Auto created collections and deletion

Landoman

Landoman

When auto created collections are created, if you wan tot delete them in a batch by using the multiple select it will delete THE FILES as well.
If you select the collection individually, it does NOT delete the files. It should be the same behaviour of NOT deleting in both instances. A collection is virtual.

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it shouldn't be doing this. @Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

No items were updated, and virtual collections deleted, tested deleting 15 Collections custom and provider created.

example items with nfo files show updating and collection removal, items without nfo files just show collection deletion.

2022-10-03 13:01:01.829 Debug App: Saving nfo metadata for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft (1991)\Backdraft (1991) - 1080p.disc to C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft (1991)\Backdraft (1991) - 1080p.nfo.
2022-10-03 13:01:01.842 Debug SqliteItemRepository: Public GetItemLinks
2022-10-03 13:01:01.844 Debug App: Saving nfo metadata for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft (1991)\Backdraft (1991) - 2160p.disc to C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft (1991)\Backdraft (1991) - 2160p.nfo.
2022-10-03 13:01:01.857 Debug SqliteItemRepository: Public GetItemLinks
2022-10-03 13:01:01.859 Debug App: Saving nfo metadata for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft 2 (2019)\Backdraft 2 (2019) - 1080p.disc to C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft 2 (2019)\Backdraft 2 (2019) - 1080p.nfo.
2022-10-03 13:01:01.871 Debug SqliteItemRepository: Public GetItemLinks
2022-10-03 13:01:01.873 Debug App: Saving nfo metadata for C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft 2 (2019)\Backdraft 2 (2019) - 2160p.disc to C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Multi Version Library\Backdraft 2 (2019)\Backdraft 2 (2019) - 2160p.nfo.
2022-10-03 13:01:01.884 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: BoxSet, Name: Backdraft Collection, Path: , Id: 11097
2022-10-03 13:01:01.897 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Stable\programdata\metadata\collections\Backdraft Collection

2022-10-03 13:01:02.624 Debug SqliteItemRepository: Public GetItemLinks
2022-10-03 13:01:02.626 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: BoxSet, Name: Cars Collection, Path: , Id: 7400
2022-10-03 13:01:02.642 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Stable\programdata\metadata\collections\Cars Collection

@Landoman Do you have the server log when this happened?  

It's just a different confirmation box if you use the multi-select vs the 3-dot menu. does that answer  your question?

Landoman

Its a collection. The second collection screenshot is via the multi-select. It should not be deleting items in collections as collections are virtual... The dialog should be the same. If I want to delete 20 collections I should not have to go to each collection and delete them one by one as the main multi select deletes the actual objects in the collections ie the files.

2 hours ago, Landoman said:

Its a collection. The second collection screenshot is via the multi-select. It should not be deleting items in collections as collections are virtual... The dialog should be the same. If I want to delete 20 collections I should not have to go to each collection and delete them one by one as the main multi select deletes the actual objects in the collections ie the files.

Clicking delete on the collection will not delete the movies, only the collection. That's no matter how you do it, using the 3-dot menu or the multi-select tool.

Happy2Play

Its a collection. The second collection screenshot is via the multi-select. It should not be deleting items in collections as collections are virtual... The dialog should be the same.

The only difference in deleting 1 item vs multi-select is the dialog as 1 item can show you Name vs a generic statement.

The second collection screenshot is via the multi-select. It should not be deleting items in collections as collections are virtual

Emby does not delete items when you delete a collection it removes the item from the collection and deleted the virtual Collection from the Emby library and filesystem ie /metadata/collection/each collection.  So yes removal from Emby and removal from filesystem.

• Thanks 1

Landoman
On 09/10/2022 at 23:32, Happy2Play said:

So just to clarify. It does not delete the files within the collection, ie the items added to the collection but the collection metadata files correct? If so the language needs to be clearer.

Deleting these items etc but add , "but not the contents of the collection."

So it doesnt delete the contents. Then it should say it will delete the items but not the contents.

Edited by Landoman
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, Landoman said:

So it doesnt delete the contents. Then it should say it will delete the items but not the contents.

Where does it say it will delete the content?  All I see is a Multi-Select statement as it applies to all items multi-selected whether it be 1 or 100.

Collections/Playlists are items that can deleted but will not affect the content/items within the Collection/Playlist but the item will be deleted from Library and Filesystem.

Landoman

Look, you are not being helpful. 

"Deleting these items ". This would logically refer to the items you are deleting.  I am trying to help you to ensure that the end user does not make a mistake. You are going to all this when it would be a lot easier to simply add the text,

"Deleting these items will delete them from both the file system and your media library "

You have used the term item, item can refer to many things, both the virtual collection and the content.

You then state:

"Collections/Playlists are items that can deleted but will not affect the content/items within the Collection/Playlist but the item will be deleted from Library and Filesystem. "

Which is the VERY POINT I AM MAKING. You have literally just made my point. You have literally written down WHAT SHOULD BE WRITTEN in the warning box, whcih is the entire point i am making.

How can I know something, I do not know.

Landoman

So you call items and contents the same thing, items.  In one instance it means content in other it means the virtual collection.

You should add text to the other dialog box simply saying no physical content wil be deleted. You have added the following folders and files will be deleted so you should add to the other dialog box, "no content will be deleted."

One is a file or physical folder, the other is a virtual collection. You need to distinguish between the two and not call them the same thing, item because in one instance the item deletion will result in files and folders and in the other it will not. That is why you put the warning below but you should ALSO put text in the other former dialog box saying, no physical folders will be deleted.

Feel free to ignore my advice. Developing software means listening to the end user as everyone has their difference perspective. it is why we have endless meetings about user requirements and so on to ensure the programming team is actually doing what the end users want. However time and time again the programmer does not realise what is obvious to them is not obvious to the end user.

image.png.66463981cb49840c330d2160c280c8fb.png

Edited by Landoman
  • Thanks 1