Remote Connection Failing / Timeout

VJzenzub
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

VJzenzub

Well, while I tested remote connection on the browser on my phone via LTE and that test was successful, now that I've traveled and it's go-time, I'm running into timeouts when trying to connect to the server. I've tried accessing both on mobile and via a Roku streaming stick. Being on location, I can't do as much to troubleshoot on the server side and don't expect resolution until returning, but maybe I'm missing something obvious to someone else.

Remote access is verified enabled for all users on the server. I also have the remote IP noted for manual connection, and have Emby Connect logged in successfully and also enabled that server-side for all users. Server router is UPnP for automatic port forwarding, but maybe it is failing in this case? Firewall is temporarily off on the server, just in case that provoked an issue. I hope that covers all the setup details.

The error received when manually attempting remote Connection via the Roku is "-7: Failed to connect to 68.__.__.__ port 8096 after 3114 ms: no route to host" 

I've omitted most of the IP above but if it's really needed, just let me know. I've verified it's the correct IP; not a silly typo. I'm also wondering if the router where I am currently staying might be the issue; just speculating for lack of other ideas.

Any guidance is appreciated. Would like to resolve for future use as much for the present. Thank you for any thoughts and your time.

visproduction

VJ, They will ask you for log files.  There are several server setup requirements that you must do. I found that dedicating an IP address in the server and then making the ports open for traffic are important server steps.   You can test it from home, by going to the remote IP address, even though you are local.  That will make it easier to trouble shoot.

Hope that helps.

VJzenzub
2 hours ago, visproduction said:

VJ, They will ask you for log files.  There are several server setup requirements that you must do. I found that dedicating an IP address in the server and then making the ports open for traffic are important server steps.   You can test it from home, by going to the remote IP address, even though you are local.  That will make it easier to trouble shoot.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, vis. I'll grab logs from server side when I get home in a week for sure. Not sure I can do that client side without connecting. Doesn't look like it.

Static IP isn't described as a requirement AFAIK, so that strikes me as odd regarding Emby Connect in particular. In any case, I validated the IP by calling family still home and able to check the dashboard. So I am ruling out incorrect IP conclusively as a cause. I also verified the router is UPnP out of the box.

VJzenzub

I did not, and I suspect that is on the right track. I did just one test of access on the mobile's browser while on LTE using the IP and port, and once that succeeded figured I was good to go.

This morning I tried connecting on the Roku client just for the hell of it, no changes made, and it worked, for a time. Ran a TV show episode 1/3 through before the remote connection dropped. 

My gut is telling me manual port forwarding instead of relying on the UPnP might solve it.

25 minutes ago, VJzenzub said:

My gut is telling me manual port forwarding instead of relying on the UPnP might solve it.

If it is working intermittently, then I don't think that would be the case.  Either the port is forwarded properly or it isn't.

VJzenzub
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Did you verify that your port(s) are forwarded properly and accessible with something like canyouseeme.org?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Failed for both 8096 and 8920. Went back into router config on server side, put in the manual port forwarding for 8096. 

Connection successful now. No idea why intermittent access and a false positive browser test was possible before, but here we are. Lesson learned: manual port forward; do not bank on UPnP for remote access.

Thank you visproduction and ebr for your troubleshooting assistance. 

• Thanks 1