Music Artists Not Sorting Alphabetically

smwall

Hey team,

I've got a new issue that's popped up for me and I can't figure out how to get it to show correctly. 

When going into my music library, it's sorting most but not all the artists alphabetically.

I added a screenshot so you can see what I'm referring to.  50 Cent, then The Weeknd, then Akon when The Weeknd shouldn't  show up until I get into the Ws.

I appreciate any tips or advice that can be given.

musiclibrary.jpg

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, did you try using the metadata editor on the Weekend to see what the sort title is set to?

I did... it was set for Weeknd.  I was hoping maybe something was off with the sorting, but everything is as it normally appears.

I'm going down this route of thinking though, and currently have removed everybody from my music library and I'm importing them in one artist at a time to see if where it goes off the tracks.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

Do any of the surrounding artists have odd sort titles defined?

So I checked the sort title and it all looks good.  I'm in the process right now of taking all the files out, and adding them back in one at a time.  I should have something to report here in a bit, that way I can see where the issue is originating at and so on.

3 minutes ago, smwall said:

So I checked the sort title and it all looks good.  I'm in the process right now of taking all the files out, and adding them back in one at a time.  I should have something to report here in a bit, that way I can see where the issue is originating at and so on.

So with just Carrie Underwood and the X-Files soundtrack I had ripped last week, it's showing up in order like it should.  This may just be an issue with one CD I ripped incorrectly, I'm still working on it to get it narrowed down.  If it doesn't replicate by the time I get 30-35 cds imported, I'll close this as being operator issue.  So weird though.

So I got the issue to replicate....  starting off, I added Carrie Underwood and then the CD Songs In The Key Of X.  That's where I was up above when I posted, and it looks like the attachment here.

startingoff.jpg

After I did that update, I added the following 3 artists, rips all done by me off CDs I have bought (nothing downloaded online in other words).

Evanescence
Five Finger Death Punch
Helloween

Once I imported these 3, Alice Cooper then gets reorg'd to where he shows up very last when before, he had shown up first.

Not sure what I need to provide from my side, I did a screenshot of the metadata for Alice Cooper just in case.

imported3cds.jpg

alicecooper.jpg

So one thing I just found, I went and re-edited the Sort Title... basically re-typed the same thing that was already there, but once I did that, it actually put it in the correct order.  Going to try that with the other albums now, but wondering if maybe  Mp3Tag or some of the other programs are inserting junk into the field that isn't being picked up. 

Will update shortly on whether that fixes all the other artists.

So the original issue got fixed but what happens now is that I get some artists showing multiple times, even though the name is exactly the same.

So if you see my attachment, once I got Kanye's first CD added back, Common shows up 3 times. 

Going to use the forum link here to see about getting that fixed :Artist shows multiple times in music library

I'm a lot further than I was before on this though, so things are looking positive. :)

3rdgoround.jpg

So all in all, the original issue has been fixed.  Something is up with the CDs I ripped myself as far as the tagging goes, but I can fix that on my own.  Appreciate how great Emby is for all our media.  Thank you!!

Do you still have artists showing mulitple times? If you use the metadata editor on each of the common artists, do they have any external ids set? If so, do they match, or are they different?

• 11 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 11:24 PM, Luke said:

Do you still have artists showing mulitple times? If you use the metadata editor on each of the common artists, do they have any external ids set? If so, do they match, or are they different?

So I think I found the issue for the most part..... what was going on is that a lot of release groups were adding in a third Album Artist tag so that you could have it set correctly by Mp3tag or Picard Musicbrainz and that one tag would be there.

So you'd have :
Album Artist
AlbumArtist
albumartist

And each would show random stuff.  So as long as ALL the album artist tags are set, this issue shouldn't come up.  Those hidden tags will get you everytime. :)

• Thanks 1