Re-Download Missing Cover Images Only

TheGru
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

I am not sure what happened but at some point in time recently, some of my media seems to have lost its cover images. 

Is there a way via command line to trigger the download of cover images only for media that is missing cover images and not replace all existing images as with over 10K movies that process would be insane. 

alternatively is there a filter I am not seeing to show media that is missing cover images so I can select all of them in bulk and at worst only replace all images for those that are missing from the web UI?

I *think* if you use 'replace metadata' with the 'missing' option, it will pull down the missing images from your configured metadata sources where available and leave your existing ones alone.

I always get nervous about these types of things, though, so definitely wait until someone who sounds more authoritative than me to come along and verify or correct me before doing anything drastic.

Edited by roaku

• Solution
Happy2Play

No but you would just Refresh Search for Missing on the entire library.

No filters or bulk editing.

Just now, Happy2Play said:

No but you would just Refresh Search for Missing on the entire library.

No filters or bulk editing.

I am certain I have tried it but I will try again and tail the log file to see what is happening. 

Happy2Play

Can you go over a specific example.  As if it were missing the image then Refresh would get true miss images.  Or does it have the wrong image in its place?

May need to see server log for specific example also.

Here is an example of some of what is randomly missing. I am running a refresh now and have a tail -f on the log so I see it is probing with ffmpeg at the moment, but I need to wait for it to make it to the E's before I know because I started trying to fix this manually but after a few hours I got annoyed and decided to ask here.

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.18.09 PM.png

2 minutes ago, TheGru said:

Here is an example of some of what is randomly missing. I am running a refresh now and have a tail -f on the log so I see it is probing with ffmpeg at the moment, but I need to wait for it to make it to the E's before I know because I started trying to fix this manually but after a few hours I got annoyed and decided to ask here.

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.18.09 PM.png

When you check the images for one of these with the landscape oriented images, is that image set as 'primary'?

The Expendables (2010) folder seems to have a poster.jpg and upon opening that file it is the right poster, but in Emby the image is wrong

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.22.04 PM.png

poster.jpg

Happy2Play

Looks normal to me for an incomplete scan.

But the example is incomplete as what images are shown via Edit images?  As I can only guess that fanart maybe in the Poster position.

Do you save images with media?  If so what images are in the folder?

2 minutes ago, TheGru said:

upon looking at the edit images screen for the example, The Expendables, there is no image set as the Primary

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.24.47 PM.png

I don't see files named fanart1.jpg or fanart2.jpg in the directory you showed us. Are you sure your library  is configured to read/store images with the media?

Just now, roaku said:

I don't see files named fanart1.jpg or fanart2.jpg in the directory you showed us. Are you sure your library  is configured to read/store images with the media?

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.29.17 PM.png

The refresh has made it to the L's, looks like we need to get to the T's for The Expendables. As soon as I see that log data I will post

Happy2Play

If scans are going on I would wait for the to finish.  I would ensure a full scan is completed.

If scans are going on I would wait for the to finish.  I would ensure a full scan is completed.

no problem. I will let it finish. We are in the P's now

• Thanks 1

So it looks like things are working again now which is odd because I know I have tried this already. Once The Expendables hit the log by way of the refresh missing metadata I reloaded the Movies page, scrolled down to the movie and poster was there again.

Odd... I still wonder where they all went in the first place. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.42.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 5.45.31 PM.png

Is there any order to how the refresh processes the files? It looks like it is jumping all over the place.

my movies all live in /mnt/user/Media/Movies/ on a single array in Unraid. I thought it would be alphabetical, but it is not.

Happy2Play

If already in database then specific dates from the database would affect order as new from a library filesystem order I would assume.

Edited by Happy2Play

If already in database then specific dates from the database would affect order, from a library filesystem order I would assume.

That makes sense. The only other oddity is the circular progress indicator. It rapidly gets to 90% then the last 10% seem to make up the entirety of the refresh so there is really no way to gauge how long the process is going to take. Same seems to be true on Library Scanning as well.

Happy2Play

Yes there are lots of topics on this percentage process issue and that last task could take hours whatever it is.

Yes there are lots of topics on this percentage process issue and that last task could take hours whatever it is.

Haven't looked in to it, but it's why I started tailing the logs when I have the system do anything and I have no idea if anything is actually happening.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with this thread. I have marked it as solved as the Refresh is apparently doing what I needed it to do although I still can't figure out why images were lost to begin with.