Recently Aired Episode Refresh

TeamB

TeamB

The Problem
I have a reasonably aggressive automation system that can process new episodes relatively quickly. This means they can end up in Emby sometimes within 10 minuets or so of them airing.

What this means is you are usually stuck with the metadata that was available at the initial import time, sometimes missing titles, ratings, overviews.

Yes there is an refresh every 30 days option in the library but that was not fast enough for me and I did not want to refresh the 10K plus episodes I have in my lib, just the recently aired ones.

The Solution
Refresh the newly aired episodes, say in the last 7 days, nightly.

That is what this plugin aims to do.

Source here:
https://github.com/faush01/EpMetaRefresh

The plugin is now in the Emby Server Plugin Catalogue under the Metadata area.

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

sydlexius

This seems like it would be especially handy in the ratings department, as that is bound to shift a bit from first import! Thanks @TeamB

rbjtech

Sounds perfect - this should get around the constant TVDB API issues where they 'TBA' everything in sight 'to be the first' ...

I'll give it a test tomorrow - thanks !

TeamB
10 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Sounds perfect - this should get around the constant TVDB API issues where they 'TBA' everything in sight 'to be the first' ...

I'll give it a test tomorrow - thanks !

yes, that and updating the ratings for X days after release so when you go to watch it it has a title and usable ratings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
1 minute ago, TeamB said:

yes, that and updating the ratings for X days after release so when you go to watch it it has a title and usable ratings.

Installed - looking very nice with a list of what it's going to refresh.

Simple but effective - I like it :)

fillidill

Is it possible to make it also refresh on a Show level (with Search for missing metadata selected and replace media unchecked). I have a problem where new episodes show up in Continue Watching but not in the season view. It seems to happen with only some shows like Andor. 

nuentes

I just installed this today, and I must be missing something. I don't see the extension anywhere. I checked my log, and the only 2 lines containing "EpMediaRefresh" are:

2022-10-26 09:25:13.070 Info App: Copying plugin from /opt/emby-server/system/plugins/EpMetaRefresh.dll to /var/lib/emby/plugins/EpMetaRefresh.dll
2022-10-26 09:25:13.145 Info App: Loading EpMetaRefresh, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/EpMetaRefresh.dll

How do I know this is working?

TeamB
7 hours ago, fillidill said:

Is it possible to make it also refresh on a Show level (with Search for missing metadata selected and replace media unchecked). I have a problem where new episodes show up in Continue Watching but not in the season view. It seems to happen with only some shows like Andor. 

that does not sound like a metadata issue, sounds like an import issue. if this is an ongoing issue and refreshing an episode does not fix it then you should post on general server forum and report this as it sounds like a bug in emby.

TeamB
6 hours ago, nuentes said:

I just installed this today, and I must be missing something. I don't see the extension anywhere. I checked my log, and the only 2 lines containing "EpMediaRefresh" are:

2022-10-26 09:25:13.070 Info App: Copying plugin from /opt/emby-server/system/plugins/EpMetaRefresh.dll to /var/lib/emby/plugins/EpMetaRefresh.dll
2022-10-26 09:25:13.145 Info App: Loading EpMetaRefresh, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from /var/lib/emby/plugins/EpMetaRefresh.dll

How do I know this is working?

it should show up in your plugins when you view them in the emby dashboard,  you should see "Episode Refresh" in the menu on the left when you view the the emby dashboard and you should also see a new scheduled task named "Episode Refresh"

Edited by TeamB

nuentes
18 hours ago, TeamB said:

it should show up in your plugins when you view them in the emby dashboard,  you should see "Episode Refresh" in the menu on the left when you view the the emby dashboard and you should also see a new scheduled task named "Episode Refresh"

Weird, it's definitely not showing in my plugins, anywhere in my dashboard, and I don't have the scheduled task appearing. I'm running 4.7.5.0 on Ubuntu. What information can I give you to help troubleshoot? Here is my most recent log.

