Problems with navigation and layout

frankmb

frankmb

I noticed a few problems with navigation and layout in the roku app.

In TV Shows:

In the "Shows" tab, if you navigate down on the right column, you can get to the bottom of the column, continue pushing the down button thinking you are at the end of the list but you are missing the final row of shows without realizing it (which does not extend to the right column).

The "Genres" tab and the "Folder" tab also have the same problem as above.

In the "Suggestions" tab, I push down once and the first item selected does not have the green border at the right location.

In the "Upcoming" tab, I push down once and the first item selected does not have the green border at the right location.

In the "Favorites" tab, I push down once and the first item selected does not have the green border at the right location.

In the "Episodes" tab, using the alphabet on the left to jump to a certain letter does not really make sense since it only moves around the episodes of the first couple series. It would probably be better to jump to different series names, rather than episode names.

20221010_214545_HDR.jpg

20221010_214601_HDR.jpg

20221010_214809_HDR.jpg

20221010_214830_HDR.jpg

20221010_214846_HDR.jpg

20221010_215000_HDR.jpg

Edited by frankmb

12 hours ago, frankmb said:

In the "Shows" tab, if you navigate down on the right column, you can get to the bottom of the column, continue pushing the down button thinking you are at the end of the list but you are missing the final row of shows without realizing it (which does not extend to the right column).

The "Genres" tab and the "Folder" tab also have the same problem as above.

Hi.  This navigation is being managed by the Roku itself.  I'm not sure we can change that behavior but if you use the 'right' button on the remote, it will take you to the next item.

In the "Suggestions" tab, I push down once and the first item selected does not have the green border at the right location.

In the "Upcoming" tab, I push down once and the first item selected does not have the green border at the right location.

In the "Favorites" tab, I push down once and the first item selected does not have the green border at the right location.

This should be corrected in the upcoming new release of the app.

In the "Episodes" tab, using the alphabet on the left to jump to a certain letter does not really make sense since it only moves around the episodes of the first couple series. It would probably be better to jump to different series names, rather than episode names.

Good catch.  There shouldn't be a letter jump on that screen I guess.

16 hours ago, frankmb said:

I noticed a few problems with navigation and layout in the roku app.

In TV Shows:

We can fix this. It is because you are aligned all the way to the right edge of the grid and technically there are no more rows below you at that grid spot. If you take 5 items. Make a grid 3x2. If you are on the third item spot to go down. You cannot. This 6th spot, which is 2nd row 3rd item. It is an empty space. But.. we do get a notice that the user tried to go down from the Roku navigation and can then say lets go to end of grid in our custom navigation. Then move you to the end of the grid rather than directly downward when you press down at those spots. That is possible. We can do that. :)

Edited by speechles

You will notice that the Roku device home screen behaves the same way.  If you are on the third tile and arrow down to a row with only 2 tiles, it skips it and goes to the next row.

I'm not sure how I feel about trying to brute-force change this default Roku behavior...but maybe.

frankmb

I think I see what you mean. However on the Roku home screen. the selected item is always on the top row so you always see what's underneath on the next row.

In emby, once you are at the bottom, you don't see the next row underneath and can't reach it by holding down.

20221011_185732_HDR.jpg

Edited by frankmb

19 hours ago, frankmb said:

on the Roku home screen. the selected item is always on the top row

That is because they have that grid in "fixed wrap around" scrolling mode which we do not use.  I agree that the device should probably behave better here but we need to figure out how best to handle it without getting too hacky.  We'll investigate.

• 4 weeks later...

@frankmb The grid will be able to understand that when you press down and it cannot go down vertically that it instead should take you to the end of the grid. There will be other improvements coming to the grid to make the entire experience better. All your problems should be addressed soon.

frankmb
On 11/7/2022 at 8:40 PM, speechles said:

@frankmb The grid will be able to understand that when you press down and it cannot go down vertically that it instead should take you to the end of the grid. There will be other improvements coming to the grid to make the entire experience better. All your problems should be addressed soon.

Great! Thanks for the update