HDR - How To Enable It Also Hardware Question

mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie
15 hours ago, Scott D said:

I can understand exactly how you feel.  I have on multiple occasions done exactly what you described.  I too am having issues with the transcode-temp folder filling up on a daily basis.  I have spent a great deal of time to reproduce, document, log and explain the problem as well as configurations and steps taken in the past.  The standard response is to "wait for or install the latest update", "please provide logs", "please provide additional log files (ffmpeg, etc.), wait for the next update to the server or app.  "It will be resolved in the next update".  Once all of the hurdles have been jumped, the crickets begin.  The best thing I can suggest is that you find a fix that will work for you. 

I have found that my transcode-temp file is filled with abandoned temp files on a daily basis.  My fix is to restart the server on a daily basis.  The problem is not isolated to just myself.  The problem has been going on for YEARS.  There are a few reasons this can happen that devs are aware of:  Exiting ROKU in a non-approved way (home button), system hanging and other common (non-approved) processes.  Suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears, or there is some untold reason as to why it CANNOT be implemented.

So, the best suggestion I can give as a USER is to find a solution that works for you.  Don't wait for the fix to come in the next update, as it probably won't be there.  Continue until you find the burden of running your fixes becomes more than you are willing to exert.  

It appears to me, that the primary focus is on making a more visually appealing product, and the machine behind the curtain just needs to chug along.  When problems occur and requests are made for assistance, some devs use the following key shortcuts: ctrl-L = "Ask for log files", ctrl-x = "please provide an example", ctrl-n = "will be addressed in next update", ctrl-? = "are you still having this issue...wait for next update".

While getting a list of all the wonderful things that are included in the most recent update, what would be more valuable (at least to me), is a list of things that are currently being worked on (specifically fixes).  I understand revealing the next "killer feature" might not be possible, but to know that work is happening on a particular bug and to look for the fix in the next update would be beyond helpful.

Final word:  Hang in there.  Many users and devs on this forum are really great at providing assistance.  Sometimes all you get is a direction to focus your attention.  But, this will sometimes help you to find your own solution, or a fix until it is resolved in the code.

HI mate many thanks for shedding some light on this as i thought the problem was rare and i was on my own. Thanks for taking the time to write your experiences in great detail and i read it all with great interest. Its a real shame there is no fix for this. Luke has suggested installing the newest app through the usb port which i did not know was possible, i dont know why my Samsung tv wont update past 1.2.6 which is an older version. I will try the update through usb and see how it goes. I have found  it only leaves data in the temp folder if the server is transcoding the audio for instance, when it direct plays the video and audio no data files are created in the temp folder. I will update the app and see how i get on mate and thanks again ;)

mystic.bertie
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try installing the latest version of the Emby Samsung app via USB and see if that helps?

thanks for your reply, i did not know this was possible but i will do this and report back, i dont know why my tv has installed 1.2.6 the older version.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, mystic.bertie said:

thanks for your reply, i did not know this was possible but i will do this and report back, i dont know why my tv has installed 1.2.6 the older version.

The Samsung store will always be behind.  Once the app is good to go and gets submitted to Samsung then they have to do their own testing.  That could be several releases, especially since as of late the devs have been cranking them out.

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
22 hours ago, FrostByte said:

The Samsung store will always be behind.  Once the app is good to go and gets submitted to Samsung then they have to do their own testing.  That could be several releases, especially since as of late the devs have been cranking them out.

Thanks for your reply mate. I will know now what to do in future. I have installed the newest app version through the usb port so i will play some content now and see if it has fixed the problem. I will report back. ;)

• Thanks 1

mystic.bertie
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can we please look at a new example?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

The movie froze at 2022-10-03 -19:56 and it left 56gb in the transcoding-temp folder. I have attached the server  and transcoding log. For some reason the transcoding log finished logging at 19.43 which was 13 minutes before the movie froze.

20221003_195548.thumb.jpg.fd0fb328b5da25f6c5a1c4151e339551.jpg

20221003_195738.thumb.jpg.cc9a9654705154a2158292b5606e30fb.jpg

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-49fbebe7-817f-4bef-9867-32f69276bed0_1.txt

SamES

When the transcoding-temp folder is empty, how much free space does that disk have?

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
23 minutes ago, SamES said:

When the transcoding-temp folder is empty, how much free space does that disk have?

Thanks for your reply. It has 155gb free. The video files are stored on an external hard drive. When i play content that does not require transcoding, the movie can still freeze, the only difference is there is no data left in the transcoding-temp folder.

Edited by mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie
2 minutes ago, SamES said:

What type of external hard-drive?  Is it connected by usb?

yes it is, i thought that might be part of the problem however the video would still freeze with files stored on my local hard drive.

SamES
44 minutes ago, mystic.bertie said:

yes it is, i thought that might be part of the problem however the video would still freeze with files stored on my local hard drive.

I think you need to start with the simplest configuration and work backwards.

For me, that would be something on the local disk of the server which DirectPlays.  Assuming your TV is on the same local network, if that is freezing then you have something unusual going on with your setup.  I would also consider swapping your TV network connection from wired to wireless 5GHz or vice-versa depending on how it is currently connected.

• Like 1

mystic.bertie

@SamES @Luke

Guys i tried what Sam suggested and im afraid it still freezes. I dont have internet through my router but i use it for my home network, i use my mobile phone hotspot for my laptop and server pc internet. I set the router to 5Ghz and i connected my tv to the router using wifi. I put some non-transcoding video content on the local hard drive too. It seemed to be playing better yesterday but i was giving it a thorough test and it did freeze last night. 

