How to best integrate new storage into existing server

crusher11

crusher11

I'm keeping my Synology NAS, which has about 70TB of data on it. That's where the server is installed as well as NGINX, comskip, etc. I've bought an additional setup, custom build running TrueNAS. What's the best way to shuffle things around? Someone mentioned something about shares earlier, which would apparently make it easier to add more storage going forward, as opposed to just adding the folders straight out. I can't move my TV episodes, because that would wipe my IntroSkip data, right? How complex is moving the Recordings folder? That's one I'm particularly wary of as I don't want to break anything and it's a bit more integrated with Emby's functionality than other libraries.

Anything else I need to be wary of? I do want to move some stuff across to the new storage, as the NAS is at 100% capacity right now and could do with some breathing room, but for the most part it'll just be things I add going forward unless I can think of a neater way to do things.

You've been around long enough to see this recommendation before but I highly recommend a drive pooling solution to abstract the physical discs from ALL the apps that use them.

crusher11
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

You've been around long enough to see this recommendation before but I highly recommend a drive pooling solution to abstract the physical discs from ALL the apps that use them.

I'm not really sure how any of that works, outside of RAID and the like which I already have running as two separate arrays, one Synology and one TrueNAS. Is pooling an option above that? Where and how would I pool them? Is it feasible given how much data I already have on the Synology?

Google "drive pool" or go to the stablebit forums and I'm sure all your questions can be answered.  I'm not sure about your specific existing installation but you asked for the best way to handle expanding storage and the answer to that, IMO, hands down is using drive pooling of some sort.

crusher11
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Google "drive pool" or go to the stablebit forums and I'm sure all your questions can be answered.  I'm not sure about your specific existing installation but you asked for the best way to handle expanding storage and the answer to that, IMO, hands down is using drive pooling of some sort.

It all seems to be software that runs on Windows, which is not at all applicable to my setup.

The way i have it setup is a ubuntu vm running emby (alternative could also be docker) and then mount all the media locations to the vm. With this setup it doesnt matter where the "real media location" is. Really easy and gives you the most flexibility. Also it shouldnt be that hard to move your install from synology to docker or linux

crusher11
11 minutes ago, Pommes said:

The way i have it setup is a ubuntu vm running emby (alternative could also be docker) and then mount all the media locations to the vm. With this setup it doesnt matter where the "real media location" is. Really easy and gives you the most flexibility. Also it shouldnt be that hard to move your install from synology to docker or linux

Well for starters it would wipe hundreds of episodes' worth of introSkip data, plus I'd have to set up comskip all over again, and NGINX, and possibly other things.

8 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Well for starters it would wipe hundreds of episodes' worth of introSkip data, plus I'd have to set up comskip all over again, and NGINX, and possibly other things.

you would need to reconfigure nginx yes, but the introskip data shouldnt be effected.

Make a fresh emby install in docker/linux, move all your emby files from the synology to the new install, overwrite if it asks and for the last just mount your shares in folders where the videofiles where on the old emby install. With that emby shouldnt notice any changes. (i mean you can try it, just make a backup of all emby files before)

Spaceboy

you can mount shares that are external to a synology nas. also shouldnt be any issue moving the live tv recordings folder - emby would just pick it up in the new location.

none of this is ideal though in my opinion and is one of the inherent weaknesses of using a nas as your emby server. as ebr suggested by far the best long term solution is a windows machine running one of the drive pooling options. but i dream of a case that i can get my 60 odd hard disks into...

crusher11

Does drive pooling allow redundancies like RAID does?

Either way, I have a Synology and a TrueNAS box. Kinda need to start from there.

crusher11
20 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

you can't drive pool with just a nas.

That's not what I asked, though.

Like, at this stage I have a TrueNAS install, which has a bunch of drives in it with a small amount of data on them I plan to move elsewhere anyway. So it's technically possible to switch that over to a Windows setup and drivepool, although I imagine Windows costs money and I'm definitely not doing that if I lose my redundancies. But the Synology is still there, with most of my data on it, and I have no plans to get rid of it, so that may not help at all anyway. And I'm still not sure what @Pommes was getting at.

Otherwise yeah, seems I have to mount the TrueNAS to the Synology. Which, ugh, but whatever. The issue there is it's a whole new folder, it can't merge in in any way, and then I have to manually add the appropriate folders to each Emby Library and then manually set permissions on those folders - just in trialling it I've already exposed my stubs to all my users, which is not ideal. Plus CoverArt needs to be tweaked as well, as the second lot of stubs don't even indicate they're offline.

So is there a way to shortcut that process at all?

In an ideal world I'd pick some libraries to move completely, and other libraries to just stay on the Synology, but I can't do that because I can't move anything that has IntroSkip data which means sports and TV are out, and I've symlinked Fire Walk with Me between my TV and movie libraries so that breaks if I move my movies away from my TV shows, plus I have a script in my Synology that creates a symlink to one of three versions of Clue at random so I can emulate the "random ending" option of the Blu-ray and I have no idea how that would go with me moving the file.

And all this because two or three years ago I decided eight bays would give me oodles of space and there's no way I'd exceed that in the foreseeable future. Parkinson's Law of Data strikes again!

Spaceboy
37 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That's not what I asked, though.

On 15/10/2022 at 15:16, crusher11 said:

Does drive pooling allow redundancies like RAID does?

Either way, I have a Synology and a TrueNAS box. Kinda need to start from there.

i mean it definitely is what you asked though.

Drivepool (with duplication activated) is THE most braindead simple way to combine hard drives with redundancy. The only drawback with duplication is you lose half your space. If you want to save a bunch of space and still have redundancy, you can turn off duplication and use Drivepool along side Snapraid, but that's not exactly braindead simple. I think you want something easy, and that means a windows machine (sorry) with a bunch of hard drives running Drivepool with duplication. Add any size drive whenever you want. Can't get any simpler than that. Removal and replacement is also simple, as long as you have enough space to shift data around. It's so easy, it's worth running windows.