HDR - How To Enable It Also Hardware Question

mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie

Hey guys i recently bought a new Samsung UHD HDR tv and unfortunately my older htpc NUC6  does not support x265 UHD 10bit video, it does support 8bit x265 UHD video, the problem is all HDR is x265 10bit video. Because of this issue i have been using the Samsung tv Emby app to play the UHD 10bit HDR videos.

Is there any setting that i need to change to make sure my Samsung Emby app is receiving the HDR video?

My NUC6 htpc does not support 10bit HDR video so is this likely to cause problems direct playing to my tv app which does support UHD HDR?

Cheers guys ;)

Happy2Play

Moved to Samsung TV section.

Assuming you are using the TV app it should just receive the media from the server.  What issues are you having?  Can you go over a specific example with server and ffmpeg log is created for that example.

• Like 2

mystic.bertie
10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Moved to Samsung TV section.

Assuming you are using the TV app it should just receive the media from the server.  What issues are you having?  Can you go over a specific example with server and ffmpeg log is created for that example.

Thanks for moving my thread and thanks for your reply. I have no idea if my tv is displaying HDR or not, the remote button that brings up the tv display info when your watching tv that actually is pausing the video when im using the Emby app. The video does direct play however it sometimes transcodes the audio depending on the source format. Does the Emby Server and Samsung tv app play HDR without the need to change any settings?

A problem i am having sometimes is that the video im watching just freezes and i need to hit exit on the remote to close the app, this can happen a few times during a movie also sometimes the movie plays flawlessly, i then have to open the app again and resume where i was. I see another user has posted a similar problem too. I have posted the log from last night when i was watching Black Widow the movie froze a few times. I noted the times so i managed to find one log. I have several logs but i saved a ffmpeg and a server one of each. 

I also noticed my transcode temp folder was 75gb in size so i deleted everything inside.

2022-09-12 23:39:47.042 Info SessionManager: Session 3456cae5a701de2096fc637243e7c017 has gone idle while playing
2022-09-12 23:39:47.186 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Emby for Samsung 1.2.6 playing Black Widow. Stopped at 1885158 ms

1 hour ago, OM2K21 said:

Go with mkv container (along with srt based sub) for your media files, Samsung Tv can direct play those, hence no need for transcoding at NUC.

Hi mate i dont think this issue is subtitle related. 

embyserver-63798624000.txt ffmpeg-remux-d44f6552-9b9a-4937-b1cf-b0fbe7a80191_1.txt

FrostByte

There is no setting in Emby to turn on/off HDR.  On my TV if you bring up the Smarthub and scroll to Quick Settings the word "HDR" will appear on the left side.  Every TV is probably different though.

It looks like you were trying to play a TrueHD audio file.  Samsung TVs don't support TrueHD so to prevent the app from converting on the fly select an alternate audio track such as AC3 before pressing Play if there is one.  Any conversion can sometimes cause what looks like a buffering effect

• Like 2

mystic.bertie
4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

There is no setting in Emby to turn on/off HDR.  On my TV if you bring up the Smarthub and scroll to Quick Settings the word "HDR" will appear on the left side.  Every TV is probably different though.

It looks like you were trying to play a TrueHD audio file.  Samsung TVs don't support TrueHD so to prevent the app from converting on the fly select an alternate audio track such as AC3 before pressing Play if there is one.  Any conversion can sometimes cause what looks like a buffering effect

Edit - I am pleased to say my tv is displaying HDR, its in the Quick Settings and then the Picture Mode setting is displaying an HDR icon ;) 

Many thanks for your reply.

In future i will try to select AC3 - 5.1 first, i tried it just there and it does direct play the audio if i choose this audio track. My tv supports DD5.1 and DD Plus so im limited to what formats i can play.

I use my server pc for downloading too so i should maybe leave the pc alone to see if that helps with the freezing incase it is a buffering problem. My tv and pc are connected using Ethernet cables.

Do you have any idea why my transcode temp folder ended up being 75gb in size?