My server pc is connected to the router with a network cable and it connects to my mobile hotspot wirelessly too, i cant try using wifi instead as i use the wifi adapter for internet which is needed for Emby to work.

mystic.bertie
12 minutes ago, SamES said:

What are your server specs?  What router model?

My Emby server is on an Intel NUC6 mini pc with windows 10. My router is a Sagemcom - SG4K100130.

mystic.bertie
9 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you get another router to test?

Hi mate i have 2 other routers to try, an older Sky SR101 and another the same as my existing one. Shall i try them using wireless to see if it makes any difference? At the moment i have disconnected the network cable from the Emby server pc to my router. So the tv and the pc are using wifi. ;)

SamES
1 hour ago, mystic.bertie said:

Hi mate i have 2 other routers to try, an older Sky SR101 and another the same as my existing one. Shall i try them using wireless to see if it makes any difference? At the moment i have disconnected the network cable from the Emby server pc to my router. So the tv and the pc are using wifi. ;)

Sure, try wifi.  If you can also try a lan connection that would be good, but to be honest unless you have files with really high bitrates or a bad wifi connection then you shouldn't have an issue with either

I assume you're using 5GHz n or ac bands (not 2.4GHz)

• Like 1

SamES

I can't recall if you said the media was on a local disk on the server, or on another network device like a NAS.

Just remember if it is on another device and the server is connected on wifi as well as the TV then you're creating a lot of wifi traffic in both directions which could also be an issue.

Testing with a wired connection will help eliminate this possibility

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
On 07/10/2022 at 22:34, SamES said:

Sure, try wifi.  If you can also try a lan connection that would be good, but to be honest unless you have files with really high bitrates or a bad wifi connection then you shouldn't have an issue with either

I assume you're using 5GHz n or ac bands (not 2.4GHz)

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, i tested the other 2 routers over the weekend, they both give me the same problem with my videos freezing and the app crashing. I used wifi and wired configurations.

I was originally having problems using lan (wired) when these issues first came to light. Then when i tried wifi i had the same problem. 

The Sagemcom routers are set to 5Ghz for wifi. The older Sky router is only 2.4Ghz and using wifi ,made the video stutter, it was playing smoothly when wired however the video still froze occasionally. 

On 07/10/2022 at 22:37, SamES said:

I can't recall if you said the media was on a local disk on the server, or on another network device like a NAS.

Just remember if it is on another device and the server is connected on wifi as well as the TV then you're creating a lot of wifi traffic in both directions which could also be an issue.

Testing with a wired connection will help eliminate this possibility

I have all of my content stored on an external hard drive however i having been testing it recently with files stored on the local hard drive, it still freezes occasionally, the videos i use do not need transcoding either.

It freezes whether im using wireless or wired configurations. 

My old configuration was an older Synology NAS,  my existing NUC6 used as htpc, i used the windows Emby theatre software to play directly to my tv using windows 10.

I got a new UHD HDR tv and my NUC6 does not support 10bit video so i cant play HDR content directly to my new tv, so i started to use the Samsung Emby tv app all the time which does support HDR 10bit video. I started storing my content on a new usb3 hard drive instead of the old NAS i was using.

Are you still seeing issues with the drive filling up?

Let's take a different approach on this.

I'm not sure how many files you are having issues with, but the sample in your earlier logs (The Outfit) is about 80Mbps, which is right on the limit of Samsungs specifications.  That is not in itself a major issue, but something to be aware of.

You are trying to play the ATMOS track, which is not supported on the TV.  This means that the server must convert the audio, which also changes the way it is delivered.  It adds more demands on your server, and the high bitrate file is not helping this.

Rather than the ATMOS track, can you please try selecting the AC3 audio track from the details screen before you start playback.  This should result in a format that allows DirectPlay and eliminates the need for any conversion.  Please test for a while and see whether it resolves your issues.

Check using Stats for Nerds during playback and confirm that it is DirectPlay

Please let me know how this goes.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Looking at the screen grabs - I presume this is going via HDMI to an AVR ?

Does the AVR support True-HD/Atmos / DTS-HD etc ?

If yes, then using any of the built in TV Emby Clients (Samsung, LG etc) is going to mean you lose the ability to process HD Audio directly on your AVR because the Apps (any App, not just emby) cannot pass HD Audio via ARC, even eARC cannot do this as it's an App limitation, not a eARC technology limitation (which can pass HD Audio, but only using external devices - ie a UHD Player).

If the NUC processed the HDR Video (10bit), then you could have used this to pass the HD-Audio to the AVR  .. :(

So With what looks to be a high end AVR/Speaker setup - I would suggest using a Shield Pro 2019 - and then all your issues should disappear - as it will just passthrough both the Video from the Shield > AVR >  TV and Audio (HD) directly from Shield > AVR - no ARC is involved - and directly play both the Video and Audio to maximum fidelity with no transcoding.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

I thought for DTS-HD, it would at least extract the DTS core and deliver that via ARC.  I know my Samsung does this.  Maybe LG is not as sophisticated.

• Like 2

rbjtech
45 minutes ago, SamES said:

I thought for DTS-HD, it would at least extract the DTS core and deliver that via ARC.  I know my Samsung does this.  Maybe LG is not as sophisticated.

Technically yes, and depending on the source, this is actually also true for True-HD (it 'should' have an AC3 Core or be able to 'recreate' an AC3 Core if from a Blu-ray UHD Source) but lots of 'ifs and buts' there and it is highly depended on how it was originally ripped.

A separate default/Track 1 non-HD track is imo the best way to get emby (or any other s/w for that matter) to play for the uninitiated without transcoding (and get HDR etc).   yes it's a bit of remuxing work for the admin (a few minutes on a capable system) but the result (if AC3/E-AC3) can then be played in a browser (edge) without transcoding or by the user just hitting 'play' on emby without selecting any options.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2