Email tracker?

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I recently changed to using DuckDuckGo's email option. One of the things it does is forward emails to the actual recipient after removing trackers. 

I get trackers, a lot of them, from most of the automatic emails I receive and they get removed as expected and I have not seen any adverse effects to any, including Emby. However I have been surprised that the emails from Emby has a tracker that gets removed. It is only one tracker "admin@emby.media" but I do not see any real reason for there to be any tracker at all.

I wonder if Emby knows about the tracker (It could be something some entity is adding unknown to Emby) and I wonder what purpose it could serve. The only info I see about the tracker is that it is from admin@emby.media. It is also not a "Link tracker."

BTW: For those that care: The Duck email forwarding service works very well with no noticeable delay or interference and Duck does not store any info at all. But there are some services, Amazon is one, whose emails get lost somewhere in the process. My guess is that there are some email services that have to have totally intact headers to work correctly.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

There are no trackers in our emails. We have no need (or desire) to track when and where our emails are opened. No other entities are inserting content into our emails.

DuckDuckGo is apparently treating any remote image in an email as a "tracker". Opening an email from us with remote images would show in our web logs as an image being requested from a particular IP address, but without a unique identifier as part of the image URL there would be no way of knowing by whom and from which email it was being accessed. None of our emails contain images with URLs that are unique to the email or to the recipient.

admin@emby.media is the email address used to send almost all of our forum-related emails.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2