Libraries vanish empty themselves when network path is not accessible

Fretawekakoep

Fretawekakoep

Was this ever resolved or a workaround in later releases? I have a similar issue.

Part of my library is stored on a remote disk that is mounted via CFS/SMB to my NAS, where Emby is running and the main library is stored.

After a disconnected disk, the movies are being deleted from the library and I will need to do a full reboot of both NAS and Emby, do a full re-scan (sometimes it takes a couple of times) to get them back. Metadata is stored with the media but still need to do some manual fixes in terms of selecting proper backgrounds or covers which are missed or not properly recovered. Strange thing is that Movies is much more affected by this compared to TV Series.

Fretawekakoep

Another example. Even after adjusting the scheduled task to re-scan after application restart - still it loses connection with the SMB/CFS mapped drive via the Qnap interface.

But only for movies - TV series are working and showing in the library

Remote Disk {Windows PC} was continuously on so connection loss is not a factor - also no such notification in QNAP

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-5f9ebb2e-a00f-4f80-8017-577e8e87bdde_1.txt

• 3 weeks later...
stephen_hill

I'm curious, how does Emby handle missing directories or files?

I personally would expect it to work like Kodi . In Kodi when an entry is unavailable on disk it remains in the library but cannot be played. You have to manually run a clean-up task to remove entries which are no longer on disk.

I like the way Kodi does it because it mean any intermittent hardware or network issue, does not affect your library.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:10 AM, stephen_hill said:

I'm curious, how does Emby handle missing directories or files?

I personally would expect it to work like Kodi . In Kodi when an entry is unavailable on disk it remains in the library but cannot be played. You have to manually run a clean-up task to remove entries which are no longer on disk.

I like the way Kodi does it because it mean any intermittent hardware or network issue, does not affect your library.

If the entire mount is unreachable, then it stays in the library and the server assumes it is offline.

But the mount is reachable and some folder underneath that is gone, then the server treats that as content having been deleted.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Fretawekakoep

Was this fixed in the latest release Luke? Seems like the content stays in the library or is being picked up immediately if the mounted drive is available. Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Fretawekakoep said:

Was this fixed in the latest release Luke? Seems like the content stays in the library or is being picked up immediately if the mounted drive is available. Thanks a lot!

It should be a bit improved now, yes.

• Thanks 1