Emby won't start. "Entrypoint Error"

rms8
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Tried to watch a movie.  When Emby on my Win7 WMC PC started it gave the error in the pic.  Server is on Win10.  Everything has been working fine for years.  Nothing has changed for years.  It was working fine 3 nights ago.  I fired up a different PC which just has Emby Theater and it works fine and sees the server.  Of course I restarted everything multiple times, but no dice.

Any ideas??

20221001_114210.thumb.jpg.dc1723999b4aaede0933d6594fc63ede.jpg

MBClassic-1102022768e043132a5498bb27b28c3c3c97988.log

Edited by rms8
add log

Just now, Luke said:

You'll need to stay on server version 4.7.6 and not go any higher than that.

Did server version 4.7.8.0 JUST get released?  Everything was literally working fine a few days ago.

OH FFS....

image.png.4cba2bce4bc21c244a2fc35a647f7f47.png

So the server literally JUST UPDATED an hour earlier.

How do I back the server out to the last release?

Edited by rms8

Happy2Play

Same discussion hare but yes new server .7/.8 just came out.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Same discussion hare but yes new server .7/.8 just came out.

How can I revert back to 4.7.7.0 since all was working just fine?

Just now, rms8 said:

How can I revert back to 4.7.7.0 since all was working just fine?

I highly doubt 4.7.7 was working as it's nearly identical to 4.7.8. 4.7.6 is what you'll want if you must go backwards.

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

I highly doubt 4.7.7 was working as it's nearly identical to 4.7.8. 4.7.6 is what you'll want if you must go backwards.

You're right.  I watched a movies 5 days before the 4.7.7.0 update :

image.png.1b9e58737953cf26050553205a889a09.png

image.thumb.png.acf142e520f781d05262696de3d11687.png

Edited by rms8

Is there a way to revert back to 4.7.6  withOUT redoing the serve install? @Happy2Play

Oh, and THANK YOU for such quick replies and identifying the reason!  Geeze, you guys are truly amazing at supporting Emby.

• Solution
Happy2Play

@rms8Since your server updated to 7 and 8 you will not have version still on your system.

For Windows you will need to get the system file from here and shutdown Emby and replace your current one.

Release 4.7.6.0 · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@rms8Since your server updated to 7 and 8 you will not have version still on your system.

For Windows you will need to get the system file from here and shutdown Emby and replace your current one.

Release 4.7.6.0 · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)

Thanks Happ.

You're right.  I tried renaming the system file, but the old one was 4.7.7.

I have a backup of the whole server from a few months ago (5-30-2022).  Should I just grab the system folder from the backup instead, or use the one from Github?

I just checked and the server version of my BU is 4.7.1

Edited by rms8

I went to the link provided by Happy, got the systems file from that and pasted that into the correct folder of the server and Emby for WMC is functioning again !

Unfortunately I have to disable Server updates in order to enjoy the beauty and configurability of Emby for WMC.

Thanks all!

48 minutes ago, rms8 said:

Is there a way to revert back to 4.7.6  withOUT redoing the serve install?

Side note to my comments in the other thread. Once you put 4.7.6.0 back you might also need to copy the older plugin-ins from 4.7.6.0 into the programdata folder and overwrite any of the newer ones in there.

IE:

copy C:\Program Files\Emby\system\plugins (assuming this is now 4.7.6.0)

to 

C:\Program Files\Emby\programdata\plugins

Edited by Vidmo

2 minutes ago, Vidmo said:

Side note to my comments in the other thread. Once you put 4.7.6.0 back you might also need to copy the older plugin-ins from 4.7.6.0 into this folder and overwrite any of the newer ones in there.

IE:

to 

What was interesting in my installation was that there was NO EMBY folder in Program Files.

In my server install the EMBY folders are in AppData/Roaming

Edited by rms8

1 minute ago, Vidmo said:

Side note to my comments in the other thread. Once you put 4.7.6.0 back you might also need to copy the older plugin-ins from 4.7.6.0 into the programdata folder and overwrite any of the newer ones in there.

IE:

to 

You don't have to mess with pre-installed server plugins, but for anything you got from the catalog, yes, when you roll back you may need to manually install compatible versions of them. (But since 4.7.6 and 4.7.8 are very close, probably not).

2 minutes ago, rms8 said:

What was interesting in my installation was that there was NO EMBY folder in Program Files.

In my server install the EMBY folders are in AppData/Roaming

ya, I moved mine to ProgramFiles manually. Sorry for any confusion.

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

You don't have to mess with pre-installed server plugins, but for anything you got from the catalog, yes, when you roll back you may need to manually install compatible versions of them. (But since 4.7.6 and 4.7.8 are very close, probably not).

Although I'm very sad I won't be able to update the server beyond 4.6.7, I'm just glad I was able to get Emby for WMC operating again.

Seriously guys, that GUI is hands down the best of any of the currently available options out there IMO !!!! (looking at you Kodi, Plex....)

Luke,

What sort of donation would be motivation to continue support for WMC?  Serious question.  I think there may be enough of us die-hards that together we could donate something worth while.  Of course this assuming anyone on the team actually wants to deal with the hassle of WMC.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rms8 said:

Luke,

What sort of donation would be motivation to continue support for WMC?  Serious question.  I think there may be enough of us die-hards that together we could donate something worth while.  Of course this assuming anyone on the team actually wants to deal with the hassle of WMC.

The problem is that the workarounds required in the server actually degrade performance for all Emby apps. I didn't remove them to bury WMC, I removed them because it's time to start making improvements that Emby for WMC prevents us from being able to make.

To keep these improvements and Emby for WMC at the same time, Emby for WMC would have to be reworked to be based on changes that have been made in the server over the years. In theory that is possible, but we're not sure there's enough WMC users around to justify the effort. Even if we did, all third party theme support would be lost unless those developers come back to make them compatible after the core app is updated.

53 minutes ago, Luke said:

The problem is that the workarounds required in the server actually degrade performance for all Emby apps. I didn't remove them to bury WMC, I removed them because it's time to start making improvements that Emby for WMC prevents us from being able to make.

To keep these improvements and Emby for WMC at the same time, Emby for WMC would have to be reworked to be based on changes that have been made in the server over the years. In theory that is possible, but we're not sure there's enough WMC users around to justify the effort. Even if we did, all third party theme support would be lost unless those developers come back to make them compatible after the core app is updated.

Thanks for the explanation Luke.  Completely understand. 

itsawill

The problem with emby theatre app is that it isn't as good as the wmc app and doesn't provide a launch point from Windows media center, whereas emby can be launched via Windows media center. 

Also not clear if a wmc remote would work for the emby theatre app in the same way. 

26 minutes ago, itsawill said:

The problem with emby theatre app is that it isn't as good as the wmc app and doesn't provide a launch point from Windows media center, whereas emby can be launched via Windows media center. 

Also not clear if a wmc remote would work for the emby theatre app in the same way. 

It does support remotes, just not the big green button.

dansblackcat

You can add a keyboard shortcut to the Emby Theatre shortcut onthe desktop.  Then you can use the media centre remote remapper app to assign that shortcut to the 'green button' and have it launch theatre.

• Thanks 1