No option to tag a folder in the metadata manager

hepalien

hepalien

I previously had Emby set to add a tag to all items in a folder. I recently had to reinstall Emby on my server, and now the option to add a tag to a folder no longer appears in the metadata manager.

Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 2.12.47 AM.png

hepalien

I had it set up to apply a metadata tag to all items in a library folder. What I'm trying to accomplish is that I have my Dad's Emby profile limited to only see things tagged "Dad" because otherwise he gets confused. I add shows that only he watches to the "Parents TV Shows" folder, but I also occasionally tag things in the main library with "dad" because I think he might like them too. Rather than having to tag every individual item in the Parents TV Shows folder, I had the folder tagged and it applied to all the contents. But I can no longer find that setting.

@hepalien why not just use user library access control? Then you don't have to fiddle with tags.

In user management click on a user, then click the Access tab at the top. Now you can control visibility just by clicking checkboxes. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

hepalien

Because I want to give access to all of one folder and only some items in another. There used to be an option to add a tag to a folder - was it removed? I previously had it set up like this and it worked well for my needs.

Because I want to give access to all of one folder

Then you can do this with the access features I mentioned, right?

only some items in another

Then shouldn't you be tagging those individual items instead?

hepalien

Was the setting I previously used removed? The folder tag applied to all items in that folder, and then I could add the tag to individual items in the other folder. I can't give access to all of one folder by clicking the checkbox and simultaneously give access only to tagged items in the other folder, unless I'm missing something.

What I'm saying is, use the normal library access control to control access to the top two levels - e.g. a library and the first level underneath that.

Then for individual items below those, then you'd use tags to restrict those out. Does that make sense?

5 minutes ago, hepalien said:

Has the ability to tag a folder been removed?

Generally, no, but at the top, yes, because that's where you should use library access. I can promise you that it will offer better performance than restricting by tags. Not to mention that it's just a matter of clicking checkboxes rather than fiddling with tags.

You can achieve everything you were doing before, so nothing has been taken away, I'm just asking you to go about doing it slightly differently. Can you try it?

hepalien

Use them to restrict rather than allow? But that would require a lot more individual tagging than the way I had it set up previously because I only want to allow a handful of things from the main folder, plus everything from the second folder. So I'd have to add a restrict tag to most of the items in the main folder.

plus everything from the second folder

This is where instead of tagging the second folder, you'd just grant them access to it in user library access.

I only want to allow a handful of things from the main folder

So then you'd also grant them access to this folder, then add tags to those handfuls of things, and then set the user tag restriction mode to only allow items with those tags.

What are the handful of things? Can you elaborate on those a bit more?

hepalien

But I'd also have to add the tag to all the items in the folder I want to give them access to everything in, if I set it to only allow items with the tag, wouldn't I? I can't give full access to one folder and tag access to another, can I?

As I explained earlier in the thread, I add shows that only my dad watches to the "Parents TV Shows" folder, but I also occasionally tag things in the main "TV Shows" folder with "dad" because I think he might like them too.

1 minute ago, hepalien said:

But I'd also have to add the tag to all the items in the folder I want to give them access to everything in, if I set it to only allow items with the tag, wouldn't I? I can't give full access to one folder and tag access to another, can I?

As I explained earlier in the thread, I add shows that only my dad watches to the "Parents TV Shows" folder, but I also occasionally tag things in the main "TV Shows" folder with "dad" because I think he might like them too.

But if you tag at the top, then how do you avoid those tags applying to things underneath that you don't want them to? There is no way to avoid that, right? So if you're tagging at the top, at that point it's the entire folder or nothing at all. Am I right?

hepalien

I tagged the Parent TV Shows folder with "dad" so he had access to everything. Then I added the tag "dad" to the, say, 5 shows in the TV Shows library that I thought he might like to watch. That way all of the shows that only he watches that are put in the Parent TV Shows folder are automatically visible to him without me having to tag them individually, and if I'm watching something from the TV Shows folder and think he might like it, I can just quickly add the tag to that one item.

Ah ok, I'm sorry about this. Now I understand what you're getting at. Yes it looks like tags will need to be added back here to the top level folders.

Happy2Play

It has only been hidden.

image.png.defa6cdb4046c4bcf1adffbaea8c382b.png

Temporary web client fix.

#tagsCollapsible {display: block !important;}