4k hdr is not activating on beelink gt king emby ATV v2.0.83g

eeeeeesy
Go to solution Solved by eeeeeesy,

eeeeeesy

4k hdr is not activating on my samsung q90t tv on  beelink gt king android box emby ATV v2.0.83g.

when i check the setting on my tv while playing 4k hdr10 video from emby it show hdr is not activated.

image.jpeg.6e5080f43103383d1905e02a417f23c3.jpegimage.jpeg.ef87791acf885015895c0957e339689c.jpeg

I know hdr does work with my beeling gtking android box because if i turn on the setting to convert sdr to hdr and hdr to sdr i see the hdr logo on the picture mode setting for my samsung tv. but since it does not show up with those settings off i know that video is only converting sdr to hdr.

my server shows it is streaming 4k thoughimage.png.a86469410337a5638bd0473fdce5d2d2.png

Edited by eeeeeesy

eeeeeesy

why is it  transcoding and why is it reducing bitrate? @Luke  this is on direct play in the app with vod, not live tv.  

Edited by eeeeeesy

Hi.  As it says in the image you posted, it is tone-mapping.  Therefore, your TV is not going to see it as HDR.  It is not possible to pass HDR when transcoding so we tone-map it to get as close as possible.

The reason it is transcoding is also in the image.  Didn't you say previously that you had set the quality to 40mb?  That item is 43.

eeeeeesy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  As it says in the image you posted, it is tone-mapping.  Therefore, your TV is not going to see it as HDR.  It is not possible to pass HDR when transcoding so we tone-map it to get as close as possible.

The reason it is transcoding is also in the image.  Didn't you say previously that you had set the quality to 40mb?  That item is 43.

no its not set to 40mbps manualyy. every quality setting is on "Auto". anyway i managed to find a temporary fix which was to disable transcoding per user in user settings..

image.png.abbfd9fbeaac013195cf42b0763a836f.png

but i say its temporary because i believe that setting being enabled is not working properly since it says it "transcodes if necessary". since its transcoding with that setting enabled, i dont understand why its necessary right now since my internet speed is more than enough and works perfectly with transcoding manually disabled. i would like for that setting to work properly when enabled though, and only transcode automatically when theres too many users streaming at the same time and causing my internet to slow down. also my cpu and gpu resources were not being overworked enough to cause transcoding either.

Edited by eeeeeesy

2 hours ago, eeeeeesy said:

no its not set to 40mbps manualyy. every quality setting is on "Auto". anyway i managed to find a temporary fix which was to disable transcoding per user in user settings..

image.png.abbfd9fbeaac013195cf42b0763a836f.png

but i say its temporary because i believe that setting being enabled is not working properly since it says it "transcodes if necessary". since its transcoding with that setting enabled, i dont understand why its necessary right now since my internet speed is more than enough and works perfectly with transcoding manually disabled. i would like for that setting to work properly when enabled though, and only transcode automatically when theres too many users streaming at the same time and causing my internet to slow down. also my cpu and gpu resources were not being overworked enough to cause transcoding either.

We have tools to help you learn why transcoding is occurring. Did you try pulling up the stats feature in the video player during playback?

eeeeeesy
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

We have tools to help you learn why transcoding is occurring. Did you try pulling up the stats feature in the video player during playback?

no i dont know how to do that

VirulentPip

I find Auto is quite bad, I can be on a 300Mbps wireless connection, and it will auto to 80Mbps causing high bitrate 4K to freeze up. I'd suggest manually changing to 1000Mbps (If an option for your client - just something very high) and see if your experience changes. 

Edited by VirulentPip
  • Like 1

eeeeeesy
16 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

I find Auto is quite bad, I can be on a 300Mbps wireless connection, and it will auto to 80Mbps causing high bitrate 4K to freeze up. I'd suggest manually changing to 1000Mbps (If an option for your client - just something very high) and see if your experience changes. 

i just noticed my rtx 3060 was maxing out running 1 4k hdr video. i ordered a rtx 3090ti today and it gets delivered tomorrow. ill see how it goes.

Edited by eeeeeesy
  • Confused 1

Happy2Play

Corresponding server and ffmpeg logs would provide more information.  But according to the image it is bitrate related per the returned client playbackinfo shown in logs.

eeeeeesy

i have turned off transcoding on my account a few days ago so you might see that in there. also, i said i was maxing out my graphics card running 4k because i use nvenc accelleration in etv

image.png.21d8d85eb166e95ff6b452cdc362ff45.png

so the hdr is causing my gpu to max out which is making the video freeze . im going to wait till later today when my new super duper gpu comes. but im still not sure why it transcodes when transcode when necessary is enabled.

image.thumb.png.416db9e208c45ed66d00f637bb84aabf.png

Edited by eeeeeesy

Happy2Play

Unless it is just Auto I would question why the client returns this.

&VideoBitrate=4630178&AudioBitrate=448000

8&TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

2022-11-13 18:17:07.615 Info App: User policy for Dave. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2022-11-13 18:17:07.615 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 6194308, max bitrate: 5078178
2022-11-13 18:17:07.615 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 6194308, max bitrate: 5078178
2022-11-13 18:17:07.615 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectPlay limit: media bitrate: 6194308, max bitrate: 5078178
2022-11-13 18:17:07.615 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 6194308, max bitrate: 5078178

5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Unless it is just Auto I would question why the client returns this.

Yep, that is from auto detection.  That would imply that there are bandwidth issues but you can always set a manual value in the app settings.

Disabling transcoding is a bad idea. It will surely lead to playback problems in the future that we will be troubleshooting.

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

so what should i do if it still transcodes? its not transcoding right now though with transcoding enabled.

If Auto is still transcoding, you would manually change the client's playback quality setting.

• Agree 1

eeeeeesy
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If Auto is still transcoding, you would manually change the client's playback quality setting.

i think i tried that before when it was transcoding but ill do it again. should i set it to 1000mbps?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, eeeeeesy said:

i think i tried that before when it was transcoding but ill do it again. should i set it to 1000mbps?

Don't know of any client with that option.  Should be something like this.

image.png.e37a2c7fa708866733876e180aa31c11.png

eeeeeesy

image.jpeg.dcf32be4e631f574eeb01aeb7a09e0e2.jpeg

its emby for android tv on regular android

32 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't know of any client with that option.  Should be something like this.

image.png.e37a2c7fa708866733876e180aa31c11.png

Happy2Play

@eeeeeesy Since the client offers it you can, then if there are issues it usually becomes a network or hardware issue.  But at a minimum it should be set to a higher value then your media as Auto will always be conservative as these appear to be Remote connections.

Edited by Happy2Play

1 hour ago, eeeeeesy said:

You should set it to what is appropriate for the connection, right?

eeeeeesy
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

You should set it to what is appropriate for the connection, right?

no because i set it to 1000mbps but the server says its only running at 78mbps and i only have a 300mbps connection and its not transcoding. nothing is making sense here.

Just now, eeeeeesy said:

no because i set it to 1000mbps but the server says its only running at 78mbps and i only have a 300mbps connection and its not transcoding. nothing is making sense here.

When you set the quality setting, you're setting your maximum based on what your connection handle. That doesn't mean you're actually going to get that. What you end up getting depends on the source file,  as well as any other server transcoding settings that might have an impact.

The server won't try to increase the bitrate from whatever it is in the source file, so I would keep that in mind as well.