Music Library Import

thelanranger

thelanranger
On 3/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, Luke said:

yea the issue is that a less commonly used tag easily becomes a forgotten tag, and when users use other editing software it may not get updated, and therefore left with incorrect values. And then of course it becomes our problem due to all of the troubleshooting. So that's why I think when there is only one artist, sticking to the Artist tag makes sense.

This is exactly the issue I've been having.

There needs to be a section of VERY CLEAR documentation that states the EXACT and COMPLETE list of tags that emby is reading and using to display items. I'm finding that meticulously tagged files that work in 15 other programs are not working in emby because it will for some reason probe some obscure tag like 'Artists' are 'Album Artists' or 'MB Track ID' or something weird that nothing else is using or the 'AcoustID ID' does not match the 'MB Release ID' and then it removes a single track from an album and makes a whole other album and I have to go delete all the 'MB Release ID' tags or 'AcoustID ID' tags from the album so that everything shows up in emby correctly.

None of these kinds of things happen in ANY other program. I don't have your code so I don't know what you're doing with the tags to sort files but I can tell you with 110% certainty that you're doing SOMETHING that is far more stringent in the sorting than everyone else. 

It's almost as if you had a CD and a Vinyl of the same exact thing and you scanned them in, all the base tags would be the same but lots of extended tags would be different. If you put both into plex/winamp/itunes/etc it would lump these together unless you told it specifically to separate them because it knows they're "all the same song". Emby is sorting far more deeply (to an unnecessary level) and would not only make a CD copy and a Vinyl copy but might even take one of the songs from one of your rips and put it into another location because of some obscure tag that you didn't know about.

While it should be able to read these tags when it comes time to PLAY the file, they don't need to be used to sort the files into buckets. You really only need the 6-8 standard tags to sort everything. If it was scaled way back to this it would end all these threads about people having so many issues with the music portion. 

Happy2Play
On 9/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, thelanranger said:

I'm finding that meticulously tagged files that work in 15 other programs are not working in emby

And are any of those programs reliant on ffmpeg/ffprobe?

But yes specific examples to include ffprobe info is required.

ffprobe -i "path_to_file" -show_streams -show_format -print_format json

But yes since there is linking the database for MBZ and other id if they do not match correctly, it will break items.

thelanranger

Download a copy of the program Jaikoz and pick any random album you want and do a musicbrainz autocorrect. You'll see what I mean. 

The sheer volume of tags is far beyond what you reference in these threads. The issues that users have are when some low level tag simply 'exists' and it conflicts with one of the typical 6-8 tags that make sense to everyone that they need to be looking at. 

Like I've said before, at the very least, there should be VERY CLEAR DOCUMENTATION about what tags are used for sorting. 

I've been able to discern what I need to remove from my files now (for the most part) after a LOT of trial and error but I also fear some kind of update. It also seems a bit ridiculous to have to do all that when the unmodified files work fine in everything else. 

Happy2Play

It is still about FFPROBE not what any other programs do.  As there are dozens of this program shows this or that and FFPROBE shows something different.  But I have yet to see an issue with files I know are tagged properly.

But without specific examples it is anyone's guess.

But yes overall music documentation is weak.

Happy2Play
On 9/13/2022 at 6:18 AM, thelanranger said:

Download a copy of the program Jaikoz and pick any random album you want and do a musicbrainz autocorrect. You'll see what I mean. 

I see it appears to be a good program, but it actually broke a couple albums that were grouped with proper information and broke tracks out into duplicate album do to mismatching track MBZ information.  So it is no different than any other program as you have to potentially micromanage and correct Wrong embedded metadata.