MacOS/Safari: Songs are not played until the end

JPgruenewald

JPgruenewald

Sometimes songs are not played until the end. Emby stops playing at some point and moves on to the next track (if available) as if the end of the song was reached. Up to now this happens with songs that are longer than 3:00 minutes.

I can reproduce this issue but I didn't find a general way to do it. It seems to occur randomly. But after a few tries (using different songs and listening them until the end) it happens again. Maybe it's worth mentioning it: In Safari the emby tab is not always selected (active). After choosing a song I often go to other browser tabs or programs.

Computer Info:
MacOS 12.5.1
Safari 15.6.1

Emby Info:
see attached log files

hardware_detection-63798344808.txt embyserver-63798356370.txt hardware_detection-63798356564.txt embyserver.txt

JPgruenewald

Hi @Luke thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm still facing the issue. Today I was able to reproduce it immediately with the first try. In case you need further information for debugging please let me now.

• 3 weeks later...
JPgruenewald

I added both albums and then I randomly pick a song that is longer than 3 minutes (e.g. "Gangster Blues" from the album "Signs Of A Struggle" by clicking the green play button in the album view - see attached picture). Then nothing happens and I have to press the play button in the lower bar to get the music started. After that I switch to some other browser tab, and wait for the issue.

The music files are provided here.

image.png

After that I switch to some other browser tab, and wait for the issue.

Does this happen if you don't switch tabs and keep the Emby web app in the foreground?

JPgruenewald

Does this happen if you don't switch tabs and keep the Emby web app in the foreground?

No, I tried it with several different examples. It behaves oddly. Even when I was active in a non-emby-tab today I could provoke the behavior only once. And I really needed many attempts...

The only thing that has changed since then is that I am now using version 4.8.0.7 beta.

I will investigate the behavior again in the next two days. My feeling is that it has become better (more stable) with the update.

Ok thanks for the update. The two most likely causes are some kind of playback failure or the browser pausing the background tab after a period of time.

JPgruenewald

The two most likely causes are some kind of playback failure or the browser pausing the background tab after a period of time.

Yep, I think the same. Some update mechanisms are not working properly in this case because some side is signaling/assuming an inactive state for the emby-tab.
I'll give another update soon. Btw: Right now, as I write this message, it is happening again. Maybe it's caused by https://emby.media 🤣😜

JPgruenewald

@Luke I tested it several times today. It seems that it is only happening when the emby tab is not the active tab of the browser. Even with connected Ethernet the issue is happing. I can't figure out how to reliably reproduce this problem. It needs up to 10 times until it occurs. 

My steps are:

1. Go to the album tab
  2. Choose some album (with more than 10 songs)
  3. Choose some song with duration longer than 3 minutes
  4. Press the green play button that is visible in front of the song name
  5. The play menu is opened at the bottom of the page, then I have to press the grey/white play button there again to start the playback (btw. is that a bug too?)
  6. Go to some other tab, load a new page do some stuff with the new page, then go to some other page (I think it's important to keep the non-emby tab busy)
  7. If the song is played until the end start again from step 1. with some song from another album

I know how ungrateful it is when you can't reproduce a bug. I hope the above steps and enough retries with different songs work for you.... i'm not really happy about not being able to give more specifics...

1. The play menu is opened at the bottom of the page, then I have to press the grey/white play button there again to start the playback (btw. is that a bug too?)

No. The browser thinks we're trying to autoplay audio and isn't allowing it, thus forcing  you to click another button.

• Thanks 1

Right now this looks to me like the browser is just pausing the background tab. I'm not sure what we're going to be able to do to overcome that if that's true.

JPgruenewald

Right now this looks to me like the browser is just pausing the background tab. I'm not sure what we're going to be able to do to overcome that if that's true.

I am not familiar with the technical details of emby, but with Spotify etc. there are no problems. Also, after the song is canceled, the next song in the queue is started.

Have you updated to macOS 12.6? I notice now with the updated Safari it's not requiring the second click anymore when starting playback.

JPgruenewald

Have you updated to macOS 12.6?

Yes, it's already on version 12.6. The Safari version is 16.0 (17614.1.25.9.10, 17614). I need 2 clicks anyway 😐

OK that's odd. I'm not seeing that. I was also able to play for a good hour last night with the Emby web app in the background.

JPgruenewald
20 hours ago, Luke said:

OK that's odd. I'm not seeing that. I was also able to play for a good hour last night with the Emby web app in the background.

I guess you were working on some foreground tab right? I'll try to debug this problem in more detail on next weekend. Indeed it's a really strange problem...

I wouldn't call it working. I more or less just let it sit, but I picked a busy site in hopes that I might see the browser pause the tab.

JPgruenewald
35 minutes ago, Luke said:

I wouldn't call it working. I more or less just let it sit, but I picked a busy site in hopes that I might see the browser pause the tab.

Okay, besides the result this approach seems reasonable. I would have done it the same way 🙂

JPgruenewald

It seems as if Safari is the problem. I haven't had this problem with Chrome yet. The play button double click issue is also gone. I'll have a look at the Safari settings in the next few days.

• Thanks 1

JPgruenewald

I can't tell what the problem is with Safari. Actually I have not blocked anything (see picture). For me, Chrome is fine as a workaround for now. But it is not the solution to the problem :(

image.png.bbbab2496732a530508a914d744a3b50.png

• 2 weeks later...
jmunowitch

I am actually running into this problem with videos! It will auto check the video as watched and act as though the video was watched to the end.

I can confirm that it is happening in Safari on my computer and my MIL's computer when she watches on Safari. It is not just when the video is in the background. It does not happen at the same time in the video, but some videos do it and others don't.

This is on Safari 16.0 and 16.1.

I tested the videos on chrome and they play continuously just fine. 

Is there something I can do to help send info? 

• Agree 1