Edited by mystic.bertie

FrostByte
9 hours ago, mystic.bertie said:

Do you have any idea why my transcode temp folder ended up being 75gb in size?

No.  It should clean itself up.  If it happens again provide the devs a log for the time it occurred.  

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

No.  It should clean itself up.  If it happens again provide the devs a log for the time it occurred.  

Ok no problem thanks for your reply ;)

mystic.bertie

@Happy2Play @FrostByte

Hey guys im afraid i am still getting problems with my Samsung tv app freezing while its playing a video. My server pc was not doing any other tasks so it had its full resources also the particular video was direct playing as was the audio, see pic below. I have attached the log file the video froze at 19.09 and 19.12 today 14/09/2022. Do you have any idea why this is happening.

20220914_192107.thumb.jpg.6d79960965f1566b3eace24e0687194c.jpg

14-09-2022 7.09 and 7.12.txt

mystic.bertie
23 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try something lower bitrate? I wonder if the TV's network connection just can't keep up with that.

Thanks for your reply. I lowered the network speed in the tv app and it put my cpu and ram and fan into heavy use because it was transcoding, i tried 25mbps and 30mbps but it still struggled to play and i think it was the pc that was holding it back and buffering occasionally. I played a movie last night and the video has a higher bitrate plus it had to transcode the audio, this movie played perfectly. So this is very confusing. ;)

As a test and using the Emby tv app, i played the same 1hr tv episode that froze yesterday, it froze again but not at the same places and it seems to be random, i then used the tvs DNLA feature to load the Emby server and the full episode played  perfectly.

20220914_233309.thumb.jpg.bf464054098869dc04daf19c048cb594.jpg

Edited by mystic.bertie
  • Thanks 1

mystic.bertie

Guys my transcoding-temp folder has filled up again. My hard drive is only 250gb on my server pc and the Emby tv app stopped working because my hard drive became full. Does anyone know why Emby server is doing this, i have been using Emby server and Theatre for many years and i have never had this problem. Its only recently i started using the tv app all the time.

I also have this ongoing problem with my movies freezing and having to close the app. Can these 2 issues be related?

20220919_004032.thumb.jpg.1c6115b0709234788f4a543950c63a3e.jpg

4 hours ago, mystic.bertie said:

Guys my transcoding-temp folder has filled up again. My hard drive is only 250gb on my server pc and the Emby tv app stopped working because my hard drive became full. Does anyone know why Emby server is doing this, i have been using Emby server and Theatre for many years and i have never had this problem. Its only recently i started using the tv app all the time.

I also have this ongoing problem with my movies freezing and having to close the app. Can these 2 issues be related?

20220919_004032.thumb.jpg.1c6115b0709234788f4a543950c63a3e.jpg

Hi, can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

• Like 1

mystic.bertie

Hi @Luke I have sorted this problem with a bit of trial and error. I have recently transferred all my media collection onto a large external usb hard drive, i found in 'advanced power settings' there is a 'usb selective suspend setting' after disabling this my movies are playing just fine. It looks like my 'transcoding-temp' folder is emptying itself again and my thoughts are this was not being emptied because the Emby tv app was freezing and crashing.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mystic.bertie said:

Hi @Luke I have sorted this problem with a bit of trial and error. I have recently transferred all my media collection onto a large external usb hard drive, i found in 'advanced power settings' there is a 'usb selective suspend setting' after disabling this my movies are playing just fine. It looks like my 'transcoding-temp' folder is emptying itself again and my thoughts are this was not being emptied because the Emby tv app was freezing and crashing.

Hi, it's possible but we'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
On 20/09/2022 at 22:55, Luke said:

Sorry for the delay as there has been some trial and error here. I was convinced that USB setting had done the trick but it turns out to be false, i re-enabled the setting to do the testing for you however after disabling it again im still getting my movies crashing. I moved some files onto my local hard drive and it did not help.

What is happening regarding non transcoding videos, there is no problem with the transcoding-temp folder as it does not get data added it seems.

