sync'd conversion files are not deleted with original

justinrh

justinrh

I have the Folder Sync plugin configured for a folder on my server.  I had a recorded movie in my library, and used "Download to" on it to create converted copy.  So then I had the original in the library folder and the sync'd conversion in a diff folder.  The movie then showed both versions available for playback.

I deleted the movie using the web app interface (item menu in "Latest Movies").  The video in the library was deleted but the sync'd video did not delete.  Now I have an orphaned video taking up disk space.  Emby made the video relation for the one movie item, but it didn't honor the relation upon delete.

I consider this a bug.  Does Emby consider it a bug?

embyserver.txt

This is by design. The server can't predict whether you want it deleted or not, so until such time when we update the delete dialog to ask you, I think we've got the right default.

justinrh

Okay.  I differ with your logic.  If all the files were joined to the one item via the typical mechanism (like the naming convention), then all the files would be deleted.  This is no different, logically; the only diff is file location.  Sync is just a diff way to create conversions and conveniently segregate the conversions at the same time.  If there is more to it than that (for the posed scenario), please excuse my ignorance.

As it is, I could have a bunch of disk space consumed with orphaned files that I didn't know were orphaned.

Instead of complicating the delete process, consider just deleting all related files (regardless of storage location), which would be user expectation, I believe.  Keep it simple and just add the file to the delete confirmation dlg like with the original files.

In any event, I look forward to a solution.  I'm sure Emby will make a good decision.

Gilgamesh_48
22 hours ago, justinrh said:

I have the Folder Sync plugin configured for a folder on my server.  I had a recorded movie in my library, and used "Download to" on it to create converted copy.  So then I had the original in the library folder and the sync'd conversion in a diff folder.  The movie then showed both versions available for playback.

I deleted the movie using the web app interface (item menu in "Latest Movies").  The video in the library was deleted but the sync'd video did not delete.  Now I have an orphaned video taking up disk space.  Emby made the video relation for the one movie item, but it didn't honor the relation upon delete.

I consider this a bug.  Does Emby consider it a bug?

embyserver.txt 72.88 kB · 0 downloads

There was, during the beta process and even after, a LOT of discussion about the correct behavior of a "converted" file deletion and what should become of the files(I think "sync" and "convert" are related), converted or unconverted or synced, if the other file gets deleted. It was decided, by a pretty thin majority, that if the original is deleted then and "converted" files should get deleted too but "synced" files should not get touched.
I think that was the final decision but I could be wrong as, for me, the debate became pretty trivial and meaningless after a pretty short time.

I decided that I would not use Emby's "sync" feature at all because there are situations, for me, where either behavior would be best for me. I would only need it for keeping two servers in sync but I find Trakt better for me for that purpose. I use DrivePool for redundancy.
I do use "convert" but I always choose the "replace" option. I have not found a way to make "replace" the default choice so I have to be careful and choose it explicitly. I do NOT consider that a bug but I do wish the choice between "replace" and "beside" was a choice that could be made to stick.

Except as mentioned before I have no dog in this fight but I do think that it would be good to have the various choices of the "convert" and the "sync" features configurable.

I understand that giving "choice" can increase complications for developers but this is a case where at least the last choice should stick.

It is possible that "sync" and "convert" are completely separate functions but I think they are related.

justinrh
45 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

It is possible that "sync" and "convert" are completely separate functions but I think they are related.

In the case of using the Folder Sync plugin, these functions are combined (though conversion is optional).  A new file is created and stored in a fixed location.  It is like a modified Conversion function.