VAAPI Transcode Performance - Studdering/Freezing Playback

stratumorien

stratumorien

I have gone back to testing the current version of EMBY server on my DS916+ NAS and still find that VAAPI trancoding produces poor playback (testing on XBOX One X and XBOX One Series X) using Emby Theatre. Attached are logs if they assist and identofying any potential correctable configurations.

Thanks,

Brian

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-cb74686d-04ca-4b33-9932-0c6659b91365_1.txt

Hi, it looks like you're just barely getting fast enough transcoding performance. Maybe try setting the transcoding temp directory back to default in case there's a bottleneck there.

stratumorien

Thanks Luke for the suggestion, unfortunately the performance is unchanged when using the default temp transcode path. I was afraid it might simply be a limitiation of the hardware... I dont know how Synology advertises this device as 4K transcode capable when 1080p is a struggle.

Brian

• 6 months later...
stratumorien

Hi @Luke, yes... I have just accepted that I will never be able to transcode fast enough to support smooth playback. Just got used to it... Most my family uses streaming services and Youtube but I still like to watch live sports and news programs. All stutter/choppy playback.

Xbox, PC, AppleTV, nVidia shield... here is a log from just now trying to watch the local news on my PC thorugh Chrome browser.

ffmpeg-transcode-6cba16f9-6bc2-479f-99f8-9b6dd53b0093_1.txt

embyserver (2).txt

Edited by stratumorien

5 hours ago, stratumorien said:

Hi @Luke, yes... I have just accepted that I will never be able to transcode fast enough to support smooth playback. Just got used to it... Most my family uses streaming services and Youtube but I still like to watch live sports and news programs. All stutter/choppy playback.

Xbox, PC, AppleTV, nVidia shield... here is a log from just now trying to watch the local news on my PC thorugh Chrome browser.

ffmpeg-transcode-6cba16f9-6bc2-479f-99f8-9b6dd53b0093_1.txt 42.89 kB · 0 downloads

embyserver (2).txt 410.9 kB · 0 downloads

In order to help determine if it is transcoding performance related, can you make a recording of the same channel, and then once the recording has completed, try playing that again in the web app with Chrome. Does that perform better?

stratumorien

Apologies, my previous post was not clear that on PC playback issues are browser specific (causes transcode, compatible container, even when playing back a recording...), however playback is great through emby theater client (no transcode but direct play).

Our family media/TV room has an Apple TV device  (I recently posted in the Apple thread) and the emby app cannot smoothly playback any live TV (which stats for nerds also reports direct play). I have tried changing the quality settings in the app to  lower bitrates <5mbs and it does not help. This behavior is observed on my nvidia shield (basement and dont use much) and on the xbox emby app (bedroom). 

I am most interested to solve the appleTV playback issues with live TV as this is where I prefer to watch sports and news programs.

Finally, media playback that is not sourced from the tuner has never been an issue... thus I emphasize that LiveTV playback is where I have performance issues,  persisting for years.

I do hope this all makes some sort of sense.

Brian

Can you try Emby for Apple TV 1.7.2 and let us know how that compares? Thanks.