What is happening when the server needs to transcode the audio format, it adds large data to the transcoding-temp folder and each time the Emby tv app crashes it leaves the data in that temp folder, then when it crashes again and again it leaves even more large data in the temp folder, as i have a small SSD hard drive, it ends up filling up totally, the Emby app no longer will play the movie because it fills my hard drive full.

So i have not solved my Samsung Emby tv app crashing problem. It still crashes even when its not transcoding. Hopefully the attached log file will help.

The app froze 3 times during the movie so i then restarted the movie, it was only after the 4rth freeze did it completely fill the hard drive and would not play the movie after that.

Samsung tv app version - 1.2.6

Emby server version - 4.7.6.0

Movie started - 21/09/2022 - 14.09

crash 1 - 14.25 

crash 2 - 15.03

crash 3 - 15.39

crash 4 - 16.37

01.thumb.jpg.59fe377536600f70556785ca8798cdac.jpg

Crash 1

02.thumb.jpg.a1771574b2e683f1212f164e69b3c2b7.jpg

crash 2

03.thumb.jpg.56aa80a3a4903357bc3fa956c6672f04.jpg

crash 3

04.thumb.jpg.e644c93b91b986ad2dc09cb832a6dd60.jpg

crash 4 and final one

05.thumb.jpg.9faa6baaa13c0df12bf1f1a54c723e3f.jpg

05a.thumb.jpg.937b7ce17cb38f61250cacd99da2d4ea.jpg

05b.thumb.jpg.e4adde4e723a835d257cadf096a9f441.jpg

the screen just freezes and then a little while later the app crashes or i exit with my remote

06.thumb.jpg.26ecfa8041dda0fea3fc1184dd95cb94.jpg

this is when i try to open the same movie after the hard drive is full, it just wont play, at the end of this video it throws up a playback error.

embyserver-63799375687.txt

FrostByte

Kind of curious why you play the TrueHD audio track when Emby has to convert it to 384 kbps AC3 in order to play.  Why not just choose the 640 kbps AC3 alternate track (assuming it wasn't deleted) and let it direct play.  If your NUC is old, then the less work it has to do the better.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

mystic.bertie
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Kind of curious why you play the TrueHD audio track when Emby has to convert it to 384 kbps AC3 in order to play.  Why not just choose the 640 kbps AC3 alternate track (assuming it wasn't deleted) and let it direct play.  If your NUC is old, then the less work it has to do the better.

Hi mate it does not matter regarding my problem, non transcoding crashes as does videos that do transcode the audio. Emby server converts it to another format of surround which sounds ok. I did try the ac3 5.1 like you suggested however sometimes it was a track with narration instead and it was wasting my time, also sometimes my receiver was receiving 2 channel stereo even though i selected ac3 5.1 and i have no idea why. Its more reliable if i just let it play the default audio track. 

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
On 20/09/2022 at 22:55, Luke said:

Hi Luke i have posted as much information as i can.

I updated the tv software too recently and i still have this problem.

mystic.bertie

I did not want to post this but im still stuck at figuring out why my movies are freezing and my trancoding-temp folder is not clearing out of data. Luke asked me for an example of what was happening, i went to the trouble of gathering information, taking pics, video and noting times and events as the problems with occurring, i posted logs more than once. Can i politely ask that i get further help on this issue?

mystic.bertie
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try with the 1.4.1 update that went up yesterday and let us know how that compares. Thanks.

why did you ask me to post more info and give you an example and then completely ignore me, if the admin on here are ignoring me on earth can i do, i always thought the support on here was first class but i no longer feel that way.

Happy2Play

If a client update has went out it may or may not resolve your issue.  But troubleshooting issues like this that do not affect everyone can be problematic if not impossible if it cannot be reproduced by the devs.

Devs try to comment on ever topic unlike any other forum I have ever been on.  I guarantee support on other sites is nowhere near what devs provide here.  Just because you don't get a response on every post doesn't mean it hasn't been seen.

• Like 1

mystic.bertie
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If a client update has went out it may or may not resolve your issue.  But troubleshooting issues like this that do not affect everyone can be problematic if not impossible if it cannot be reproduced by the devs.

