Apple TV client - State?

mike3821

EddyMerkxs

I’ll be a little more hopeful.

The app is does all the basics for me, except no mkv hdr support. It may not have every feature but I have not noticed anything besides no mkv hdr support. For my small amount of hdr content I switch to infuse to play. I was suprised it supports SDR mkvs since that isn’t in the wiki.

otherwise I’d like some UI stuff like thumbnail scrubbing and skip intro, but I think that stuff will come, if slowly.

Edited by EddyMerkxs
More info

• 1 month later...
karlshea

I would recommend switching to Infuse. It's pretty clear no one on the Emby team is a regular Apple TV user, evidenced by basic things like navigation being broken for weeks after tvOS 16 was released until a couple of people mentioned it here on the forums and the devs asked questions about how to reproduce. If any of them used it regularly it would have been obvious right away.

I'm sure the userbase for this app is way smaller than the others so there's not as many resources being put into it, but it's pretty disappointing for those of us that do use an Apple TV.

Audio/video sync is still a huge issue when going through a receiver, movie playback transcoding issues are constant, and "Auto" playback quality is picking 720p 5mb streams for a friend of mine remotely and when he sets it manually to 4k 60mb it direct plays fine.

The only hope I have is for this iOS player backport that has been mentioned, maybe if they have both platforms sharing some code the quality of the app will improve, but it was pretty rough on tvOS 15, and as it stands right now on tvOS 16 it's unusable for me.

After tvOS 16 I switched to Infuse and playback is perfect. Audio/video is in sync, HDR works, and there are even thumbnails while scrubbing. I actually prefer Emby's library views, up next tiles, and lack of a "library sync" (Infuse needs to sync like Kodi) etc—but the constant playback issues and the app breaking in hilarious ways every time there's an OS update mean I had to switch for the time being.

I'll keep checking in with it—I'd prefer to use the native app—but there is an alternative in the meantime.

EddyMerkxs

Infuse would be my go to if it allowed different versions of the same movie under one library item. Blows my mind that they don’t. 

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
HouseOfCards

Until you want to play your music, a basic feature that Infuse has ignored for ages.

• Agree 1

dragged8202

I have the new 4k+ version with ethernet, H264 loads basically instantly HEVC isn't much worse. I can't speak for 4k HDR content but 4k H264 / HEVC is same thing. No problems. One thing I noticed is the lack of display options comparative to the android version. I can't even display the year of a series / movie in mixed content folders (anime for me). The only option I have there is disabling the title. Yikes. Over all though, the problems I was experiencing with my chrome cast are long gone and the ATV seems like a great choice. Especially since the ATV is 1/2 the price most good android tv boxes. I would definitely like to see more love for the Apple TV app though, seems like they have followed apple's philosophy of little to no customization. If you don't have an iphone though, it is annoying. There are a lot of features that I'm locked out of simply because I didn't buy into apple's ecosystem.