TV Shows Suggestions Changes

Bottles51

Bottles51

Could we have the TV shows suggestions be a bit more like movies and give us some, because you watched rows.

Possibly a row of new recently added shows (I know you can filter the TV library for this but it seems fitting here). Only having the next up row and all your recently added episodes does not really feel like it is giving you suggestions.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Fretawekakoep

+1

I like this idea very much - I love Emby and would like to stick with it. The only thing which causes me to go back to plex from time to time is, their presentation of suggested content.

799954449_Screenshot2022-10-26131126.thumb.png.87a05607348e0f45759e61f25fce876f.png

Starting to have a big collection of movies and series (80TB and growing) and sometimes it is really a very painful experience if you are browsing to your entire collection. Either you use the filters and already know a few parameters to search for like year, genre, etc. But what I like about Plex is that they use a lot of suggestions, not just based on related content but also featured stars/directors, top action movies, etc as seen in the examples attached. This is ideal for when you have a huge content library and just want to browse through these suggestions to find or discover new shows and movies. In the Movie suggestions part this is done well and matches Plex in a way, even tough the suggested content is not always related or the matching are sometimes a bit whack. 

937169057_Screenshot2022-10-26131048.thumb.png.23b4ea8c86e0d87017e9ead000a6883d.png

For Series the suggestion tab could use some additional rows added instead of only the recent episodes and continue playing, this is currently lacking compared to the movie section.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 130952.png

I know there are also a ton of requests regarding the watchlist - I still feel like this is a necessary feature and the favorite function is not fulfilling this. These are two different things in my experience, while a watchlist is more a collection of stuff you'd like to watch - more like a to do list where as favorites, as the word explains, your all time favorites you can always go back too. Part of the experience for myself and my users with Streaming services is that you create a collection of stuff you'd want to watch once hence a watchlist and a collection of stuff you can watch at any time all the time. The other aspect is that me and my users like to browse for hours through these selections of suggested content based on different parameters until you find what you want to watch, while meanwhile adding stuff to the above mentioned collections. I personally find that this how I navigate through other streaming services a lot too.

I love Emby and appreciate everything the team and this community have to offer, I'm a subscriber and am extremely reluctant to move away from Emby because of the awesome product you guys developed - I know this is not a high priority feature but It would improve the experience tremendously I believe.

Many thanks

Edited by Fretawekakoep
  • Like 1

Fretawekakoep

Also a big shout out to the guys developing the 'Top Picks' plugin, works perfect for Movies would love something similar for TV shows

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, Fretawekakoep said:

Also a big shout out to the guys developing the 'Top Picks' plugin, works perfect for Movies would love something similar for TV shows

On 10/19/2022 at 5:13 PM, chef said:

Thanks for the kind words.

If this plugin goes over well, we can use the same registration to create a companion in the future that can handle other media types in emby for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Sounds good.

I'm actually just (finally!!!) getting a cross platform, machine learning, matrix factorization movie recommendations algorithm loading and training in emby based on MovieLens dataset (a dataset of over 2M data points).

So, I do intend on getting a tv show version of top picks happening very soon, I also think I can use this movie recommendations model to recommend top picks specifically to each user.

Which is just absolutely Crazy. 🤯😆.

So we might even be able to have an over all top picks of the server, and then a "Recommended For You" top picks as well!!

Look out Amazon and Netflix (...maybe even... I might just say it... Plex 😮)...

Emby is about to Get Smart. 😆 

• Like 5

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, chef said:

Sounds good.

I'm actually just (finally!!!) getting a cross platform, machine learning, matrix factorization movie recommendations algorithm loading and training in emby based on MovieLens dataset (a dataset of over 2M data points).

So, I do intend on getting a tv show version of top picks happening very soon, I also think I can use this movie recommendations model to recommend top picks specifically to each user.

Which is just absolutely Crazy. 🤯😆.

So we might even be able to have an over all top picks of the server, and then a "Recommended For You" top picks as well!!

Look out Amazon and Netflix (...maybe even... I might just say it... Plex 😮)...

Emby is about to Get Smart. 😆 

@chef Can you give me a ping on PM when you start to look at Top Picks for TV Shows - as this is high on my list of things which I never got working correctly.  I needed to use STRM files for each episode - which is not very elegant - I was hoping I could just point to the TV 'show' but maybe not ... 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, rbjtech said:

@chef Can you give me a ping on PM when you start to look at Top Picks for TV Shows - as this is high on my list of things which I never got working correctly.  I needed to use STRM files for each episode - which is not very elegant - I was hoping I could just point to the TV 'show' but maybe not ... 🤣

Absolutely! Let's work on this together and we can roll something out sooner.

I think you are right, we'll need to mimic the series file system structure.  But, I also think that that is okay, and it's gonna be great!

... in the meantime!

Look at Emby loading, and training the Neural Network, and training it based on the 2M MovieLens data set, with the addition of all my users data...

BOOM!  

I tested against the classic movie Golden Eye (Movie:10).

Actually, it is correct! ... and I should absolutely watch that movie again. LOL!

movieLens.thumb.png.eb6ee36cc719a22f4621c6675af7e844.png

Edited by chef
  • Like 5

• 11 months later...
AshVance
On 9/23/2022 at 3:00 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes it's not a bad idea. Thanks for the feedback.

I just moved to Emby, seeing this a year later I would expect the "Because you watched this" for TV shows? Can you share the ETA for this? Am I the only who believes this is still must have in 2023?

6 hours ago, AshVance said:

I just moved to Emby, seeing this a year later I would expect the "Because you watched this" for TV shows? Can you share the ETA for this? Am I the only who believes this is still must have in 2023?

Hi I don’t have an eta but it’s certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.

• Like 1