Devs try to comment on ever topic unlike any other forum I have ever been on.  I guarantee support on other sites is nowhere near what devs provide here.  Just because you don't get a response on every post doesn't mean it hasn't been seen.

Thanks for your reply. I make a point of thanking everyone who helps and i make a point of responding to every person who replies because im not ignorant like Luke. 

I have the newest client and how can an update fix my problem if the devs are ignoring me and have turned their back on my problem.

To make this situation worse @Luke is the one who asked me provide an example so its beyond disgusting that he ignores me after i did what he asked of me. Not even a hint of reading the post or thanking to acknowledge the info he asked me to provide, this really is utterly disgusting how rude he is. 

I went to a lot of trouble to gather up all the information he requested, pics , video, logs, noting times and the actions with my app freezing and my pc filling with data. It also took me a long time to post all that information and format in the right way, hoping someone would help me. 

I have severe mental health problems depression, anxiety, severe stress and severe anger. I dont need to be made a fool on a public forum in this way. WHat do other people like him get by ignoring me.I know what i think of him and the support offered on here. He has pissed me of big time for no reason at all.

5 hours ago, mystic.bertie said:

Thanks for your reply. I make a point of thanking everyone who helps and i make a point of responding to every person who replies because im not ignorant like Luke. 

I have the newest client and how can an update fix my problem if the devs are ignoring me and have turned their back on my problem.

To make this situation worse @Luke is the one who asked me provide an example so its beyond disgusting that he ignores me after i did what he asked of me. Not even a hint of reading the post or thanking to acknowledge the info he asked me to provide, this really is utterly disgusting how rude he is. 

I went to a lot of trouble to gather up all the information he requested, pics , video, logs, noting times and the actions with my app freezing and my pc filling with data. It also took me a long time to post all that information and format in the right way, hoping someone would help me. 

I have severe mental health problems depression, anxiety, severe stress and severe anger. I dont need to be made a fool on a public forum in this way. WHat do other people like him get by ignoring me.I know what i think of him and the support offered on here. He has pissed me of big time for no reason at all.

I can understand exactly how you feel.  I have on multiple occasions done exactly what you described.  I too am having issues with the transcode-temp folder filling up on a daily basis.  I have spent a great deal of time to reproduce, document, log and explain the problem as well as configurations and steps taken in the past.  The standard response is to "wait for or install the latest update", "please provide logs", "please provide additional log files (ffmpeg, etc.), wait for the next update to the server or app.  "It will be resolved in the next update".  Once all of the hurdles have been jumped, the crickets begin.  The best thing I can suggest is that you find a fix that will work for you. 

I have found that my transcode-temp file is filled with abandoned temp files on a daily basis.  My fix is to restart the server on a daily basis.  The problem is not isolated to just myself.  The problem has been going on for YEARS.  There are a few reasons this can happen that devs are aware of:  Exiting ROKU in a non-approved way (home button), system hanging and other common (non-approved) processes.  Suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears, or there is some untold reason as to why it CANNOT be implemented.

So, the best suggestion I can give as a USER is to find a solution that works for you.  Don't wait for the fix to come in the next update, as it probably won't be there.  Continue until you find the burden of running your fixes becomes more than you are willing to exert.  

It appears to me, that the primary focus is on making a more visually appealing product, and the machine behind the curtain just needs to chug along.  When problems occur and requests are made for assistance, some devs use the following key shortcuts: ctrl-L = "Ask for log files", ctrl-x = "please provide an example", ctrl-n = "will be addressed in next update", ctrl-? = "are you still having this issue...wait for next update".

While getting a list of all the wonderful things that are included in the most recent update, what would be more valuable (at least to me), is a list of things that are currently being worked on (specifically fixes).  I understand revealing the next "killer feature" might not be possible, but to know that work is happening on a particular bug and to look for the fix in the next update would be beyond helpful.

Final word:  Hang in there.  Many users and devs on this forum are really great at providing assistance.  Sometimes all you get is a direction to focus your attention.  But, this will sometimes help you to find your own solution, or a fix until it is resolved in the code.