Emby is Stuck at 33% On My Families RokuTV's

Methodman104

pwhodges
4 minutes ago, Methodman104 said:

Hi Paul, did you want the recent log files? 

Not me - I'm just another user, but with long experience of debugging in general.  A more detailed description of what is actually seen could help direct the focus on useful things; or maybe not - it's hard to know without trying, though.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Methodman104 said:

my parents tried again and said they still see it stuck at 33%.

Once again for clarity - what is that 33% situation about?

They play a local file and it plays for one 3rd of the time and stops then?
or
They want to start playback, but it never really starts and there's just the seekbar showing the 33% position?

41 minutes ago, softworkz said:

what is that 33% situation about?

or
They want to start playback, but it never really starts and there's just the seekbar showing the 33% position?

The latter.  The Roku puts up a spinner and, if it takes long enough, it will put a % in the middle of the spinner.  33% is the first point that it displays this.  I've never seen a percentage lower than that so I'm guessing that is just their default starting % loading point and it never gets far enough past that to update.

Could this be range-requests?

• Agree 1

Methodman104

As a side note Emby Theater DOES work on my parents Desktop, I just installed it and tested it remotely. here is the latest log file from this hour if it helps.

embyserver (5).txt

Edited by Methodman104

Methodman104
49 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Once again for clarity - what is that 33% situation about?

or

It starts to load and then is a black screen and spins saying 33% (from their RokuTV) So it attempts to start and there is the "seekbar" displays the circular 33% as it attempts to load the video but does nothing after that.

Methodman104
8 minutes ago, ebr said:

The latter.  The Roku puts up a spinner and, if it takes long enough, it will put a % in the middle of the spinner.  33% is the first point that it displays this.  I've never seen a percentage lower than that so I'm guessing that is just their default starting % loading point and it never gets far enough past that to update.

yes the latter, but it does work on the Emby Theater App on their desktop computer, it is just their roku TV and my  also my friends Roku TV staying at 33%.

Happy2Play

How is the internet connection as I would not see a reason for a "Bitrate":1334464 to transcode but will guess the client playback quality is set to auto.

VideoBitrate=570005&AudioBitrate=127923
TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Does changing to Roku client quality setting to something beside Auto help?

14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Not in this case. There are range requests for directplay (e.g. of .mp4) which are legitimate. 

I see a few attempts for HLS playback, but it never goes much farther than loading 0.ts and 1.ts. Then happens nothing for a minute and eventually, the server kills the transcoding.

I've been wondering above already whether there might be a network issue..

On 10/11/2022 at 6:40 PM, softworkz said:

The two recent ffmpeg logs look just fine.

But I've seen tons of portmapper errors in the server log. Maybe some kind of network issue?

Methodman104
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

I've been wondering above already whether there might be a network issue..

on my network? or my families network?  I was able to watch emby on their computer remotely today if that matters.

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, Methodman104 said:

on my network? or my families network?  I was able to watch emby on their computer remotely today if that matters.

Was it direct playing or transcoding? 

But did you have a chance to check playback quality in Roku app? App Home Screen-star key-Playback-Quality

Methodman104
19 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Was it direct playing or transcoding? 

But did you have a chance to check playback quality in Roku app? App Home Screen-star key-Playback-Quality

testing it remotely now...my live tv channel is direct play at the moment.

The on-demand movie seems to be playing direct play as well.

So emby works on their computer.

Usually they watch the live-tv channel on their rokutv through emby. So I guess that is always direct play as well? Emby usually choses that automatically for the viewer and the content they are watching.

Here is latest log file if needed. 

embyserver (6).txt

Edited by Methodman104

When this happens, does anything play, or is it sporadic? 

In other words, what I'm asking is, if you try to play the same thing again right after it happens, does that sometimes work, or is it consistent?

14 hours ago, Methodman104 said:

Usually they watch the live-tv channel on their rokutv through emby. So I guess that is always direct play as well?

