Will the embarassingly slow initial scan ever get faster?

popeye246810

1 hour ago, popeye246810 said:

Maybe there could be an option added to not list all the artists and instead only list the album artists?  But the key here is to keep my correct tags.  so i want to see that the now thats what i call music will only be listed as various artists/compilations, but each track to also list other artists that contributed or featured

Heres an example of how Plex does it perfectly

What Plex does here is correct it adds the album as a various artist then it seperates it to a compilation then it has the artist for each song next to each song title, it will not create an artist entry for every song as that is the wrong way, emby will add an artist entry for each and every artist found in that compilation which no one wants but if i search for an artist i know is on the album it will still show up.

The only way to get emby to add this correclty is to remove all the artist tags and replace with Various Artists but that then destroys all the perfect tagging 

various.JPG

compilations.JPG

songs.JPG

What we're doing is also correct. The album artist should be consistent for each track in the album, and that is what emby server will display as the artist for the album. So yes, that means the albumartist for each track should be Various Artists, if that's what you want.

But you can you can still have the artist for each track be different using the artist tag.

If Plex is ignoring your albumartist tags and just making it's own decision to assign it as Various Artists, then I believe that is wrong.

popeye246810

So whilst i understand your point.  But if you have a compilation album with 40 different artists Plex will only add the album artist to the server it will list all the other artists but not add them as separate artists.

so in plex you have various artists then the album and all other artists listed on each track

in emby you have various artists then the album, all artists listed on the track and you will also have 40 other artists that you will have to go get the metadata for (some of them will get their own metadata) but ultimately with large libraries as in my case i will need to get  metadata for about 2000 artists that i didn't want to see out the 6000 that emby created.  i could ignore it and go to the album artist tag, but on the more like this tab there will be a bunch of artists with missing metadata.

I cant see that people would want to destroy their correct tagging, this way would result in not being able to identify the artist on the track and would just show as Various Artists, or to sit and add metadata for 1000s of artists

Surely an option to disable the adding all the artists, and only adding the album artists to emby when scanning would be a good way to go?  Or do people simply not use emby for music?

22 minutes ago, popeye246810 said:

So whilst i understand your point.  But if you have a compilation album with 40 different artists Plex will only add the album artist to the server it will list all the other artists but not add them as separate artists.

so in plex you have various artists then the album and all other artists listed on each track

in emby you have various artists then the album, all artists listed on the track and you will also have 40 other artists that you will have to go get the metadata for (some of them will get their own metadata) but ultimately with large libraries as in my case i will need to get  metadata for about 2000 artists that i didn't want to see out the 6000 that emby created.  i could ignore it and go to the album artist tag, but on the more like this tab there will be a bunch of artists with missing metadata.

I cant see that people would want to destroy their correct tagging, this way would result in not being able to identify the artist on the track and would just show as Various Artists, or to sit and add metadata for 1000s of artists

Surely an option to disable the adding all the artists, and only adding the album artists to emby when scanning would be a good way to go?  Or do people simply not use emby for music?

Can we see a specific example? Why exactly do you think your tags are correct? It sounds to be like your audio files are tagged with Artists that shouldn't be there, but since Plex is ignoring the data it causes you to think that Plex is correct and emby is wrong.

Can we please go over a specific example? Thanks.

Spaceboy

people definitely use emby for music - improvements are possible of course but i think its pretty good.

there's nothing special about your situation. i have 1300 album artists and have metadata for all. i have about 12000 artists and only have metadata for half. i'm comfortable with that because its correct.

actually even when i pick a fairly random album artist all of the "more like this" have metadata/artwork

popeye246810
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Can we see a specific example? Why exactly do you think your tags are correct? It sounds to be like your audio files are tagged with Artists that shouldn't be there, but since Plex is ignoring the data it causes you to think that Plex is correct and emby is wrong.

Can we please go over a specific example? Thanks.

