Gauging Interest in an Extras management/enhancement plugin

roaku

I've started preliminary work on another plugin to solve one of *my* problems, and I'd like to get some feedback from Emby land to see if any one else is interested.

I have a lot of movie extras and more every day. I also like all my media to have decent looking art. I'm lazy on top of that.

So, to avoid having to manually create art for every Extra I add,  I've been playing around with a plugin that would generate Extra art on the fly, using art from the parent movie as a background, while overlaying the type and title.

It would be configurable and look something like this:

movie-view.thumb.jpg.7de3971e60ee5c7924001c05a1e05f6c.jpg

I'm also thinking about a task for sorting the extras by user preferred type.

So, would this be useful to anyone else (more work, better plugin) or should I just build it for me (bare minimum, ugly plugin)?

• Like 6

Still a very long way to go, but the basic proof of concept is functional.

Refreshing metadata on an extra (or its ancestor(s)) triggers the generation of a new image made up of a parent image with the extra's folder and name overlaid. This image is not a mockup:

demo-extras.jpg.1fcf28875494896c9ddaf7e575878565.jpg

I'm currently calculating the text size based on the length of the text to make sure it fits, but I'm going to spend some time figuring out word wrap behavior because I imagine that will look better in most cases.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a progress update.

Lots more image design options, cleaner font, and a functional Configuration UI.

I still have UI stuff to do and need to re-implement all the image processing in the other image library some Emby builds use.

But it's getting closer.

Here are some images generated by the plugin using configuration options:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.804e76f1b785e5281f6485469ef6e213.jpg

Edited by roaku
  • Like 3

Very cool. This doesn't pull anything from any meta-providers but uses the images Emby has already pulled, correct?

If so, maybe adjusting the fetcher option for TV and Movie to pull more than 1 "backdrop" would be helpful to have variety of images to work with!

Have you tried that @roaku?

Carlo

21 minutes ago, cayars said:

Very cool. This doesn't pull anything from any meta-providers but uses the images Emby has already pulled, correct?

If so, maybe adjusting the fetcher option for TV and Movie to pull more than 1 "backdrop" would be helpful to have variety of images to work with!

Have you tried that @roaku?

Carlo

Correct, what I've done so far only uses the *already retrieved* parent item art to generate (posters, thumbs) or clone (backdrops, logos) Extra art as part of the metadata refresh process. It does no remote image fetching of its own.

This allows for Extra art to automatically appear as the extras are processed in by Emby and to be manually refreshed as needed/wanted.

I have plans to build a (premium) UI that will provide an interactive option for custom generating extra art per movie with one off settings, quick sorting extras, etc. At that point, I'll experiment with fetching art from the providers that the movie item itself might not have pulled down.

Edited by roaku
  • Like 1

Ok, the first test build is up and available here for anyone running 4.8 beta that wants to try it out.

• Like 1