Client and server on the same device?

Tsch3ns

Tsch3ns

Hello,

I am currently running my server on a Synology 918+, one of the clients is the Nvidia Shield TV pro.

To have a mobile "cinema" for travels, it would be nice to install Emby Server on the Nvidia Shield and connect an external Harddisk to it where the movies are located.

Is it possible to have both server AND client installed on Nvidia Shield at the same time?

Thanks for your help,

Tsch3ns

Tsch3ns

Thanks for your reply. I just learned that even if I install Emby Server on the Nvidia Shield TV I have to install the client in order to watch my movies. Therefore, it is even a "must" to install both if got it right.

@ebr Is the reason why to ensure that direct play is possible the fact that Nvidia Shield has poor trancoding performance?

3 hours ago, Tsch3ns said:

Therefore, it is even a "must" to install both if got it right.

Correct,  you need both a server and an app.

3 hours ago, Tsch3ns said:

Is the reason why to ensure that direct play is possible the fact that Nvidia Shield has poor trancoding performance?

Not necessarily per se but, what you are trying to do would have the server reading the media and then passing it to the app which is a lot of I/O on the same device - then to add to that the additional load of transcoding - which also includes more writes and reads just probably becomes more than the device is really designed to handle.  You can try - some light transcoding may be okay but, if you are setting this up as a mobile device, then you should probably just get the media into a direct-playable format (which is most things on the Shield).

• Thanks 1