Emby app on 1 0f 2 Chromecast with Google TV fails to start

tomhe

I couldn't find a Chromecast section, so please move this or send a link so I can get it into the right category.  

I have two Chromecast with Google TV dongles. My office TV suddenly developed an issue where it simply fails to start the Emby app. I just see a blank screen for a few minutes until a time out and get returned to home.

• The two Chromecasts are in the same house, with mostly the same apps, on the same Wi-Fi node, attached to the same Emby server. Other apps work on the Chromecast with the Emby problem.

• The server works for web, the other Chromecast, and Android

• Emby server v 4.5.4.0 on PC.

• Android TV OS 12 Build STTE.220621.019.A2.9082754 <<-- Possible update causing the problem?

• The Win10 server PC needed a reboot for updates, but that didn't change anything.

• The Emby dashboard has the warning that "Please restart the server to finish applying updates." After several reboots, Pending Installations finally shows MBServer 4.7.8.0 was installed, but the restart warning is still there.

For troubleshooting, I've tried:

• Restarting Chromecast from the menu

• Restarting the Emby server software

• Removing Power from the Chromecast, waiting a few minutes, and power back up

• Clearing cache for the Emby app, restarting Chromecast

• Clearing data for the Emby app, restarting Chromecast

• uninstalling and reinstalling the Emby app on Chromecast

• uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling the Emby app on Chromecast

• Restarting Emby server software to get an update MBServer 4.7.8.0 installed.

• Win10 emby server needed a reboot for Windows Updates.

Nothing has changed. Every time, it's a dark screen that doesn't react to the back button. (Home, Netflix, and YouTube buttons do work.) Web searches have turned up nothing helpful.  It appears to be a problem with just the one Chromecast, possibly the update to OS 12?

hi @tomhe what I would suggest is to try shutting down Emby Server, then install the latest version from the website on top of your existing version. Then see if that gets you up to version 4.7.8.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

I've published an update to our Chromecast receiver to resolve the issue with that, so for those of you trying to cast from a mobile device using Chromecast, that should be resolved now.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:13 PM, Luke said:

hi @tomhe what I would suggest is to try shutting down Emby Server, then install the latest version from the website on top of your existing version. Then see if that gets you up to version 4.7.8.

I'm not sure, but I think it updated after I powered down & restarted (not reset) the Google unit.  The dashboard is a bit confusing.  On the one hand, it still has the "Please restart the server to finish applying updates.", but on the other, it also says "The following components have been installed or updated: MBServer (4.7.8.0)"  Which do I believe?

9 minutes ago, tomhe said:

I'm not sure, but I think it updated after I powered down & restarted (not reset) the Google unit.  The dashboard is a bit confusing.  On the one hand, it still has the "Please restart the server to finish applying updates.", but on the other, it also says "The following components have been installed or updated: MBServer (4.7.8.0)"  Which do I believe?

Both? It installed something, and it says you need to restart to finish applying the update.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, Luke said:

Both? It installed something, and it says you need to restart to finish applying the update.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  In the process of installing the update manually, I screwed the pooch by forgetting I had done the portable install on the external drive instead of the usual install exe.  I couldn't figure out why it was rebuilding the database, losing changes, and simply missing folders completely.  After chasing my tail and finally realizing my mistake, I uninstalled the "wrong" installation, downloaded the portable one, and did a manual install.

This fixed the problem with the updated Google dongle!  Thanks much for your help!

• Thanks 1