The example is a properly tagged compilation album

popeye246810
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

people definitely use emby for music - improvements are possible of course but i think its pretty good.

there's nothing special about your situation. i have 1300 album artists and have metadata for all. i have about 12000 artists and only have metadata for half. i'm comfortable with that because its correct.

actually even when i pick a fairly random album artist all of the "more like this" have metadata/artwork

That would drive me insane having that many artists with no metadata, Jellyfin is similar in approach to Emby with the music but they have an amazing metadata plugin which gets almost all metadata for all artists, i only had to do a small amount.  I like the way Plex does it, i like having all the info from the tags, easy to find music artists and not an extra 4000+ artists i dont really care about with missing metadata, just ends up looking messy

I do like Plex but i like the little extras emby has to offer and now its slowly catching up to Plex and most importantly has the new skip intro, my main reason for not fully committing, is the music section, and lack of standalone music app.  However there are third party apps that are almost as good as plexamp, so can wait until Emby gets a standalone music app.  I just want a more polished/premium feel to the music section.  I love the way plex handles the importing of the files, i love the way it spits them into albums/singles/live etc.  Im kinda hoping emby will see that plex does a good job with music, then do something better 

15 minutes ago, popeye246810 said:

The example is a properly tagged compilation album

Can we please go over a specific example? We're happy to help.

popeye246810

Ok so i have setup a separate compilation library in both Plex and Emby and included screenshots of the issue at hand

As you can see Plex is doing what I want its show just 1 artist (Various Artists) and when selected it lists the albums then when album is selected i can each artist on each track, but the key here Plex hasnt created 40 Artist entries i dont want

Emby has done the same but as you can see it has added 49 Artists entries and on this occasion it has found most of the metadata.  But especially when it comes to compilation albums i dont want it to create an Artist entry for all those artists, finding the metadata for those Artists on my large collection would be a massive task, or i ignore it and have what feels like a half done job.

Plex 1.JPG

Plex 2.JPG

Plex 3.JPG

Emby 1.JPG

Emby 2.JPG

Emby 3.JPG

popeye246810

to illustrate my point further i added a total of 13 Compilation albums and as you can see Emby has now created 331 Artist entries and i have about 60 of them with no metadata which if i were to keep the section i would have to get the metadata for 60 Artists for just 13 albums i have lots of compilations including some old skool stuff like bonkers collection etc which is notoriously hard to get metadata for anyway 

Emby 1.JPG

emby 2.JPG

popeye246810

Heres my next example i have 32 Artists stored in a folder all tagged how they should, in Emby it shows my 32 album artists but also shows 38 Artists it has created 6 more Artists but as you can appreciate i have over a thousand Album artists so it creates a substantial amount of Artists within the emby server which i will no doubt have to get the metadata for a large number of them.

What i would like to see is my album Artists and artists to match

Emby 1.JPG

emby 2.JPG

emby 3.JPG

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, popeye246810 said:

What i would like to see is my album Artists and artists to match

I would never want that but you can tag your media that way as an artist that is on a track is an Artist and not Album Arts.

image.png.ebeef646ce3ecef59936bc1faf13412e.png

In the end it would come down to excluding providers and ensuring media is tagged appropriately or no tags at all and folder and naming scheme appropriate.

OK so both Plex and Emby are seeing the same thing, but it sounds like you should be using the Album Artists tab and not Artists. Album Artists in Emby = Artists in Plex.

If you had the ability to hide the artists tab would that make your issue go away?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Luke said:

If you had the ability to hide the artists tab would that make your issue go away?

Tab controls would be beneficial across all content types.  I guess the question still would be Global vs User.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel
3 hours ago, Luke said:

OK so both Plex and Emby are seeing the same thing, but it sounds like you should be using the Album Artists tab and not Artists. Album Artists in Emby = Artists in Plex.

I would LOVE the option to turn off that tab, for what it's worth.

• Thanks 1

popeye246810

Yes turning off that tab would be good, but would it be possible for compilations to not create an artist entry? 

