Automatically Playing Next Episode Regardless Of Setting

HouseOfCards

HouseOfCards

The latest update of the Apple TV app caused the next TV episode to play automatically, even though the setting to enable that is disabled.  I've toggled the setting, rebooted, etc...  Still happens.  Any idea if this is a known issue?

• Agree 1

HI, it is a known issue temporarily until we build the feature in the Apple TV app to not auto-advance to the next episode. Thanks for reporting.

HouseOfCards
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, it is a known issue temporarily until we build the feature in the Apple TV app to not auto-advance to the next episode. Thanks for reporting.

Okay, thanks.  Next version hopefully?  It worked fine before, but now the playback never stops.  Fall asleep, wake up two seasons later.  LOL

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
FamilyBailey

I am puzzled by this - it never used to play the next episode - why has it started doing this?  It really needs to be fixed soon - it has been going on for a month or so now.

• Agree 1

HouseOfCards
1 minute ago, FamilyBailey said:

I am puzzled by this - it never used to play the next episode - why has it started doing this?  It really needs to be fixed soon - it has been going on for a month or so now.

I agree.  It makes the Emby application practically unusable.  Those who tend to fall asleep while watching something will wake up to find numerous episodes played while they were sleeping, with no idea where they left off.  It used to work, so it shouldn't require much to undo what broke it.

• Like 1

FamilyBailey

It seems nobody from Emby is interested in this bug.   As a paying member of the Emby community I, at least, expected a response. 

Edited by FamilyBailey

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, FamilyBailey said:

It seems nobody from Emby is interested in this bug. 

They are working on a new version of the player. There is a lot of work, I suppose that at some point they will fix it. The list of TODOs is long.

1 hour ago, FamilyBailey said:

It seems nobody from Emby is interested in this bug.   As a paying member of the Emby community I, at least, expected a response. 

HI, apologies for the disruption. We are looking into it. Thanks.

• Like 1

HouseOfCards

I get the frustration.  It certainly is a particularly annoying bug.  We appreciate the work that goes into this stuff, no doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
hstamas
On 10/24/2022 at 9:00 PM, WORMUTHS said:

The latest update of the Apple TV app caused the next TV episode to play automatically, even though the setting to enable that is disabled.  I've toggled the setting, rebooted, etc...  Still happens.  Any idea if this is a known issue?

This happens on the latest beta as well. 

HouseOfCards
6 hours ago, hstamas said:

This happens on the latest beta as well. 

Wonderful...  This is one of those that really breaks the experience.  You need to remember to stop playback for everything you play.  It needs a higher priority given to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Archigos

Throwing my hat in the ring... It's STILL auto-playing episode regardless of the setting.  At first I thought it was because I'm using the TestFlight version on AppleTV, but seems to be everybody.

HouseOfCards
7 minutes ago, Archigos said:

Throwing my hat in the ring... It's STILL auto-playing episode regardless of the setting.  At first I thought it was because I'm using the TestFlight version on AppleTV, but seems to be everybody.

Yeah, this is a particularly annoying issue since it WAS working.  I expect that new features have issues, or take a long time to get implemented... but I don't expect something that was working fine to break and be given a "we'll get to it" response.  The reason that response is so frustrating is that the entire purpose of a media server is to play media.  This breaks that function.  It's like ignoring that pausing a movie doesn't work, and saying "we'll see what we can do".

I'd like the same urgency given to this as would be given if the billing system went down.

• 3 weeks later...
HouseOfCards
On 11/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, Luke said:

HI, apologies for the disruption. We are looking into it. Thanks.

Any ideas when we might expect this to stop?

• 3 weeks later...
HouseOfCards

I'm happy to report it's working now, and presenting a "Keep Watching" or "Next Episode" option towards the end, much like the "Skip Intro" dialog... 

Thanks folks!

Steven

• Thanks 1

Archigos

It does now ask if you want to play the next episode, however, if you press OK to play the next, it goes to a white screen and the audio plays without video. You have to back out to the main screen, then go back to the show because clicking the episode in "Up Next" does nothing.

hstamas

Not working for me at all. Still playing the next episode regardless of setting and the pop up screen appears briefly then goes away leaving no time to interact with it. 

HouseOfCards

I have to say, I went back to forcing the native player on my Apple TVs because I would randomly get those blank scree or not playing issues.  Forcing the built in player stopped all those problems.

• Thanks 1

Archigos

Forcing the Native player fixed it so that it does play the next episode correctly, but I'd prefer it to auto back out to the list when I have 'play next' turned off.

• Agree 1

HouseOfCards

I agree it's a little quirky that it just shows the wallpaper if you turn off play next, but it's progress.  It no longer plays endlessly which is huge.  I can also see future development allowing other things to be done with that screen, like showing suggestions, etc...  Right now it's blank, but that doesn't mean it will always be.  The native player is a necessity I've found.  There are just too many bugs right now without it. 

It's a step in the right direction...  👍

2 hours ago, SWORMUTH said:

I agree it's a little quirky that it just shows the wallpaper if you turn off play next, but it's progress.  It no longer plays endlessly which is huge.  I can also see future development allowing other things to be done with that screen, like showing suggestions, etc...  Right now it's blank, but that doesn't mean it will always be.  The native player is a necessity I've found.  There are just too many bugs right now without it. 

It's a step in the right direction...  👍

We can definitely soup it up a bit with the series logo, name of the next episode, etc.

• Thanks 1