Emby disappeared

Canavese

Everything was working fine yesterday.   Today my Emby settings were gone.   Nothing.,   The APP was still there but I was presented with a fresh start dialog box and all of my library, paths, collections etc were all gone.  Like I'm starting from Day One.

I had the server on a Mac-Mini M1 and several remote devices (Apple TVs primarily).

I have been doing backups daily --- what can I do to restore it?    I have a lifetime membership so it should be OK with that.   I am not sure but I think we had a brief power loss based on my computers being rebooted.

Edited by Canavese

On 9/21/2022 at 1:15 AM, Luke said:

Is it possible that it ran and wiped out the server's data folde?

No....Time Machine is read only.   

At any rate, I started from scratch and am up and running again.   

But, I have switched to Infuse for movie watching.   Emby buffers and stops frequently and is unwatchable.   Infuse works fine......

Any help text I can use to troubleshoot playback issues?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, Canavese said:

No....Time Machine is read only.   

At any rate, I started from scratch and am up and running again.   

But, I have switched to Infuse for movie watching.   Emby buffers and stops frequently and is unwatchable.   Infuse works fine......

Any help text I can use to troubleshoot playback issues?

@Canavese

Can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Desert-Rat

Mac Mini, M1, Monterey.  I opened Emby and then clicked on Browse Library, and what I got was the initial startup page to first begin using Emby Server.  None of media files were missing, but everything I'd set up in Emby had disappeared -- all the media and media data, the libraries, etc, were gone.

I'd really appreciate hearing from other "Embyites" if they've had this or a similar experience, and did they delete Emby and re-install it or did they move to Plex or something else.

Much thanx, Michael

2 minutes ago, Desert-Rat said:

Mac Mini, M1, Monterey.  I opened Emby and then clicked on Browse Library, and what I got was the initial startup page to first begin using Emby Server.  None of media files were missing, but everything I'd set up in Emby had disappeared -- all the media and media data, the libraries, etc, were gone.

I'd really appreciate hearing from other "Embyites" if they've had this or a similar experience, and did they delete Emby and re-install it or did they move to Plex or something else.

Much thanx, Michael

HI, most likely some process on the machine wiped the contents of the server's program data folder. Normally the locaiton of that is /users/{user}/.config/emby-server.

I would take a look in there and see if it looks pretty bare. If it does, that's probably what happened.

Desert-Rat

Thanx for replying.  I checked the emby.server folders and there are hundreds of files and folders -- there are over 1,000 files in cache, dozens of folder (and "json" files).  But my concern is should I delete Emby and start over?

Would someone looking at the log files find anything helpful?

Michael

Just now, Desert-Rat said:

Thanx for replying.  I checked the emby.server folders and there are hundreds of files and folders -- there are over 1,000 files in cache, dozens of folder (and "json" files).  But my concern is should I delete Emby and start over?

Would someone looking at the log files find anything helpful?

Michael

Please attach the last few log files from the /logs subfolder and we'll see if we can learn anything from that. Thanks.

Canavese

Same happened to me.   I lost emby and got the startup page.    I started from scratch and redid everything.    What's curious is the playback of movies was fits and starts, and unwatchable.   We just went through an evacuation for the hurricane and were without power for days.   Yesterday I fired it up and watched a movie and all is well again.   Very strange.

Desert-Rat

Have you used Plex lately?  I used Plex for quite a while until I discovered Emby (which was several years ago), which I like very much (but not if I have to rebuild it from time to time).  Also, I assume Plex has improved since I used it last.

So I'm inclined to try Plex again...

Michael

When this happens if you just step through the wizard and click next on each screen without doing anything, does that get you back up and running?

Desert-Rat

I finally gave up and grudgingly went back to using Plex.  I wonder if the new M1 chip is part of the problem.

I'll likely go back to Emby unless more problems come up in the forum.

Thanx for having replied.

Canavese
On 10/13/2022 at 8:35 AM, Desert-Rat said:

Have you used Plex lately?  I used Plex for quite a while until I discovered Emby (which was several years ago), which I like very much (but not if I have to rebuild it from time to time).  Also, I assume Plex has improved since I used it last.

So I'm inclined to try Plex again...

Michael

I did use Plex a while back but have since deleted it.   I do have Infuse and Channels DVR on my server.

But since I deleted Emby and started over from scratch, all is well again.   

Edited by Canavese

Desert-Rat

Is Infuse a media server (streams to Apple TV4?)?  I'm not familiar at all with Channel DVR...so now I have  some research to do.

Thank you for thee information.

raevengel

I had a similar issue - though not quite as severe.  While all of my libraries were there, most of the info and metadata was gone. 

I’m having nothing but trouble with this build. Running 4.7.8.0 on Mac OS Monterey 12.6 (M1 Mac mini). Emby keeps trying to update the missing metadata but ends up completely unresponsive. I can’t quit the server, restart it, or access it locally or from other computers within our local home network. Restarting works for just a couple of minutes before it becomes unresponsive again.