TeamB

@nuentes

it probably this

2022-10-27 11:19:25.860 Error App: LoaderException: Could not load file or assembly 'MediaBrowser.Common, Version=4.7.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'. The system cannot find the file specified.

you are running 4.7.4.0 and i am using the latest 4.7.7.0 mediabrowser.server.core package

https://github.com/faush01/EpMetaRefresh/blob/df80377c3356e9a7980c3abc28080ee0e8dc38cf/EpMetaRefresh/EpMetaRefresh.csproj#L18

i can probably down grade the package to an earlier version to get it working for you but how far back should i go, there will always be someone on an older version 🙂

any reason you not running the latest stable version?

I'll play around with this and report back.

As a supporter of automation - I'm quite interested in that aspect of your set up. Feel free to send over some details of that, if comfortable!

nuentes

I finally updated Emby, and can now see the plugin. I run on Linux, so Emby doesn't auto-update a lot of times, and re-downloading and running dpkg just isn't a thing I get thrilled about.

Anyway, One of my Libraries is just STRM files. Would it be possible to limit your app to only run on certain libraries? It might be unnecessary, as the STRM files simply won't update. But I just love efficiency.

TeamB
4 hours ago, nuentes said:

It might be unnecessary, as the STRM files simply won't update.

why wont the strm file update? regardless of what type of file the episode points to this plugin updates the metadata by calling the reload metadata action on the episode, this will query the external metadata providers for the latest info like title, rating, description, images etc. it does not care what media file the episode points at.

nuentes
16 hours ago, TeamB said:

why wont the strm file update? regardless of what type of file the episode points to this plugin updates the metadata by calling the reload metadata action on the episode, this will query the external metadata providers for the latest info like title, rating, description, images etc. it does not care what media file the episode points at.

Yeah, poorly explained on my part. The more relevent thing is that these are STRM files with NFO metadata. They are created by an external script I wrote that pulls images, metadata, etc from Youtube. So they won't update because the metadata is just a dumb NFO file, with no external metadata provider usage.

TeamB
7 hours ago, nuentes said:

Yeah, poorly explained on my part. The more relevent thing is that these are STRM files with NFO metadata. They are created by an external script I wrote that pulls images, metadata, etc from Youtube. So they won't update because the metadata is just a dumb NFO file, with no external metadata provider usage.

can i ask what shows/episodes you have in this strm setup? pm me if you dont want to discuss here.

nuentes

I made a script that builds NFO and STRM files for YouTube channels and playlists. All perfectly legal. It allows me to watch my favorite YouTube channels as TV shows.

TeamB

do these have premier dates in your metadata? this is what the plugin uses to work out recently aired episodes.

nuentes
15 minutes ago, TeamB said:

do these have premier dates in your metadata? this is what the plugin uses to work out recently aired episodes.

Here's an example NFO file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<episodedetails>
  <plot><![CDATA[Thank you to Amazon Fresh for sponsoring this video! Find an Amazon Fresh store near you: https://www.amazon.com/find-your-store This is better than the one in the Avengers. Baklava: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJe1cEr1Ts ]]></plot>
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2022-11-02 10:47:27</dateadded>
  <title>The Perfect Shawarma Meal Completely From Scratch</title>
  <year>2022</year>
  <sorttitle>Perfect Shawarma Meal Completely From Scratch</sorttitle>
  <studio>youtube</studio>
  <episode>1102</episode>
  <season>2022</season>
  <aired>2022-11-02</aired>
  <fileinfo>
    <streamdetails />
  </fileinfo>
</episodedetails>

TeamB

I think in this case the episodes would be refreshed and just have their nfo re scanned and read in, no big deal really as that should be a low cost local action.

Do these episodes have external Ids in emby at all?

image.png.1430cb000d565b15358825392090311f.png

one option is to not include episodes that dont have external metadata ids as this would be pointless in most cases to refresh them.

nuentes
40 minutes ago, TeamB said:

I think in this case the episodes would be refreshed and just have their nfo re scanned and read in, no big deal really as that should be a low cost local action.

Do these episodes have external Ids in emby at all?

image.png.1430cb000d565b15358825392090311f.png

one option is to not include episodes that dont have external metadata ids as this would be pointless in most cases to refresh them.

Nope, no external IDs. That's a pretty good idea, honestly.