in notepad or similar the paste them to paste2.org or copy the files to your dropbox/skydrive whatever is best for you.

6. Paste the links to the files here.

Cheers

TIA

candybar213

This is the link to the failed server logs there was no ffmpeg log after this attempt to play:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MEGlrrKlmMZnBoaUZiakQxeDg/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the log of the successful server logs but it is in the lowest possible video quality setting and the ffmpeg:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MEGlrrKlmMRlBmbzlZM2Vxb1k/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MEGlrrKlmMNkFHcnRkTUI5ME0/edit?usp=sharing

the file name in the successful log is correct and I was trying to get the same file with the failed one but it is showing a complete different folder. the only thing that I changed was the video quality. let me know what you find thank you again.

these are on google drive hope that is ok with you if not let me know.

Bumping this to get Tikuf to take a look through the logs if he hasn't yet and see if he notices anything. I don't. Can you provide us with the media information on the file. If you navigate to the item within the web client you will see a details area that gives all sorts of media information. If you could copy that here for us to look at too. Thanks.

There is no playback attempt in the failed log and the success log doesn't have the url that is called.

I will need full logs on this. If you could stop the server del all your log files and restart server and try again on both roku and link the full logs please.

candybar213

Ok here is what I did:

Turn off server

del logs

restart server

turn on good roku

find movie

play movie 10-15 sec 

pause and return to roku home

turn on bad roku

find same movie

try to play at default video quality, flash and back to video info screen

change quality to lowest setting

replay same video 10-15 sec

pause and return to roku home

turn off server

here is the server log and the two ffmeg logs that were in the folder when I finshed this they are in a shared folder in my google drive let me know if you can't see them all but I think you can

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6MEGlrrKlmMaDg4QnA2WHdUWFE&usp=sharing

Cool thanks I will look into it on first perusal the second roku is requesting the video at a smaller size (quality settings i assume) the ffmpeg c/l is executing properly in both instances.

Are the roku the exact same model and same firmware etc

candybar213

Not positive about firmwere version but they both say they are up to date and they are both 2500x model so if I understand you right you can't find in the log where it is ever trying to play at at the default setting only the lower quality well do you have any thing in mind to try now just let me know where to go from here

I will go thru the logs see if anything stands out will get back to you. Just tied up with android at the minute.

candybar213

I feel really good I was able to get two developers stumped thanks for all the help I will be will just continue to watch in low def till you get back

candybar213

i just checked both roku's and they under the about tab in the setting the softwear is set ver. 5.1 build 1197 on both not sure if there is somewhere else to look for a firmwear but that is what i found out for now

As long as they both are on the same one it should be showing up the same on both. Really unsure on this one.

Not stumped (yet) just had a quick peek

Can you do the following for me please

go to  %appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\cache\encoded-media 

make sure it is empty

then run a clean log for the one that plays and post the logs

then again check

%appdata%\MediaBrowser-Server\cache\encoded-media 

make sure it is empty and run a clean log for the one that doesn't play (make sure the settings on the roku system are the same (as in audio)

makes sure the settings are the same for the channel

and run a clean log for it too (don't drop the settings down)

I need to compare apples to apples

Thanks