The main issue is here I want a clean looking server, and I want all my media to have metadata, the task would be mammoth to add metadata for every artist Emby creates from the compilations

popeye246810

What would be incredible and solve for the majority is a better metadata plugin for the music, the current ones don't seem to have some artists 

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MrTimscampi/jellyfin-repo/master/apple-music/apple-music_1.0.0.0.zip

That's the Jellyfin one and it gets pretty much all metadata for my music 

Maybe tab control and a new plugin for music metadata like the one above that would definitely fix my issue for sure 

popeye246810
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I would never want that but you can tag your media that way as an artist that is on a track is an Artist and not Album Arts.

image.png.ebeef646ce3ecef59936bc1faf13412e.png

In the end it would come down to excluding providers and ensuring media is tagged appropriately or no tags at all and folder and naming scheme appropriate.

This is exactly how it should be, the issue here is that for each of those artists on that compilation Emby will create an Artist section for each one.  Lets say you have over a 1000 compilations and they have a total of 1600 artists and 1 Album Artist in this case (Various Artists) Emby will create 1601 Artist entries.  Now lets say emby goes to get the metadata for those artists but can only get metadata for 1100 artists you have 500 artists without metadata. 

Now lets say you have over 1000 Album Artists, and as we know there are a lot of featuring artists etc so that 1000 Album Artist will run into (as in my case) about 6000 Artists again Emby does its best to get metadata but some of the Artist are new or Obscure Artists, so the current metadata plugins dont do such a good job and can only get lets say 4500 Artists metadata. 

You now have a choice 

Live with the fact you will see when browsing your music library Artists without metadata

Or you sit at your Pc for the next foreseeable future and find or in some cases create the Artist Metadata yourself (mammoth task)

An option could be to hide Artists with no metadata?  Actually thinking about it, wouldn't this be the simplest of solutions?

Spaceboy
4 hours ago, popeye246810 said:

This is exactly how it should be, the issue here is that for each of those artists on that compilation Emby will create an Artist section for each one.  Lets say you have over a 1000 compilations and they have a total of 1600 artists and 1 Album Artist in this case (Various Artists) Emby will create 1601 Artist entries.  Now lets say emby goes to get the metadata for those artists but can only get metadata for 1100 artists you have 500 artists without metadata. 

Now lets say you have over 1000 Album Artists, and as we know there are a lot of featuring artists etc so that 1000 Album Artist will run into (as in my case) about 6000 Artists again Emby does its best to get metadata but some of the Artist are new or Obscure Artists, so the current metadata plugins dont do such a good job and can only get lets say 4500 Artists metadata. 

You now have a choice 

Live with the fact you will see when browsing your music library Artists without metadata

Or you sit at your Pc for the next foreseeable future and find or in some cases create the Artist Metadata yourself (mammoth task)

An option could be to hide Artists with no metadata?  Actually thinking about it, wouldn't this be the simplest of solutions?

only by option IMO. i think a lot of users would want to see it regardless of metadata availability

popeye246810

Imo it's like going on Spotify and seeing a huge number of artists with no picture or metadata, it just wouldn't be an acceptable thing you pay for 

6 minutes ago, popeye246810 said:

Imo it's like going on Spotify and seeing a huge number of artists with no picture or metadata, it just wouldn't be an acceptable thing you pay for 

Actually Spotify does have all of those artists, it's just that they all have images. Hiding tabs is one thing, and that will definitely happen, but taking these artists out of the system will come with some major drawbacks.

For example, you wouldn't be able to click on the artist name and see all tracks in your library from that artist, among other things.

It seems that Plex does import all of those artists as well, but they just don't have a top level category for them like we do. And I think that is the approach we should take as well (via option). And then just continue to pursue more sources for images so that they can all be populated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

popeye246810

That was my point you go on Spotify all the artists have images.  If there was a better metadata option this definitely would not be an issue.

That's why I linked to the Jellyfin plugin to give you an idea of what it is Emby needs 

I had started a Discogs fetcher a few months ago. I'll have to see if I can get that finished up.

• Like 1

popeye246810

That would be good and with the option to turn off the artist tab.  If you could let me know when that option is added ill scan in my music library

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

It won't change anything, it will only hide access to the tab.  Same is If there were some CSS magic that could apply specifically to that Tab.   So all track Artist links will still be accessible and search with provide the Artist.

No different than my image above as each are actual links.  So hiding the tab just puts it out of sight while all the info still exists in the database.