Allow add to collection from Google TV app

tOLJY

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea when that might be? I have noted that when I look at Emby on the Chromecast with Google Tv it has Android TV in the logo.l, so I suppose that is indeed a different build than what is on my phone.

So I did it, works pretty good. Although it looks like the UI might need a bit of work to look as good as the android tv version.

5 hours ago, tOLJY said:

So I did it, works pretty good. Although it looks like the UI might need a bit of work to look as good as the android tv version.

Hi, why exactly do you think it needs work?

I've looked at it a bit more now and there's actually way less than I thought.

Some things that come to mind are just different, not necessarily bad, so probably nothing needs to be done about them at all 

- the profile login page has the icons much larger than android tv.

- I really like how on android tv the selected episode/movie has a green border, would be nice to keep. The selected items seem a bit too close together when viewed on a tv too.

- maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but the ability to hide media info would be good. I think this is present on android tv ATM?

- are seasonal themes supported? They were nice

Apart from that, nothing really I can think of. It's probably just getting used to something slightly different, which is fine.

Is there an estimate on when the standard version may make it's way to android tv in the playstore? Since I've sideloaded it I am now acutely away I will not get updates.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, tOLJY said:

Some of the available buttons in the media playing view are different too

HI, what buttons do you mean?

Actually, nevermind. Compared the two, aside from looking a little different, having press down for info rather than there being a button on the right.

Just the other things I mentioned then, green highliting, media info, and maybe it seems a little clunkier and not as smooth?

8 hours ago, tOLJY said:

Actually, nevermind. Compared the two, aside from looking a little different, having press down for info rather than there being a button on the right.

Just the other things I mentioned then, green highliting, media info, and maybe it seems a little clunkier and not as smooth?

Why do you say clunky?

Exactly that, transitions aren't super smooth (at least compared to the android tv version, remember I'm comparing one to the other), pressing up and down and going to different menus takes .1 seconds longer than expected, button clicks take a little too long to respond - are there any more optimisations for tv mode? I have also noticed when looking on my PC that in tv mode everything is just way too big - can this be reduced at all?

By big, I'm specifically referring not to the icons/posters, but rather the headings and spacing between objects. It's like the zoom is set to 125% by default. I use the my media (small) widget and that sizing looks great.

Additionally, back to the original topic, I've realised I've lost the ability to add to collections. Something the android tv app doesn't let you do is manage the server from the tv so given the standard app does, I've disabled admin for all my users and created an admin user. Since then I noticed my normal users cannot add to collections from the tv. Should this functionality by tied to a management function? I would hope not. I've added the manage permission back to one user and seen that the add to collections option comes back. 

Finally, sorry for the long words and many issues I've pointed out. There is obviously a reason the standard app is not the default for TVs and am sure you guys are working hard on getting it to where it needs to be. Nice for you guys to hear some kind words after some of the responses I've seen in other tickets

Should this functionality by tied to a management function? 

It is tied to the ability to edit metadata, which currently requires admin. But we do plan to separate that permission in future updates. Thanks.

I have also noticed when looking on my PC that in tv mode everything is just way too big

What exactly do you think is too big?

2 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly do you think is too big?

not the icons/posters, but rather the headings and spacing between objects. It's like the zoom is set to 125% by default. I use the my media (small) widget and that sizing/spacing looks great.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, tOLJY said:

I have also noticed when looking on my PC that in tv mode everything is just way too big

So you are putting your web app in TV mode?

I have sideloaded the standard app on my Google tv with Chromecast and my observations are coming from there. 

Separately I noticed that device mode was a thing on the web version and set it to TV, and confirmed things look mostly the same there.

22 hours ago, tOLJY said:

not the icons/posters, but rather the headings and spacing between objects. It's like the zoom is set to 125% by default. I use the my media (small) widget and that sizing/spacing looks great.

It's designed to be bigger in TV mode. Are you sitting right in front of it on the PC? 

Well yeah I am for the PC, but looking at the TV from from about 3 metered away (10 feet)

Would a side by side of Emby for android Tv and the standard app help explain what I'm trying to say? It's not necessarily the size of the items themselves but the relative sizing and smaller margins between objects.

2 minutes ago, tOLJY said:

Well yeah I am for the PC, but looking at the TV from from about 3 metered away (10 feet)

Would a side by side of Emby for android Tv and the standard app help explain what I'm trying to say? It's not necessarily the size of the items themselves but the relative sizing and smaller margins between objects.

Google tv

PXL_20221101_211842323.thumb.jpg.56585dd9b81004d6bf61ba53dc103aea.jpg

Vs

Emby standard 

PXL_20221101_211942539.thumb.jpg.e34e7737e147facd2f1d84ba874caf2e.jpg

It's bigger on the standard - but this is fine. 

Google tv

PXL_20221101_211912293.thumb.jpg.fb2fc65b3bbd19b60b768f6a62d68a87.jpg

Vs

Emby standard 

PXL_20221101_211954699.thumb.jpg.88d8d684655995e6dbb56f2b73c5895f.jpg

So here by bigger I mean actually that the icons are bigger yes, but the spacing between the elements is smaller, like it's been zoomed in. The headings are probably just a little too big too. And the green highliting was really helpful for identifying which item is selected. Otherwise it's kind of hard to tell.

3 minutes ago, tOLJY said:

Google tv

PXL_20221101_211842323.thumb.jpg.56585dd9b81004d6bf61ba53dc103aea.jpg

Vs

Emby standard 

PXL_20221101_211942539.thumb.jpg.e34e7737e147facd2f1d84ba874caf2e.jpg

It's bigger on the standard - but this is fine. 

Google tv

PXL_20221101_211912293.thumb.jpg.fb2fc65b3bbd19b60b768f6a62d68a87.jpg

Vs

Emby standard 

PXL_20221101_211954699.thumb.jpg.88d8d684655995e6dbb56f2b73c5895f.jpg

So here by bigger I mean actually that the icons are bigger yes, but the spacing between the elements is smaller, like it's been zoomed in. The headings are probably just a little too big too. And the green highliting was really helpful for identifying which item is selected. Otherwise it's kind of hard to tell.

Hi, what spacing are you saying is smaller?

1 hour ago, tOLJY said:

Doesn't the spacing between the two episode posters look different?

Not significantly, no? Does it look that different to you?