Will the embarassingly slow initial scan ever get faster?

popeye246810

popeye246810

so would it be an option to say have an option when setting up music library to tick an option that says only import album artists?  is this doable?

8 hours ago, popeye246810 said:

so would it be an option to say have an option when setting up music library to tick an option that says only import album artists?  is this doable?

I don't think that's the solution. I think customizable tabs is a better approach.

popeye246810

But my issue is I have 1000s or artists without metadata and most there is no way to find this metadata.  And this just makes the music part of the server look untidy and unfinished.  What the solution is, is not to be bombarded with all the artists without metadata.

Take a look at the apple music plugin that Jellyfin uses, it's very good and can pull most metadata for the artists.  

Either that or maybe look into Deezer metadata or Spotify metadata, these would be much much better as a provider as they have all the artists and the majority have metadata, as it stands Emby just doesn't appeal for the music part.  The thing is when the music does have the correct metadata it looks incredible 

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, popeye246810 said:

But my issue is I have 1000s or artists without metadata and most there is no way to find this metadata.  And this just makes the music part of the server look untidy and unfinished. 

Only way you will know about them is clicking their link via as song/album or displayed in search if the tab is hidden.  But if their image is not on Discogs or TheAudioDB then the odds are against it being anywhere elso.

But I guess if you truly do not want Artist/Artists you would have to strip that embedded tag.

popeye246810

I do yes, each artist is in its own folder with artist metadata and an artist image named folder.jpg, then each album is in its own folder with an image of the album cover embedded and named cover.jpg

The issue is Emby will pick up every single artist that is tagged and create an entry for them.

I want to preserve my tags as they are very good tags.  But I don't want to add 1 song by David Guetta and have 7 artists created but this is guess is not an option so I'm sticking with Plex/Jellyfin for the music side as they just seem to handle it so much better.

popeye246810
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Only way you will know about them is clicking their link via as song/album or displayed in search if the tab is hidden.  But if their image is not on Discogs or TheAudioDB then the odds are against it being anywhere elso.

But I guess if you truly do not want Artist/Artists you would have to strip that embedded tag.

I understand that some metadata/images will be unavailable.  However if you take a look at the Jellyfin plugin I posted, that will pull about 96% of images from apple music so it works very well and just leaves me with a few without so I will just use the song image as the artist image.

But as you can appreciate this is a mammoth task, so the fewer the better.  But stripping my tags is not the right solution.  Just a better way to deal with music is the way forward.  If the others can do it well then I'm sure Emby will get there.  Just need a solution that suits everyone

Spaceboy

theyre not going to scrape apple music. give that one up

tbh i got metadata and images for c98% of my 1300 album artists from musicbrainz. i havent really been able to see the impact of discogs yet

personally i don't see a benefit to disabling the Artists tab but if people want it as an option then i have no issue

for your problem - i don't understand why you don't strip the Artists tags. you keep saying they are very good tags, but the facts are that you don't want to make use of them and they are actively causing you the problem you are posting about

TeamB
On 11/3/2022 at 4:19 AM, popeye246810 said:

Take a look at the apple music plugin that Jellyfin uses, it's very good and can pull most metadata for the artists.  

what is the name of this plugin? I dont see an apple music plugin in the jellyfin plugin list

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, TeamB said:

what is the name of this plugin? I dont see an apple music plugin in the jellyfin plugin list

You add the repository to JellyFin but dev no long maintains the plugin or provides the actual code.

MrTimscampi/jellyfin-repo: Repository for Jellyfin plugins made by MrTimscampi (github.com)

TeamB

its using web scraping, I would guess 100% against the TOS for the apple site 🙂

I am surprised the Jellyfin guys let that slide, I remember them making a big deal about not letting that sort of thing creep into their project.

13 hours ago, TeamB said:

I would guess 100% against the TOS for the apple site

Yep.  Ours too just FYI.

thornbill
On 11/3/2022 at 9:03 PM, TeamB said:

I am surprised the Jellyfin guys let that slide, I remember them making a big deal about not letting that sort of thing creep into their project.

There is a reason why that plugin is not part of the Jellyfin GitHub organization or included in the official plugin repository.