The Roku cannot direct play a live stream like that.  It will be at least re-muxing it but your examples above are transcoding.

Methodman104
14 hours ago, Luke said:

When this happens, does anything play, or is it sporadic? 

In other words, what I'm asking is, if you try to play the same thing again right after it happens, does that sometimes work, or is it consistent?

it seems to be consistent. Here is another log file from another user that has a  rokuTV

ffmpeg-transcode-07f762ef-defc-4d02-b3cb-ebf2015182bd_1.txt embyserver-63801388800.txt

Edited by Methodman104
added log files

Methodman104
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

The Roku cannot direct play a live stream like that.  It will be at least re-muxing it but your examples above are transcoding.

okay, thanks for clearing that up. So I guess it is automatically transcoding or re-muxing. 

Scott D

Just for grins...What model of Roku player is being used?  I am having a similar problem and have tracked it down to a few consistencies.  

1.  Seems to only happen on lower end Roku players.   Mid and Higher end Roku devices have no problem playing the same content, even when on the same network.

2.  Seems to happen on Samsung TV's (Tizen) with the Emby app.

3.  Seems to happen on Roku TV's (Hisense) with current Emby app.

Might be nothing, but I did not see mention of the type device being used.

• Agree 1

Methodman104
On 10/19/2022 at 12:15 AM, Scott D said:

Just for grins...What model of Roku player is being used?  I am having a similar problem and have tracked it down to a few consistencies.  

1.  Seems to only happen on lower end Roku players.   Mid and Higher end Roku devices have no problem playing the same content, even when on the same network.

2.  Seems to happen on Samsung TV's (Tizen) with the Emby app.

3.  Seems to happen on Roku TV's (Hisense) with current Emby app.

Might be nothing, but I did not see mention of the type device being used.

It is a Philips TV with built in roku. the tv was manufactured in 2020.

Methodman104
On 10/18/2022 at 11:47 PM, Luke said:

Is your family using a vpn by any chance?

no they are senior citizens and not tech savvy people.

all new log files,  had them uninstall emby, restart the tv and reinstall but it is still not playing. 

embyserver (7).txt

ffmpeg-transcode-87213630-c90f-493c-8199-b1df3b79f591_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d2874b94-aba0-4a9a-acd2-6d7c83a8e042_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-fd3df9cb-0224-4ebf-89a0-97ac9fc3d735_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-4f5ba294-e912-47cc-8ef5-0513c5aea15d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7d514233-1098-4ed8-8cf2-6bb3f2020699_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-908193f6-3e12-4807-b01f-34e061d3f237_1.txt

Edited by Methodman104

Scott D

Sounds like you are experiencing the same problem I am having.  Have you tried, or do you have any issues when accessing using a dedicated Roku device and not the OS built into another device?  If issue persists, what version of Roku device is being used?

It seems to me that something changed in the creation of the ffmpeg command string.  I had no issues until a server update a few months back.

Hope this helps in tracking the problem down.

Scott D

PS.  You need to "Anonymize"  your log files.  I also suggest doing a /search/replace for your IP address before uploading.

• Thanks 1

Methodman104
On 10/20/2022 at 3:23 PM, Scott D said:

Sounds like you are experiencing the same problem I am having.  Have you tried, or do you have any issues when accessing using a dedicated Roku device and not the OS built into another device?  If issue persists, what version of Roku device is being used?

It seems to me that something changed in the creation of the ffmpeg command string.  I had no issues until a server update a few months back.

Hope this helps in tracking the problem down.

This seems to only be on my families TV with built in roku on the tv. I know someone else that tried it but she said it worked for her....she was using a roku stick, I think thr 4k version. I don't know what version of Emby they are running on their tv's though.

Methodman104

Should I upgrade or downgrade the current Emby Web version I have to see if this fixes the RokuTV issue???

Edited by Methodman104

We've actually had a new Roku app update go out today. Can you please try again with that? Thanks.

• Thanks 1