Naming movies

soboku

I must be doing something so wrong because every time I go to watch a movie emby has changed the title of the movie to something else other then what the real name of the movie is. My structure is say for action. Movies/Action/then the name of the movie.m4v. what am I doing wrong? say for this movie "Movie/Action/Absolute Power.m4v" but days later emby changes it to some other name witch is not the true movie. First why is emby changing my Library at all. When I add a movie it finds it and gets it right but later it changes it and gets it wrong all by its self and I didn't ask it to do that. So can someone tell me in kindergarten language how to set up my library because obviously I'm doing something wrong. Tried to upload a screen shot but emby site keeps giving me an server error so I won't be able to upload a pic of my library.

MacOS 13.0

So you're saying that I can't put movie files in their respective genres folders? Like all action movies under Movie/Action/

Example

Movie/Action/movie file name.M4v

Spaceboy

Complex Folder Structure

If you plan on having thousands of movies in your library you may want to add an additional folder to your hierarchy to aid in navigation. For example you could create folders for all movies starting with the first letter or number such as:

\Movies\A\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009).mkv
\Movies\P\Pulp Fiction (1994)\Pulp Fiction (1994).mp4
\Movies\R\Reservoir Dogs (1992)\Reservoir Dogs (1992).mp4
\Movies\T\The Usual Suspects (1995)\The Usual Suspects (1995).mkv
\Movies\T\Top Gun (1986)\Top Gun (1986).mp4

way to complicated for me. It just makes since to put all action movies under a folder called "Action" and all comedies under "Comedy" so on. If Emby is not able to do this that a thing the programmers should fix. However if its not able to do that then your saying put all movies that start with A under "movies\A\name of move.m4v. and so on and maybe add the date for the move in the file name is that right? like your sample above.

\Movies\A\Avatar (2009)\Avatar.mp4

Happy2Play

I don't know of many movies that fall under one genre, so it never made sense to me to organize that way.  Metadata will provide views by Genre.

But yes you can dump all your files into a folder and Emby will use filename to identify instead of foldername.

• Agree 1

Thank you both for your inputs I have a lot of work ahead of me. Lol. I have over a 100 movies to rename and more so with TV series. I'm not looking forward in this. But it's got to be done because how I have it now isn't working. Emby keeps renaming my media to movies that are incorrect. Again thank you both.

but days later emby changes it to some other name witch is not the true movie. First why is emby changing my Library at all. 

Why exactly do you think Emby changes it? Can you please provide the emby server log from when it happened? Thanks.

Because when I put a new movie on the drive emby see it and it names it right. However a week or so when I go to watch it its has changed from what it's supposed to be to something its not. Example, star wars.Mp4 when I put it in the drive. Next time I look at it it then has a name of Movies/Sifi/star man.mp4. so why is it doing that. Its driving me nuts. Now I don't have Star wars. I'm just giving you an example. Tell me where the log file is at and I'd be happy to upload it. I'll also at that time tell you a few of the movies that it changed. I did try to exit Emby server and start plex server but plex server does the same thing. So if you see plex nfo files in the logs Don't worry about it because they weren't there when Emby was doing this. They're just there because of me switching to Plex the other day.

38 minutes ago, soboku said:

Because when I put a new movie on the drive emby see it and it names it right. However a week or so when I go to watch it its has changed from what it's supposed to be to something its not. Example, star wars.Mp4 when I put it in the drive. Next time I look at it it then has a name of Movies/Sifi/star man.mp4. so why is it doing that. Its driving me nuts. Now I don't have Star wars. I'm just giving you an example. Tell me where the log file is at and I'd be happy to upload it. I'll also at that time tell you a few of the movies that it changed. I did try to exit Emby server and start plex server but plex server does the same thing. So if you see plex nfo files in the logs Don't worry about it because they weren't there when Emby was doing this. They're just there because of me switching to Plex the other day.

Are you saying the actual media file was renamed, or just the display name in Emby Server?

Happy2Play
Just now, soboku said:

Just the movie name in the server. The actual file name stays the same.

So you are saying the item is wrongly identified as something else?

But I am still confused as items don't change once identified.  Unless you are changing media forcing it to be reidentified.

But a real example with logs would provide more information.

Where would I go to get the logs. Yes that's what I'm saying the items is wrongly identified as something else? Now All the setting in Emby are default settings that I no of.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, soboku said:

Where would I go to get the logs. Yes that's what I'm saying the items is wrongly identified as something else? Now All the setting in Emby are default settings that I no of.

Dashboard-three dot menu-Show server info will tell you the path or App settings-Logs to view or download.

But for misidentification we need specific examples with the server log to see the actual provider queries.

24 minutes ago, soboku said:

Ok i will get all of that to you tomorrow afternoon if that's ok. Thanks

Yes that would be great, thanks.

Jeepers Creepers 2001
To
Jeepers Creepers Rebone

Alien3 1992
To

Beyond the Lost World: The Alien Conspiracy III

and so much more. I change this back to what it should be but again a few days later emby changes it back to what it isn't.

cant attached log files keep getting "Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file. (Error code: -200)" @Abobader

3 minutes ago, soboku said:

Jeepers Creepers 2001
To
Jeepers Creepers Rebone

Alien3 1992
To

Beyond the Lost World: The Alien Conspiracy III

and so much more. I change this back to what it should be but again a few days later emby changes it back to what it isn't.

cant attached log files keep getting "Sorry, an unknown server error occurred when uploading this file. (Error code: -200)"

What are the exact folder and file names for these examples?

/Movie/Sifi/Alien3.m4v

/Movie/Horror/Jeepers Creepers.m4v

Again not able to upload the log files. Something's wrong with embys website. Keep getting errors.

Happy2Play
On 11/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, soboku said:

sorry sifi missed spelled it is /movie/SyFi/Alien3.m4v @Happy2Play

There is no reference to that movie or path in any log.

Can you go over a specific example to include the server log for that example.

I also don't see references to it or the other examples mentioned. Maybe those are ones that happened in the past? Try using the Identify feature to manually correct those, then see if it happens again with a new title. If it does, then please capture the emby server log. Thanks !