[Shield Pro + HDfury Arcana] Dolby Vision: Netflix, yes. Emby, no.

mbguy

Dizzy49
On 11/26/2022 at 10:57 AM, FrostByte said:

They aren't cheap either.  You could have probably spent the extra $450 US on an LG with DV

That would have been a tough find.  $900 for an 86" with updated specs, 2022 Nano was $1600, and the MiniLEDs start at like $2000.  The other thing is that I didn't really have the extra $500 to spend right now.  If I needed the HDFury I could add it after Xmas or something.  As it is, it's a freaking miracle that my wife gave me the OK on this one :D  I think she is still mad about how bad GoT and HoD looked on our old TV.

• Like 1

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, Dizzy49 said:

... how bad GoT and HoD looked on our old TV.

.. best you get HDR10+ working then 😉- as the difference between DV and HDR10 on those very 'dark' shows is (on my OLED), night and day.     Could be my HDR profile needs to be made brighter, but DV is by design dynamically brightening those scenes .. the same as what HDR10+ should be doing..

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte

The Vertex 2 supports HDR10+, but my Shield doesn't pass HDR10+ so all I get is HDR light on my Samsung without the metadata when using the Shield.

600MHz/18Gbps HDR, HDR10+, HLG, DV & LLDV, eARC, ALLM, IMAX

I'm waiting for CES to see if anything new is coming out, but I may switch to a HD Fury or Zidoo which both support all forms of HDR

• Like 1

rbjtech

Shield Pro 2023 has gotta be out soon  😀.  I looked at a Zidoo and while very capable hardware, its custom Android and thus no support as a native emby client.   I seem to recall hdr being okbut not a lot else .. but this was maybe a year/18 months ago to be fair.

Blame Samsung .. seriously,  they must be losing a huge amount of sales as they still refuse to support DV - which has 90% plus of the dynamic hdr market...

• Like 1

Dizzy49
8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

.. best you get HDR10+ working then 😉-

I'm not sure the LG 86UQ7590 supports HDR10+, the material mentions "Active HDR" they call "HDR10 Pro" but that's it.

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Shield Pro 2023 has gotta be out soon  😀

I know, I've been waiting for the next one to come out to get one!  It's nearly 2023, four years is a long time to go between releases for that.  They were prob focused on the Steam Deck for a while (which I own and absolutely love!)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 2:13 AM, rbjtech said:

Depends on the DV profile - if DV5 - then unless the TV is doing colour space mapping - then you'll get the purple/green mess -

I just got a new Projector, Nexigo's Aurora Pro, which has native Dolby Vision support.

However, when playing back DV5 files using Emby, the TV-led DV mode on the projector is not getting engaged, leading to the "purple/green mess."

It's been almost a year since we last had these discussions here, is Emby still not detecting DV5 content and sending proper DV flags to the display device?

rbjtech
26 minutes ago, mbguy said:

I just got a new Projector, Nexigo's Aurora Pro, which has native Dolby Vision support.

However, when playing back DV5 files using Emby, the TV-led DV mode on the projector is not getting engaged, leading to the "purple/green mess."

It's been almost a year since we last had these discussions here, is Emby still not detecting DV5 content and sending proper DV flags to the display device?

Emby isn't the issue here - DV5 works perfectly well on every device I have used with Emby - as it's just passing through the raw data - it's the end devices that does the DV processing.

Remember DV5 is a different colour space vs DV7 and DV8 (that have an HDR10 fallback layer - DV5 does not) - so there is a possibility, your projector does not support DV5 (but tbh, I'd be very surprised if it did not)..

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 2:34 AM, rbjtech said:

so there is a possibility, your projector does not support DV5 (but tbh, I'd be very surprised if it did not)..

Not sure what's wrong with my Shield Pro, I tested Emby on FireTV, then my Projector decodes DV5 just fine, so the problem is isolated to the Shield. At least I know it's not an Emby issue, thanks!

rbjtech
2 hours ago, mbguy said:

Not sure what's wrong with my Shield Pro, I tested Emby on FireTV, then my Projector decodes DV5 just fine, so the problem is isolated to the Shield. At least I know it's not an Emby issue, thanks!

That's interesting - and tbh the very first time on these forums where a FireTV worked when a Shield Pro did not.

Do you have 'Dolby Processing' enabled on the Shield ?  (In Audio Settings I believe) That 'might' be adding some post processing that your Projector does not like.