Is there a place where I can download the previous version? I’ve checked the GitHub link that I found in another forum post and also the videohelp.com forums but I couldn’t find anything but the latest version. If there isn’t a place to download, could someone please share the previous version? Thanks so much!

Desert-Rat

MY issue was virtually the same -- the Emby server just "vanished" and the screen that appeared ask me to set up my Emby account, as if I'd never had one.  All my media files are on an external drive (and backed up to the cloud) so they are not at issue.

I don't want to use any app, and certainly not a media server streaming movies, etc., that I have to worry about.  I went ahead an installed Plex which loaded its libraries and all the metadata came up...so, until I read that Emby is more solid, I'm not moving again.

raevengel
9 minutes ago, Desert-Rat said:

MY issue was virtually the same -- the Emby server just "vanished" and the screen that appeared ask me to set up my Emby account, as if I'd never had one.  All my media files are on an external drive (and backed up to the cloud) so they are not at issue.

I don't want to use any app, and certainly not a media server streaming movies, etc., that I have to worry about.  I went ahead an installed Plex which loaded its libraries and all the metadata came up...so, until I read that Emby is more solid, I'm not moving again.

I completely understand where you are coming from. I actually run Plex and Emby side by side so I have access to both. Generally, Emby has been really stable. But for some reason, it’s a mess. I finally found a previous version to download from GitHub and rolled back but it’s still not working correctly. It’s lost half my metadata and it can’t seem to scan. It’s getting stuck and locking up. 

I’ve actually an issue with the latest version of Plex shutting down randomly, which is highly unusual. Plex on my Mac min the last two years has been by FAR the most stable media server I’ve ever run. It just keeps working. It seems my setup got switched to beta channel, which might be the reason for the temporarily issue. I’ve also rolled Plex back and so far, it’s been better. 

What I don’t understand is why Emby was stable running the previous version (back when it was first installed) but now that I’ve rolled back, it’s still having issues. Hopefully, things straighten out. 

Desert-Rat

If I had the time (and interest), there are other media servers out there -- but for me, that's where they'll stay...out there.

What you might think about doing is go through the media file (movies/TV) and deleted everything in every folder except the actual video file, than create new Plex or Emby libraries and let the server rebuild the video information.

Michael

raevengel
44 minutes ago, Desert-Rat said:

If I had the time (and interest), there are other media servers out there -- but for me, that's where they'll stay...out there.

What you might think about doing is go through the media file (movies/TV) and deleted everything in every folder except the actual video file, than create new Plex or Emby libraries and let the server rebuild the video information.

Michael

I totally get that - and I agree. I’m sure there are other good media servers available but I think that Emby and Plex are two of the most polished and well developed - these current issues not withstanding.

That’s a good idea about deleting the additional files - I’ve been giving some thought to doing that anyway just to clean things up. I’ve restarted again, and I’m hoping the rollback will be better. Trying to scan again. I’ll see if we make any progress.

I hope Plex works well for you. I have to say, for remote access, I find Plex easier. I’m sure Emby can also do remote access with some setup but with Plex, it just works. No additional effort, and still uses secure connections. We’ve have PlexPass lifetime for years now, and Emby Premiere - so we do enjoy both. I do prefer Emby for video playlists as it offers many more advanced features. 

Desert-Rat

From you comments, I think you use the media server for more functions than I do -- for me it's basically a streaming device connecting my media drive to our Apple TV4.  I like the way the servers keep videos organized, and I like the accessibility of the metadata,  but at the end, streaming with subtitles (which I add if they're missing) is about it.

I've never used the premier or advanced version of either -- not because I don't want to pay for it, but rather because there's nothing in them I really need or want.

Thanx for posting with me...and I hope the rollbacks work out for you.

Michael

raevengel
15 hours ago, Desert-Rat said:

From you comments, I think you use the media server for more functions than I do -- for me it's basically a streaming device connecting my media drive to our Apple TV4.  I like the way the servers keep videos organized, and I like the accessibility of the metadata,  but at the end, streaming with subtitles (which I add if they're missing) is about it.

I've never used the premier or advanced version of either -- not because I don't want to pay for it, but rather because there's nothing in them I really need or want.

Thanx for posting with me...and I hope the rollbacks work out for you.

Michael

We actually use Plex/Emby for pretty much the same thing - just streaming our personal media to our AppleTVs mostly at home (we’ve also used other streaming devices though that’s our current box of choice). But we also use it when we travel. We do enjoy some of the premium/pass features like skip intros, hardware transcoding, early access to features, and more. I think it depends on how much you use it. Often both services run sales, especially around Black Friday/holidays where you can get a lifetime premium/pass for a great price. We got just such a deal probably 7 or 8 years ago now, so it was well worth it. 

Hoping to rollbacks work, too. Still haven’t got it working but my next plan is to delete all of the Emby generated .nfo files, as you suggested. Hoping that letting Emby recreate them might help get it working again. Hope all is working now with your setup too! Take care.